Driveshaft - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Intake & Exhaust This area is for the discussion of everything related to intake and exhaust, from the air intake/CAI to the tail pipe.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Driveshaft

I put a custom exhaust on my car and I plan on getting an aftermarket like a borla or something performance instead of noise. My muffler was slightly rubbing on my driveshaft so now I’m looking to get a new upgraded driveshaft and performance bolt on exhaust on my 2015 3.6 challenger SXT any suggestions???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,712 Times in 2,809 Posts
Garage
I have the Solo Mach XV-CH for almost 12,000 miles. No issues with clearance with stock driveshaft. Pictures taken during install

A Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
The Following User Says Thank You to A Guy For This Useful Post:
ChallyTatum (05-29-2019)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:47 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
If your OEM driveshaft is rubbing your exhaust I don't see how getting an "upgraded" (do you mean 1" piece...if so it will make it worse) driveshaft will help?

On my RT I run a 4" one piece drive shaft and corsa extreme exhaust...I barely have ~3/8"" clearance from the mid mufflers but I get absolutely no rubbing...and that was before installing the diff brace which helps limit driveshaft movement as the pinion side of the diff does not move as much. I had to mess around with the rubber hangers to get the exhaust to droop just right...otherwise I would have had to pound on the mufflers for clearance.

@A Guy ...woah that under carriage is uber clean...do you wax the bottom as well?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)

Last edited by ChallyTatum; 05-29-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallyTatum View Post
If your OEM driveshaft is rubbing your exhaust I don't see how getting an "upgraded" (do you mean 1" piece...if so it will make it worse) driveshaft will help?

On my RT I run a 4" one piece drive shaft and corsa extreme exhaust...I barely have ~3/8"" clearance from the mid mufflers but I get absolutely no rubbing...and that was before installing the diff brace which helps limit driveshaft movement as the pinion side of the diff does not move as much. I had to mess around with the rubber hangers to get the exhaust to droop just right...otherwise I would have had to pound on the mufflers for clearance.

@A Guy ...woah that under carriage is uber clean...do you wax the bottom as well?!

It’s rubbing because when it was welded and put in my uncle didn’t leave enough clearance for the driveshaft so now it’s rubbing on the muffler and we fixed it temporarily but now it’s to the point where I’m sick of messing with it

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2010 View Post
It’s rubbing because when it was welded and put in my uncle didn’t leave enough clearance for the driveshaft so now it’s rubbing on the muffler and we fixed it temporarily but now it’s to the point where I’m sick of messing with it

I would say your only option is to pound on the mufflers until you have enough clearance or heat the pipes so you can bend them away from the driveshaft. You most likely will need to disconnect the system at the mid-pipe connection to give you room...or use an air chisel with a blunt or "soft" tip.

Otherwise you could try to shim the diff but that is way more trouble than it is worth.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I would say your only option is to pound on the mufflers until you have enough clearance or heat the pipes so you can bend them away from the driveshaft. You most likely will need to disconnect the system at the mid-pipe connection to give you room...or use an air chisel with a blunt or "soft" tip.

Otherwise you could try to shim the diff but that is way more trouble than it is worth.

I really want to just get a performance exhaust because theres some minor imperfections on the one me and my uncle fabricated and I’m looking HP wherever I can find it

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2010 View Post
I really want to just get a performance exhaust because theres some minor imperfections on the one me and my uncle fabricated and I’m looking HP wherever I can find it

You won't find power from a cat back, you'll only find noise!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Julian For This Useful Post:
Cominfromcamaro (05-30-2019)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:09 AM

^^^what he said. Now if you go long tube headers (or even shorties)...that is a different story.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,712 Times in 2,809 Posts
Garage
Quote:

Lol, that was just under 600 miles when I had exhaust installed. Not had that view since. Shiny on top has been my focus, lol

A Guy
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 04:15 PM

I had almost the same problem. I went to a custom muffler shop and they weld a elbow to both sides and solved my problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications > Intake & Exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode