Exhaust - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Intake & Exhaust This area is for the discussion of everything related to intake and exhaust, from the air intake/CAI to the tail pipe.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Exhaust

This is something that everyone talks about. V6 to v8.. I recently cut the resonators off my 18 challenger (3.6l). Wanting a different sound. The drone is getting kinda boring. Obviously I'm not getting a 1000$+ exhaust system. Was thinking about a thrush welded muffler of even a super 10 or 40series. Any good opinions worth mentioning? I'm only wanting the muffler setup. It's affordable at my budget right now. I know for sure having a V8 sound isn't gonna happen which is okay. It's not a V8 anyways. But would like a sound still that resembles bald eagles on start up and driving down the road. Even the thought of straight piping, but I don't want it obnoxiously loud, that I'm even embarrassed to drive it. Any opinions would be great. Thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Anyone at all?

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:09 PM

I went with the Borla atak cat back set up on mine, I didnt want to be bothered trying this & that & in the end not be happy & still turn around & spend the moneys on a cat back so I bit the bullet rite away.
It has a nice sound dont matter where you are on the throttle & there is no drone to speak of.
I am totally happy & everyone compliments how nice it sounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Does it have any good raspy sounds at all? Kinda like older model cars.?
Not like Honda's lol

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:58 PM

Garage
Blastinbob has several options for axle back systems for replacing the resonators, they should help with drone.
I think even the most expensive is under 400 shipped

2018 Challenger F8 Scat Pack 392 M6

IG f8dragon
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:12 PM

Put the resonators back on and go with different mids to get the sound that you are looking for. There are tons of YouTube videos now on different SXT mufflers and cat-backs. I know A Guy has a pretty sweet set up. I am totally impressed by the sound that his baby produces. Hopefully he will chime in or you can search the massive amounts of data here for several previous threads on the topic.

Good Luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:57 PM
Premium Member

I'm with ChallengerBoston. You don't want to eliminate the resonators. They stop the drone. I know you are trying to do this on a budget, so I won't talk about the catback systems. Concentrate on the mid-mufflers.

2016 SXT+ Airaid CAI. Fastman ported throttle body. Bright pedals. Billet Technology catch can. Petty front shock tower brace. 1 of 524 Plumb-crazy SXT's for 2016.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanedurr92 View Post
Does it have any good raspy sounds at all? Kinda like older model cars.?
Not like Honda's lol

It does not sound like a honda at all that would be sacrilegious, heres a vid & it really doesnt do it justice but its as close to the real sound Ive herd.
Like also mentioned all kinds of vids on youtube of what others have done without doing a cat back

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,422 Times in 2,617 Posts
Garage
The Borla Atak is the most aggressive. It has resonators, so no drone. I have the Solo cat back. I didn't reply as the OP said he didn't want to spend $1000 on a cat back. Well, the Borla is $1500, and the Solo will set you back $835. I never rev my car like in the picture. I'm not a hater obviously, but the V6 just sounds lame compared to a V8. Obviously it sounds better than stock. I'm happy with the sound, and the looks of the quad round tips. I took these with an iPad with the window open soon after the Solo was installed. They don't do the sound justice, but you get some idea

I added an AirAid CAI and the sound deepened. It sounds good cruising, but really shines at WOT. Never sound like a V8, but 100% better than stock. Zero drone with the J-Pipes, and no pops or crackles (I know some like that, lol).

RIPP makes a V6 exhaust that sounds good in their videos

But again, $1,250

I can't say what just changing mid mufflers, and which ones, as all the videos sound similar. Frankly, as I've said before, you can't make it sound great, only get some better sound. It does scream in a good way at WOT. After a laser car wash, I take it on the freeway for a while at 70+ to get most of the water off. There is a long sweeping tunnel to get on the freeway. I always roll down the windows, turn down the radio, and floor it through the tunnel, lol.

A Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:05 PM

I am quite aware what the Borla system is worth and what the Solo system is worth, I spent a few months listening, reading & pricing them all.
I also seen peeps spend nearly as much money deleting this & that & taking it to shops numerous times to try and in the end they were still not fully satisfied, your rite A guy if they want it to sound like a 8 it wont but you can make it sound So So much better than stock & it doesnt have to be only at WOT.

All I was trying to do was give the op a full picture to think about, so many options & directions to possibly go.

Happy searching dylanedurr92 let us know how you make out.
The Following User Says Thank You to metalhead For This Useful Post:
dylanedurr92 (04-17-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications > Intake & Exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in