Car Covers & Wind - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Detailing / Car Care Want to talk about detailing your Dodge Challenger? Are you fanatical about the care and upkeep of your Challenger? Tell us about it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,750 Times in 1,885 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Car Covers & Wind

Over the years, I have tried two of Covercraft's top car covers- Weathshield, a high tech/light weight cover and the heavier Noah. The Weathershield flapped a lot of windy days and actually tore (twice). I have found that the Noah performs much better on windy days, although it only lasts for about two years before the sun deteriorates the fabric. The great thing about Covercraft covers is that you get a free replacement if they fail before the warranty expires. I have gotten three free replacements this way.

Even though the Noah is the superior cover, I still use 5 lb. sand bags on the front fender corners and the base of the windshield to keep it in place on very windy days. (Optional plastic wind gust clamps are useless).

Does anyone use another car cover that holds up better on windy days?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,567 Posts
Garage
I've used the Noah covers for years and had the Evolution III / IV covers in past.

Probably what I'd recommend (since your SRT lives outside and doesn't get driven in the snowy season) - is probably two covers.

A Noah for the dust protection (and its a soft cover) and and Sunbrella material cover that will hold up to the UV.

I had one Noah cover that made it 13 years - I'd use it at work since we had an open lot. Eventually the thing deteriorated from UV exposure and I got a new one.

My vehicles are garaged, so the covers mainly see usage on non rainy days with a clean car when at work.

There's also their Ultratect, Weathershield HP and Carhartt covers - probably see which of those would provide the best all around protection and last with UV exposure.

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 07:18 AM

Garage
I had both a Mopar cover and a generic one from EBAY. Held both in place by connecting the two side eyelets together, under the car, with a nice snug bungie cord. Never had either cover blow off or even corners come up in 5 Western PA winters (Car sat outside from Thangsgiving until snow melt (mid-March) every year.

K-DAWG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 01:25 PM
Premium Member

I second what Hal said.

When I had a 1970 Challenger, I had no garage. I would use 2 car covers, with the outer cover being pulled tight by tieing a rope between the two eyelets. It would withstand 30-40 MPH winds easily.

The outer cover did have to be replaced every 2 years from wear from the sun, and the elastic starting to getting loose.

2016 SXT+ Airaid CAI. Fastman ported throttle body. Bright pedals. Billet Technology catch can. Petty front shock tower brace. 1 of 524 Plumb-crazy SXT's for 2016.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,750 Times in 1,885 Posts
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal H View Post
Probably what I'd recommend (since your SRT lives outside and doesn't get driven in the snowy season) - is probably two covers. A Noah for the dust protection (and its a soft cover) and and Sunbrella material cover that will hold up to the UV.
Thanks for the advice, but the Covercraft Sunbrella car cover is too pricey at $510. I think that I will just use the $265 Noah and return it to Covercraft for a free replacement every 2-3 years. Covercraft is great about honoring its 4-year warranty and I have received 3 free covers over the years.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 04:59 AM

I have found best, and I will be checking into it next year if I start on a project that requires my garage to be in use, is to either rent a garage or a storage space to put my Challenger in.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 04:15 PM

Garage
I am looking for a car cover and would like to know everyone's thoughts on the Mopar car covers? My car is outside all the time and under trees and the droppings from animals that peruse the trees are what I want to stop.

2016 Challenger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker
Pitch Black W Black/Ruby Red premium leather seats
6.4 Litre SRT Hemi / 6M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Detailing / Car Care

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode