Really dumb questions about CAI... - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Intake & Exhaust This area is for the discussion of everything related to intake and exhaust, from the air intake/CAI to the tail pipe.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Really dumb questions about CAI...

Okay, first off I know that the gains are minimal but I always like the fun of hearing the larger filter at first, I like wasting money I guess.

Anyways, dumb questions...saw the Legmaker, can’t find anything about install, someone mentioned cutting the wheel well??

With the Hellcat box, can you fit a larger conical air filter like what’s found on the normal CAI you install?

Here’s why I started this thread...how on earth can you install a CAI with an open top if the hood has the vent directly above the filter?! Wouldn’t it just suck in all the water/rain and right into your engine? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6297.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	474.7 KB
ID:	945987

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,783 Times in 2,862 Posts
Garage
The Hellcat box is closed. Pulls cold air from the headlight opening, and the fender. It would be a flat filter in the Hellcat air box. The Hellcat filter flows more if you want better flow. There are aftermarket flat filters as well, but I don't know you'll gain anything.

The Legmaker it depends on model

Google

Legmaker install on challenger

1st result should be link to install guides

A Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.

Last edited by A Guy; 05-19-2019 at 05:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to A Guy For This Useful Post:
Cominfromcamaro (05-19-2019)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
The Hellcat box is closed. Pulls cold air from the headlight opening, and the fender. It would be a flat filter in the Hellcat air box. The Hellcat filter flows more is you want better flow. There are aftermarket flat filters as well, but I don't know you'll gain anything.

The Legmaker it depends on model

https://*************************/Articles.asp?ID=6

A Guy

Your link didn’t work. Yeah, I know the hellcat version is closed. But I’ve seen brands online with open box and i was incredibly confused how that would ever work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
There are open top ones with a hole in front you can connect a tube to. They draw cold air from the headlight, the fender, and hot under hood air from the top. If you want bling, just get the one looks best to you. If you want the most cold air, get the hellcat lower box and keep it closed.

A Guy
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
There are open top ones with a hole in front you can connect a tube to. They draw cold air from the headlight, the fender, and hot under hood air from the top. If you want bling, just get the one looks best to you. If you want the most cold air, get the hellcat lower box and keep it closed.

A Guy

Yeah I will probably go hellcat just to make the headlamp functional even if it does absolutely nothing. Sorry though I don’t think I’m conveying what I meant well. The open top kinds I’ve seen are directly below the hood vent...how does that not get water soaked?!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6298.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	945991

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Oh, I didn't realize. If it's directly below the hood vent, it does get wet. Not sure I've seen an open CAI on a Hellcat for that very reason. They do also make aftermarket covers/diverters meant to keep water off. I know @Booky has a Legmaker on his hellcat, but I think it's the fender draw type. Not sure if it gets wet...or if he drives it in the rain, lol. I suspect he washes it though

A Guy

BTW the Hellcat tube does bring in extra cold air, so it is functional. Less effective if the CAI is open at the top of course
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Oh, I didn't realize. If it's directly below the hood vent, it does get wet. Not sure I've seen an open CAI on a Hellcat for that very reason. They do also make aftermarket covers/diverters meant to keep water off. I know @Booky has a Legmaker on his hellcat, but I think it's the fender draw type. Not sure if it gets wet...or if he drives it in the rain, lol. I suspect he washes it though

A Guy

Lol that’s what I thought, I was so confused how anyone can sell them? A wet filter is
not a good idea lol. I hope he washes that beast and keeps it spot shined! Glad I’m not crazy though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cominfromcamaro For This Useful Post:
jgraham70 (05-19-2019)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:12 PM

CERVINIS

Finally! A hellcat style hood that fits all 2008 through 2017 Challengers without the headache of water damaging your cold air intake. Cervini's Hellcat style hood includes the OEM screen inserts plus a ram air duct that pushes the cool air over to the air box and drains water away from your air filter.

As with all Cervini's hoods the hell cat style hood arrives ready to install with no cutting, drilling or trimming required. The hellcat style hood also features a fully finished underside, which is a must for any serious show car. Hand crafted right here at our New Jersey head quarters using only the best fiberglass and urethane materials.

Pre-painting is also available for all 2008 through 2016 (2017 will be available soon) factory colors. Just select your year and paint code and your hood arrives ready to install the same day. Our paint quality and paint match are outstanding.

Fits: 2008-2017 Dodge Challenger

JGraham70
2008 SRT8 #5814
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
JLT makes vent covers for their intakes. There are others as well. I remember someone here made some homemade one from clear plastic I believe

A Guy
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
P.S. If you install a Hellcat hood on a non Hellcat, you'd want to get the ABS cover as well, as the ABS piping sits right under the other cover. On second thought, get the ABS cover anyway, as it looks so much better with it

A Guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Performance Modifications > Intake & Exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode