She kicks ass in the snow! - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger AWD GT (2017+) This section is for the discussion of the new All Wheel Drive Dodge Challenger GT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
She kicks ass in the snow!

Got to love the GT in the snow, she's a tank!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190221_064946.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	592.1 KB
ID:	940035  

2016 R/T Shaker-Torred-sold
2018 GT-AWD Plum Crazy
The Following User Says Thank You to BGriff For This Useful Post:
Speedlogix-Sales (05-20-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGriff View Post
Got to love the GT in the snow, she's a tank!
I can’t wait to see how mine does in the snow! I love your color btw!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Not only will you not be disappointed, you will be amazed. I was driving around stuck SUVs in one snow storm, it was great! Speaking of colors, I love that green.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:00 AM

Just remember you can still only stop as well as the 2WD you just passed . . .

And due to the foor operated parking brake, you've not even got the option of a delicately controlled rear wheel steering stick between the seats as I've been used to for most of my driving life with AWD high performance to call upon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bricol For This Useful Post:
Jimmy N. (05-20-2019)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:03 AM
Supporting Vendor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Great picture thank you for sharing this with us.

- Alexis

Speedlogix |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:36 PM

Meanwhile, instead of kicking, I got my butt kicked by the snow.

Parked outside to get a free car wash, courtesy of the snow, but had a heck of a time making it back into the garage (in front of the car as seen i the photo, so not much of a slope).
On the third try, with about a 100-foot run at it, it finally worked.

And, yes, I grew up driving in snow, and like driving in snow. Just not with UHP summer tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2349.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	369.7 KB
ID:	946019  

2018 Challenger
2019 Challenger
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:44 PM

I was shocked how well my GT did in the snow last year. There is about a 400 yard uphill towards my wife’s work that was littered with cars because a FedEx truck got stuck. It screwed up everyone’s momentum so car after car was stuck just spinning.

I took off at the bottom of the hill after the light turned green. I guess because I was in a Challenger not a single person took off thinking I wouldn’t make it.

I casually weaved around people all the way up the hill without a single slip. Picked up my wife and coming down the hill could see the same cars still spinning 5 minutes later.

2016 SPS
2017 GT

Last edited by Big Swede; 05-20-2019 at 07:47 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:15 AM

Garage
Drove my scat pack with 275s in a tiny little bit of snow in late March around Moab, Utah .... now THAT was an adventure, lol. Got stuck in parking lots and needed help twice...... NEVER AGAIN 🤣

Cars:

Bright White 2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker A8. Mods: SRT Steering Wheel Swap, Petty's Strut Tower Brace, BT Catch Can, Custom Stripes, 20% Window Tints, Tinted Tail Reflectors and Side Markers

Titanium 2010 Challenger SE. Mods: JBA Headers, K&N CAI, Ported Throttle Body, Magnaflow Cat Back, DS 91 Octane Tune - Sold
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:13 AM

Garage
Great to hear the GT rocks the snow. I've driven my Scat Pack Shaker through three seasons of snow. No issues, it's all about the tires. Car is amazing in the snow with winter tires. Passed many SUVs in ditches. Lots of posts to search about this.

1968 Camaro convertible, LS1 & T56, Texas Speed 228R cam, 3.73 posi, 17" Torque Thrusts

2016 Scat Pack Shaker Challenger RT, M6, WRT, black leather, Barton shifter, 275 tires

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:28 AM

I think the geographical landscape of where you live plays a big part too... If it's mostly flat where you live and you put snow tires on, you can probably get around OK with a RWD V8 Challenger. If you have a lot of hills to contend with, I don't think it would do as well, even with snow tires. High-horsepower RWD vehicles tend to spin the rear wheels too easily.

There is no denying that an AWD vehicle with comparable tires would do better in snow than a RWD vehicle - and really, the AWD vehicle would probably be as good or better even with good all-season tires instead of dedicated, full-blown winter tires.

It doens't just come down to driving ability - there are physics involved that even the worlds best driver can't overcome. :-)

I've seen some that say the RWD car is useless in the snow and others that say they get around without issues. I have to think that the terrain is one of the big differences, along with the tires that people are using.
The Following User Says Thank You to jtrosky For This Useful Post:
Jimmy N. (05-23-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger AWD GT (2017+)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode