Cooling fan operation - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Engine Bay / Under Hood Modifications This area is for the discussion of and to show off your engine bay/under hood modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,314 Times in 954 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Cooling fan operation

The cooling fans that bolt to the back of the radiator and pull air through it are NOT variable speed. They are either on and turning full speed or off and not turning at all (under their own power.

Can anyone confirm my assertion there?

That is what I believe to be the case, but recent observations would seem to invalidate it, so trying to clear things up.

2012 Charger R/T with Pursuit pkg. (2018 - ?)
-- The Bacon Hauler
------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Challenger Rallye Redline (2015 - 2018)
2011 Challenger Toxic Orange SE (2011 - 2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,289 Times in 2,514 Posts
Garage
yes - single speed fans.

I don't know if the ones that have dual fans (does Pursuit Package have dual fans? @Nuke )

On my last GM vehicle - it had dual fans.

The primary one ran with A/C and 'regular' cooling needs. If the coolant temp got higher yet, it would kick on the 2nd fan as well for additional cooling.

the Challengers with 6.1 / 6.2 SC / 392/6.4 engines have dual cooling fans - part of the Severe Duty II cooling system these are equipped with

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Yep, dual fans in the shroud that bolts to the radiator.

At the moment the coolant temp won’t get over 192F, and when I directly observe the fans, they are both spinning, albeit at a very slow speed. I cannot hear them spinning anyway, which is the opposite of what I am used to.

Normally when they kick on, there is no doubt they are energized and spinning, as the noise is unmistakable.

Starting to wonder if removing and reinstalling that unit 8 times was one time too many, and now it needs to be replaced...

Oh well, if it does, I bet I can do the job in no time flat, as I am well versed in extracting that puppy with everything still in place on the engine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,289 Times in 2,514 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
Yep, dual fans in the shroud that bolts to the radiator.

At the moment the coolant temp won’t get over 192F, and when I directly observe the fans, they are both spinning, albeit at a very slow speed. I cannot hear them spinning anyway, which is the opposite of what I am used to.

Normally when they kick on, there is no doubt they are energized and spinning, as the noise is unmistakable.

Starting to wonder if removing and reinstalling that unit 8 times was one time too many, and now it needs to be replaced...

Oh well, if it does, I bet I can do the job in no time flat, as I am well versed in extracting that puppy with everything still in place on the engine!
you could block the front of the radiator with cardboard (vehicle stationary) to reduce airflow to get temperature up higher to see what happens
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I’m thinking I will use my tuner to lower the temp at which the fans should engage to see if any change. If not, I can unplug the assembly and test the wiring harness plug voltages just to be sure.

The ambient temps here are currently hovering around 32F thankfully, so the fans aren’t really needed to keep it cool. But this weekend will bring 70F, so I gotta get this figured before then.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 12:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
The cooling fans that bolt to the back of the radiator and pull air through it are NOT variable speed. They are either on and turning full speed or off and not turning at all (under their own power.

That is what I believe to be the case, but recent observations would seem to invalidate it, so trying to clear things up.
What exactly is the problem you're having anyhow? With the pursuit package your Charger should have much more cooling capability than stock as far as I know.

Somewhere in the Sonora Desert...
2014 R/T Shaker M6 w/JBA long tubes and exhaust, Magnuson super charger, Fastman throttle body, API fuel hat, HHP custom tune - See the rest in my garage...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wife: 2015 R/T Plus A8 jazz blue pearl w/ Super Track Pak, A/C-heated leather seats and some other cool stuff,,,
Member:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gila Hemi View Post
Quote:

What exactly is the problem you're having anyhow? With the pursuit package your Charger should have much more cooling capability than stock as far as I know.
I have not heard the fans kick on since I reinstalled the fans last night, despite reaching normal operating temp several different times since. I can see them moving, but not so fast as to make a loud whirring noise like I am used to.

No overheating, temps are fine, but I am concerned the assembly is not working as it’s supposed to now, for whatever reason.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 01:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
I have not heard the fans kick on since I reinstalled the fans last night, despite reaching normal operating temp several different times since. I can see them moving, but not so fast as to make a loud whirring noise like I am used to.

No overheating, temps are fine, but I am concerned the assembly is not working as it’s supposed to now, for whatever reason.
I do not know if our fans have an external controller like after-market e-fans do, but I doubt it. It sounds to me like the problem is in the PCM, but I don't have any wiring diagrams to really make an educated stab at a solution. I have an after-market fan on my Ram that only runs at one speed, and the controller for it has a dial to adjust the temperature to activate the fan. I have the controller mounted on the frame above the radiator, and switched power going to the fan that is cut off with the ignition switch to keep the fan from draining my battery with the engine off. It gets hot enough here for the fan to come on by itself when my Moose is parked.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I’m leaning toward the fans’ controller in the assembly being hosed. When draining the previous radiator yesterday, the drain valve got stuck in such a position so as to cause the coolant to spray out several inches, and as I turned the valve with my screw driver, it was hiding down everything within 8 inches in the engine bay like some kind of hot coolant sprinkler.

I am wondering if that caused a problem in the controller when it next energized.

Ugh, I feel like I could get this figured out in 30 minutes if I could just go home and get started. But instead of doing something useful like that, I am stuck on a conference call that is headed into it’s 3rd hour now with no signs of ending before 4pm.

I HATE CONFERENCE CALLS!!

They are evil, boring, and the unholy spawn of the Devil and something else that is bad...

Calgon, take me away!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 01:53 PM

Garage
The controller should be a completely sealed unit, but if there are exposed wires anywhere in the system, a short would fry it for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Engine Bay / Under Hood Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in