Detailing and protecting matte black - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Detailing / Car Care Want to talk about detailing your Dodge Challenger? Are you fanatical about the care and upkeep of your Challenger? Tell us about it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Detailing and protecting matte black

I've been looking around for some answers to this but I can't find anything clear. I have the matte black shaker scoop and spoiler on my challenger and with South Florida's brutal sun i never leave any part of the car without protection. The paint gets Meguiars Ultimate Wax, and the rims get Poorboy's wheel sealant. Headlights get PlastiX. I'm at a loss for the scoop and spoiler as they are matte black and I've never really dealt with this type of finish. On my other car's I use mother back to Black , but I don't want the area to be shiny. Additionally Back to Black seems to stay oily and doesn't really dry. I don't want any Back to Black on the rest of the car(painted surfaces). My question is, what do you guys use for Matte Black finish? Will regular polymer was do the trick to protect? What about the vinyl stripes? I've heard some people just leave the stripes alone and others say that coating with synthetic wax is ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 02:11 PM

I live in South Florida, I have matte black vinyl stripes on my Challenger, I was told to use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik detailer for the vinyl stripes. I've been using it for about 2 months and it looks fine to me. Not extra shiny. You should try it on a small portion and see how it works. I think it's only $6 a bottle. However, for the black trim near the bottom of the car, I use carPro Dlux.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 02:14 PM

Thanked 4,373 Times in 2,881 Posts
Aerospace 303. I put that shit on everything
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAG Free1471205665.821076.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	713498

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 04:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
I Am in Southwest FL , I use 303,on the black under the door ,back end , hell I use on my Jeep also , and my detail spray wax ,, no problem on my hood strip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	817.2 KB
ID:	713601  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 sublime RT plus / STP, sun roof, Corsa sport
Mopar CAI, Scat Stage1 Mopar PCM,Mopar Front tower strut with billet caps
Billet Technology Catch Can and ID plate ,,Window tint with windshield strip , Mopar trunk mat, dead pedal. Asanti chrome wheels with BF Comp-2 A/S
Mr Kustom Green Challenger puddle lights.Green Diode Dynamics engine bay lights .
Old school pin striping by Dagger Lynn. Headrest embroidered by A~Z Design ,Pedal Commander

Last edited by Beachlovers2; 08-14-2016 at 04:03 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 04:22 PM

As many have said, Aerospace 303 is grear for flat black but Chadwick's Triple Play is too and it does everything else. It has changed my life
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 04:23 PM

Leo, I too have a shaker and black spoiler to protect. Not Fla but plenty of beating sun in NC. I only use Adams products on my car and they have two items that are fantastic on both of these areas. First is Super VRT, great from trim to tires. Its a quick drying thick liquid you apply with a sponge and wipes off on any over applied areas easy. Great thing is it has some gloss but a light wiping will remove any shine but keeps it protected. The other product I really love that I use is their In & Out spray. Its a aerosol can that I now use all the time on my shaker, wiper arms, and under the hood. Its small height really is great when trying to get to those hard to reach spots on anything that needs protection to prevent fading.

2015 392 HEMI SP Shaker, B5 blue, A8, Sunroof, Convenience Group, Navigation, Stripe delete

Mar 10th - Ordered
Mar 12th - Recv'd Vin#
Mar 13th - D status, parts on order
Mar 31st - D1 status, all parts avail
Apr 22nd - E & F status, Frame & Paint
Apr 23rd - G status, Trim
Apr 24th - J status, QI/Built
Apr 24th - JB status, Bolton, Shaker install
May 15th - KZ status, Shipped
May 16th - Window sticker, 22 ETAs 5/26 - 6/22
Jun 22nd - SHE's HOME

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys,

I'll look into 303 since i've never heard of it before. B5, i've heard great things about Adams so i'll definitely check it out too. Chuck, i have the quick detailer and it does do a great job at popping out the shine,not sure how well it protect though.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 10:36 PM

Thanked 4,336 Times in 2,707 Posts
Garage
I use the "303" Protectant on all black parts, rubber parts, and the stripes.

For the stripes, I usually only apply once, maybe twice a year. After every wash though, I use the new "303" Speed Detailer on the whole car. It has "UV" protectant in it too.

I'm really liking the new line of "303" products.

Looks better than new

The Past: 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T "Classic" RIP Old Buddy 6/4/15

The Present: 2016 R/T Scat Pack. Factory Options: B5 Blue, 24G Package(A8), WRT Wheels, and Modern R/T Hood Stripe. Engine HP Mods: None Needed. HC Air Box/Tube; DIPs Screen; BT Catch Can; Mopar front Brace;"TA" style side stripes; Mopar '10 Center Caps
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 10:44 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Aldairion
Great timing, I was gonna ask this same question myself. Thanks for the tips, all

2016 Challenger R/T+ Shaker
M6 | Bright White | Ruby-Red

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 11:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp392 View Post
Aerospace 303. I put that shit on everything
Attachment 713498

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I use the Aerospace wipes for my interior dash - it works great. Haven't thought about using it on my Scat Pack stripes - will have to give that a shot!

2016 R/T Scat Pack / Pitch Black / 6 Speed Manual

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Detailing / Car Care

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode