Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Which Challenger model would be the most reliable and comfortable riding?

6K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Big Swede 
#1 ·
There are so many choices in building a new Challenger. Different engines with options and adaptive suspension.
Which model if any and engine proves to be the most reliable?

Is there more maintenance/problems involved with the Hellcat and Redeye Challengers since they are supercharged?

Which Challenger model/options would have the best ride in comfort in isolating the shock from pot holes and ill maintained public roads?

#2 ·
Sure, there's more to do and more to go wrong on a Hellcat. The supercharger has needed replacing on many cars, and there's an oil cooler to drain during oil change. You also need minimum 6 month oil changes on all SRT and 392 vehicles. There's a separate cooling system with it's own electric pump for intercooler so more complicated and could be issues in the future but so far the Hellcat seems pretty darned reliable.

Best ride is probably the 2015-18 SXT but since you asked about Redeye then just get anything with the adaptive suspension. That includes all Hellcats, SRT 392, 2019 Scat Pack Widebody or 2019 Scat Pack with Dynamics and the Adaptive option.

I don't hit too many potholes but the ride in default street mode with the tires set at 28 psi is as smooth as you're gonna get in a performance Challenger.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I am not the definitive expert.

But I can tell you from my first hand perspective in the last week, since I got my new to me, 2015 Scat Pack M6. The car rides fantastic. Its easy to get in and out of. The backup camera is tremendously useful. The heating and cooling features work really well, im a little fluffy so I appreciate the cooled seats and the heated steering wheel and seats for cool cold mornings.

I was looking for an exotic, really liked the California, unfortunately no manual option killed interest at this point, and the price point was four times as much, I want to do other things besides just mess around with a car. A 991 moved to the foerfront, unfortunately for me, what you get for 50 to 75 just didn't seem like a fair trade.

So I started looking at Shelby's and then Camaro's and then down to GT's. Really hard for middle aged guy with kids and bad knees and hips and ankles to contort to getting in and out of. Already have an old F body and an CETA vert, both auto's. The seemed kinda cheap on the inside as well.

I stumbled across the Challenger. I drove a Plum Crazy Purple 2019 M6 with the 5.7. Being the heavy car the Challenger is, it is no where as quick or engaging to me with the 5.7 as my LS1 is, it's probably weight related, but just didn't make me giggle. I instantly liked the transmission, cabin quality and ride of the car. This is a very live able muscle/pony car.

The 6.4 just suites my expectation. The car pops burbles breaks loose on command, otherwise it's really streetable if you drive like a normal person. BTW, that's kinda hard cause the car is constantly whispering … GO GO GO.

I travel almost daily, I would love to drive this every day.

#4 ·
“But I can tell you from my first hand perspective in the last week, since I got my new to me, 2015 Scat Pack M6. The car rides fantastic. Its easy to get in and out of. The backup camera is tremendously useful. The heating and cooling features work really well, im a little fluffy so I appreciate the cooled seats and the heated steering wheel and seats for cool cold mornings.”

In my almost 10 years reading this forum, I’ve never read anyone describing themself as “fluffy.” That made me laugh out loud! Thanks for giving me a good laugh...

#6 ·
In my almost 10 years reading this forum, I’ve never read anyone describing themself as “fluffy.” That made me laugh out loud! Thanks for giving me a good laugh...

A Guy

#7 ·
I have heard the exact opposite in that the 5.7 Challengers are losing their timing chains. On another forum I believe there is a thread that is a few hundred pages long just on this one subject on the Challenger R/T model with the 5.7 engine with tons of complaints about this.:surprise:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.