Awd v-8?? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger AWD GT (2017+) This section is for the discussion of the new All Wheel Drive Dodge Challenger GT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Awd v-8??

So, how long till these get Hemi's and lift kits with some big meats underneath??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decay View Post
So, how long till these get Hemi's and lift kits with some big meats underneath??
Begs the question....why?

I'm gonna assume that's sarcasm.

As for the more serious question, "When will AWD be available with a V8?"

Beats me if it'll happen but if it does or if Ford or Chevy do it first all three manufacturers will pretty much have to do it. The horse power and torque available today would be a lot more usable and safer on the street if you could get AWD!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 12:32 PM

Garage
Slow sales were supposedly what killed the AWD/V8 offerings in the Charger and 300. Based on that, I doubt they will bring it back just for the Challenger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

// 2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 392, TR-6060, Billet Silver, SPAG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHemi41 View Post
Slow sales were supposedly what killed the AWD/V8 offerings in the Charger and 300. Based on that, I doubt they will bring it back just for the Challenger.

That was an option though only available to police in the police package. That would cut the number of possible sales greatly. I know it was offered to the general public for a while but it was my understanding you had to pick the police package to get the 5.7 with AWD.

Ron
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 09:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedfedbug View Post
That was an option though only available to police in the police package. That would cut the number of possible sales greatly. I know it was offered to the general public for a while but it was my understanding you had to pick the police package to get the 5.7 with AWD.

Ron

I believe it was up to 2014 you could buy a 5.7L Charger R/T or 300C with AWD. It came with the 5 speed NAG1 automatic. For 2015 they dropped that, and offered the 8 speed automatics with the V8s and all RWD for civilians. From 2015-on they have continued to offer the V8/AWD with the 5 speed NAG1, but for police only. So there has never been an AWD 8 speed V8 L-platform car from factory. I guess they figure Grand Cherokees and Durangos fill the gap.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 08:11 AM

The idea of an AWD 5.7 as a police car package in the Charger makes a TON OF GOOD SENSE.

In the Northern Climates it'd be easy to imagine that rural police would definitely consider the car for purchase.

When I think of AWD for the public I have an entirely different take.

AWD for the Charger or Challenger with a V6 is already available and it sells in pretty small numbers. Dodge is probably correct if they assume the majority of buyers of AWD really just want SUVs anyway not a Coupe.

What I really wonder about is how the market might react to an AWD BIG HORSEPOWER car like the Hell Cat.

It's pretty easy to imagine that 797HP or even 717HP with an actual AWD.

Anyone who has watched a Tesla beat a Hell Cat or high end Corvette at the drag strip knows that the race is won by the electric car in the first 100 ft. Torque is one big advantage but putting the power down at all 4 wheels is the other.

On the street squirrelly and nearly unusable extra power on the street is what I think of when I look at a Hell Cat. Driving one before deciding the 392 was the better path confirmed it for me.

0-60MPH times can be impressive if you can actually find traction but it's pretty rare to see a Hell Cat that doesn't just BLAZE it's tires on a hard acceleration from a standing start anywhere other than a prepared track surface at the drag strip. Seems to me AWD in the Super-Charged cars might be an option that (sorry for the pun) could actually get traction in the dealership salesroom. If it had been available this year I'd have far more seriously considered a Hell Cat purchase.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 10:46 AM

All wheel drive Hellcat Wide body. I wonder what the times would be?
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Julian View Post
All wheel drive Hellcat Wide body. I wonder what the times would be?
Slower

2016 SPS
2017 GT
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 02:31 PM

Thanked 3,742 Times in 2,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TA 392 YJ View Post
AWD for the Charger or Challenger with a V6 is already available and it sells in pretty small numbers. Dodge is probably correct if they assume the majority of buyers of AWD really just want SUVs anyway not a Coupe.
I'd like to see a numbers breakdown and they might be surprising, I remember Tim Kuniskis saying the AWD Charger outsells the RWD Charger in 19 states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Swede View Post
Slower
Nah not buying that. If durability would allow them to release the horses it would scream. Imagine a Widebody Redeye on launch control at 3500 rpm and no traction issues, it would make up for those 200-300 lbs easily.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

2016 SRT 392 - Billet Silver, Black Stripes, A8, Tech Group ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,700 Times in 2,800 Posts
Garage
2:00 minute mark

5364 lbs. How could a AWD Hellcat be slower?

A Guy

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A Guy For This Useful Post:
georgethedog (11-08-2018), jzink0883 (10-16-2018), silver scat (10-16-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger AWD GT (2017+)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode