Wrinkle paint on coolant reservoir - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Engine Bay / Under Hood Modifications This area is for the discussion of and to show off your engine bay/under hood modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Wrinkle paint on coolant reservoir

Hi everyone. Figured I would go ahead and begin sharing the progress on my latest project; painting the coolant reservoir tank.

Attachment 1 shows my engine compartment prior to starting this project. Looks pretty good, but the washer fluid and coolant reservoirs stick out like sore thumbs! Clearly something had to be done. The bright yellow washer fluid cap and engine oil dipstick's days are also numbered, but today I'm just working on the coolant reservoir.

Removing the coolant reservoir was pretty easy. I took the airbox out first to make some extra room, then drained most of the coolant in the tank with a siphon into a bucket. I'll put some new fluid in at the end, and since I've captured the original fluid I'll know about how much to replace. There's a couple of hoses to remove from the reservoir tank. The bottom one is a bit difficult to access, but having the airbox out of the way is a big help. I left the coolant tank's cap on and plugged the other vent hole on the top to make it airtight, so that when I made the final lower disconnect, virtually no coolant was lost before I flipped the tank upward and brought it out. I had a twist tie ready to hold the lower hose upright to prevent it from draining.

The tank has some raised lettering on the top surface which I sanded out with 400 superfine grit sandpaper. I left the Pentastar logo alone. Attachment 2 shows the reservoir tank after I gave it a thorough roughening. I then wiped it down with isopropyl alcohol, taped off the cap and tube inlets, and set up to paint.

I decided to try VHT Wrinkle Plus, which I found at AutoZone. It's supposed to give you a textured black surface, and did not disappoint. Just followed the instructions on the can. Attachment 3 shows the tank a short time after the third (last) coat, at which point you can start to see some of the wrinkling coming out on the lower half. Attachments 4 and 5 show the side and top views of the tank the next morning, about 12 hours later.

I'm very happy with the results so far, and particularly happy with the cost which about ten bucks. I'm going to give it another day to dry, then bake it for the recommended 20 minutes at 200 F before reinstalling everything. I'll post a follow-up reply with the final product in back in the engine compartment once its done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Compartment - Reduced.PNG
Views:	78
Size:	562.7 KB
ID:	945447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank surfaces roughened.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	355.8 KB
ID:	945449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right After Painting.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	330.9 KB
ID:	945451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Paint Dried - Side.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	945453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Paint Fried - Top.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	945455  

2016 Challenger R/T; super track pack, ivory white tricoat paint, Corsa Xtreme catback, drilled/slotted rotors with ceramic brakes, some other stuff...
The Following User Says Thank You to PrestonRT For This Useful Post:
praiseV8 (05-11-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 02:23 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonRT View Post
Hi everyone. Figured I would go ahead and begin sharing the progress on my latest project; painting the coolant reservoir tank.

Attachment 1 shows my engine compartment prior to starting this project. Looks pretty good, but the washer fluid and coolant reservoirs stick out like sore thumbs! Clearly something had to be done. The bright yellow washer fluid cap and engine oil dipstick's days are also numbered, but today I'm just working on the coolant reservoir.

Removing the coolant reservoir was pretty easy. I took the airbox out first to make some extra room, then drained most of the coolant in the tank with a siphon into a bucket. I'll put some new fluid in at the end, and since I've captured the original fluid I'll know about how much to replace. There's a couple of hoses to remove from the reservoir tank. The bottom one is a bit difficult to access, but having the airbox out of the way is a big help. I left the coolant tank's cap on and plugged the other vent hole on the top to make it airtight, so that when I made the final lower disconnect, virtually no coolant was lost before I flipped the tank upward and brought it out. I had a twist tie ready to hold the lower hose upright to prevent it from draining.

The tank has some raised lettering on the top surface which I sanded out with 400 superfine grit sandpaper. I left the Pentastar logo alone. Attachment 2 shows the reservoir tank after I gave it a thorough roughening. I then wiped it down with isopropyl alcohol, taped off the cap and tube inlets, and set up to paint.

I decided to try VHT Wrinkle Plus, which I found at AutoZone. It's supposed to give you a textured black surface, and did not disappoint. Just followed the instructions on the can. Attachment 3 shows the tank a short time after the third (last) coat, at which point you can start to see some of the wrinkling coming out on the lower half. Attachments 4 and 5 show the side and top views of the tank the next morning, about 12 hours later.

I'm very happy with the results so far, and particularly happy with the cost which about ten bucks. I'm going to give it another day to dry, then bake it for the recommended 20 minutes at 200 F before reinstalling everything. I'll post a follow-up reply with the final product in back in the engine compartment once its done.

I was about to give you crap about it until I noticed you masked out the fill line.

Looks very nice, well done!

2016 Dodge Challenger R/T 392
Jazz Blue, A8, Driver Convenience Group

2018 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab
Bright White, A8+V6
The Following User Says Thank You to praiseV8 For This Useful Post:
PrestonRT (05-11-2019)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 07:39 PM

Good job...I hope the paint holds onto the plastic for you...the only thing different I would have done is put a plastic adhesion promoter on after the scuffing and before the paint

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Dodge Charger R/T
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
Check us out at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to charginscott For This Useful Post:
PrestonRT (05-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Nice job !! I had my tank paInt OEM color, not that talent or patient .lol
It’s held up great all most 2 years = 10,000 miles ,at the same time I had the
+ battery terminal cap painted .
It makes a big difference in the engine bay IMO
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	43CD2848-7B52-4D52-A043-2036AA2F101A.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	597.2 KB
ID:	945471   Click image for larger version

Name:	CD007A9C-EB58-40B8-A488-BF2758CC0FDC.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	670.0 KB
ID:	945473  

2015 sublime RT plus / STP, sun roof, Corsa sport
Mopar CAI, Scat Stage1 Mopar PCM,Mopar Front tower strut with billet caps
Billet Technology Catch Can and ID plate ,,Window tint with windshield strip , Mopar trunk mat, dead pedal. Asanti chrome wheels with BF Comp-2 A/S
Mr Kustom Green Challenger puddle lights.Green Diode Dynamics engine bay lights .
Old school pin striping by Dagger Lynn. Headrest embroidered by A~Z Design ,Pedal Commander
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beachlovers2 For This Useful Post:
charginscott (05-12-2019), PrestonRT (05-12-2019)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charginscott View Post
Good job...I hope the paint holds onto the plastic for you...the only thing different I would have done is put a plastic adhesion promoter on after the scuffing and before the paint
Thanks! I thought about whether I should use a promoter, and ultimately decided I'd see how things went without it. I'll keep the thread updated if there's any deterioration.
The Following User Says Thank You to PrestonRT For This Useful Post:
charginscott (05-12-2019)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlovers2 View Post
Nice job !! I had my tank paInt OEM color, not that talent or patient .lol
It’s held up great all most 2 years = 10,000 miles ,at the same time I had the
+ battery terminal cap painted .
It makes a big difference in the engine bay IMO
Thanks! Honestly though, the only reason I opted to paint this myself is because the paint is specifically designed to wrinkle into a textured surface. I've never been very satisfied with my own paint jobs with traditional spray paint, never looked smooth/uniform enough. If I were doing a smooth glossier surface like yours, I'm not sure how good I could do.

I like the way your paint job handled the fill level viewport, I think I prefer your taller viewport alongside the fill level indicators. I wish I'd seen that before I started mine!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Finished and reinstalled!

The paint is solid to the touch and handling, but is not holding up to firm scraping with a screwdriver. However, I'm only 36 hours into the recommended 48 hour dry time. I hope it will harden further over the next few days. Even if it does not, the reservoir certainly shouldn't see much abuse inside the engine compartment. If I were to ever make a second attempt, I might try an adhesion promoter as charginscott suggested.

Attachments 1 and 2 show the finished product installed. Attachment 1 shows a particularly interesting detail; see top of the tank at the bottom of the photo, the raised Pentastar logo can still be seen in the paint!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Finished-1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	945513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished-3.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	349.6 KB
ID:	945515  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:58 AM
Premium Member

I applaud the work, and it does look great!

My question though, is won't crinkle paint be an adhesion promoter for dust? Or isn't it that rough?

2016 SXT+ Airaid CAI. Fastman ported throttle body. Bright pedals. Billet Technology catch can. Petty front shock tower brace. 1 of 524 Plumb-crazy SXT's for 2016.
The Following User Says Thank You to MEKrunner For This Useful Post:
PrestonRT (05-13-2019)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEKrunner View Post
I applaud the work, and it does look great!

My question though, is won't crinkle paint be an adhesion promoter for dust? Or isn't it that rough?
Thanks man, I appreciate the compliment.

While I haven't had it long enough to verify, I imagine that it could have a tendency to collect dust. Its not a very deep wrinkle though so if it does, I don't think its going to hold onto the dust very strongly. I'll update over time as I learn more about it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,705 Posts
Garage
Gloss is a dust collector, lol. I know why they have all that textured plastic under hood, because it doesn't show the dust and water spots as much

A Guy

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
The Following User Says Thank You to A Guy For This Useful Post:
PrestonRT (05-14-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Engine Bay / Under Hood Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode