Cervinis ram air kit vs. typical CAI - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Intake & Exhaust This area is for the discussion of everything related to intake and exhaust, from the air intake/CAI to the tail pipe.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Cervinis ram air kit vs. typical CAI

Hey everyone. I'm looking for some opinions. I have been looking at the Cervinis ram air kit for a while now. I'm trying to decide if it is worth the trouble/risk of installation vs just using a typical CAI with a downspout. I know your not going to get a ton of gains from either one, but I'd like to know if the ram air kit has better air flow than your typical CAI. If you have one, do you feel like it was worth it? If you had a typical aftermarket CAI, would you still replace it with the ram air kit?

I currently have a Corsa closed box intake similar to the one in the link below. I like it, but it can be a real PITA to replace the air filters and the replacement filters are around $95 a pop. Just curious to see what others experienced or your opinions on the subject.

My intake: https://www.americanmuscle.com/corsa...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is the link to the ram air kit in case you haven't seen it:

https://www.cervinis.com/08-12challe...m-air-kit.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Villain For This Useful Post:
jgraham70 (05-08-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villain View Post
Hey everyone. I'm looking for some opinions. I have been looking at the Cervinis ram air kit for a while now. I'm trying to decide if it is worth the trouble/risk of installation vs just using a typical CAI with a downspout. I know your not going to get a ton of gains from either one, but I'd like to know if the ram air kit has better air flow than your typical CAI. If you have one, do you feel like it was worth it? If you had a typical aftermarket CAI, would you still replace it with the ram air kit?

I currently have a Corsa closed box intake similar to the one in the link below. I like it, but it can be a real PITA to replace the air filters and the replacement filters are around $95 a pop. Just curious to see what others experienced or your opinions on the subject.

My intake: https://www.americanmuscle.com/corsa...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is the link to the ram air kit in case you haven't seen it:

https://www.cervinis.com/08-12challe...m-air-kit.html
Your "typical" aluminum down tube hung off the throttle body with a cone filter on it, all of which rest inside the engine bay is not an actual "ram air" system, nor is it a "cold air" system, despite the "CAI" tag line some manfs apply to them.
Its simply pulling in hot underhood air, is subject to heat transfer from the aluminum tube to the incoming air charge and serves zero perf increase. Think about it. Your underhood temp is hot, compared to outside. It also is mostly static in regards to flow - again, compared to the outside of a car in motion - why would anyone want to suck hot underhood air in and think its going to help perf.
Its almost opposite of even basic logic.
Hemis love cold air, lots & lots of it, as do most engines. so in many cases, a system like that is actually hurting perf. This leads to buyers claiming that CAI's are not worth any gains. They simply have an poorly designed system, built by peiople who do not care to understand how it all works.
Cool air, drawn or better still - forced in - from outside the car - will help perf. Its not huge gains, but 8-10hp is not uncommon from a good system. Like many things, it works in conjunction with other systems. So its not always a "gain" in HP, but rather a maximization of all potential HP that engine is capable of, in its current state of tune, controls, etc.

To answer your question, the Cervinis looks like a very viable option. Air coems in from the high pressure zone of the hood where air is both cool and under pressure and flows it directly into the air box via the ducting. Perfect and is a true CAI.
IMHO, thats the best system for pre 15 challengers. The only flaw to that system is the small size of the hood scoops themselves.

2015 Mods:
Hellcat Intake w/ AEM hi-flow filter.
GenPartsCo-USA D.I.P.S. air catcher screens.
Axis Model II's.
Firestone Indy 275/40/20
Rolling Thunder Reso delete.
Exteremevinyls side marker tints.
GPC Trunk Pull Handle.
Spare/Jack/Foam Delete.
GPC Phantoms.
Mopar O.E. Black Fuel Door.
Hellcat OE. ABS Cover.
Rear Seat Delete.
2014 Dodge Viper Seats.
Custom Fire Extinguisher & Mount.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hemi4us For This Useful Post:
Fawls (05-09-2019), trippytro (05-09-2019), Villain (05-14-2019)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
@hemi4us Thank you for the reply. The explanation clears things up. I was kind of thinking along those same lines. Not sure how you get "cold air" from under a hot engine lol. I'm definitley leaning towards the purchase. I've seen a few other posts in regards to this particular ram air kit and most all of them have been positive. Think I know what my next purchase may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:29 AM

I put one on my 2010 SRT8. Looked great. Got a lot of compliments on it. As far as performance, who knows? I did this and a Blastin Bobs Red Delete at the same time. Did seem to run better. In theory it should work. The new Hellcat hood add 10hp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67D964E3-F9EA-4A46-82E0-B4FACC4A3709.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	959.1 KB
ID:	945309  

Last edited by SRT8 Mike; 05-09-2019 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Pic.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:59 AM

I looked at these and was disappointed that they were not available for my 2015 so, I did the Air Catcher mod instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications > Intake & Exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode