Dodge Challenger Forum banner

is 85mm throttle worth it ?

4K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  cdahl383 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi i have dodge challenger 6.4 full bolts on ,cammed does it worth to cnc the stock throttle to 85mm?

#2 ·
Nope leave it be. Waste of money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I vote with the tb since you already have a cam and boltons, increasing the airflow WILL help. Its when guys throw a ported throttle body on a stock car is when it makes no sense.

I say go for it bigger throttle body means more air and more importantly it speeds up the air. If you find someone to port the throttle body flap Bar between the screws, that will help when 100% open as well

Good luck

#4 ·
Unless the throttle body is bore all the way thru both sides and by the butterfly plate it is pointless. And if it is a TRU BORE throttle body then the tune will be messed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
From what I have read, the benefit of a larger TB comes when using forced induction. I also read that a member (car was NA) pulled the air filter during a drag run and saw an improvement, which to me suggest the filter is the biggest restrictor not the TB. If anything, swap in the air filter from an HC (MAHLE LX3482) the next time you need a new filter. That is assuming you are still running a stock airbox.

#7 ·
You're guaranteed to see more gain than spending 1 or 2 grand on aftermarket wheels...???. If you threw a cam in already then why not dress it up, just do it for the prospect of a better response and you won't be sorry.

#12 ·
Yes it is worth it. But you have to get the right one. The popular MM 87mm TB does nothing but give better throttle response. The Fastman 84mm TB will give you better throttle response AND a performance increase.

I noticed a small gain at the track with the Fastman over stock or MM. Less than a tenth, but on average my passes were faster, as well as with higher MPH.

The Fastman 84mm is actually a larger bore TB, whereas the MM is still 80mm like stock in the center. I bought a used TB off of a forum member here a while back, shipped it off to Dan at Fastman, had him work his magic, and he sent it back a couple weeks later.

If you've already got bolt ons and a cam, you would definitely pick up something. You may need to adjust your tune though after the install. Talk to your tuner about that.

#16 ·
I have an Arrington 84mm throttle body in my car as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.