Which Challenger model would be the most reliable and comfortable riding? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Maintenance Discussion This sub-forum is for the discussion of general maintenance of your Challenger such as oil changes, coolant maintenance, brake pad replacement, differential fluid changes, alignments, air filters and everything else to maintain your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Question Which Challenger model would be the most reliable and comfortable riding?

There are so many choices in building a new Challenger. Different engines with options and adaptive suspension.
Which model if any and engine proves to be the most reliable?

Is there more maintenance/problems involved with the Hellcat and Redeye Challengers since they are supercharged?

Which Challenger model/options would have the best ride in comfort in isolating the shock from pot holes and ill maintained public roads?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:32 AM

Thanked 3,706 Times in 2,788 Posts
Sure, there's more to do and more to go wrong on a Hellcat. The supercharger has needed replacing on many cars, and there's an oil cooler to drain during oil change. You also need minimum 6 month oil changes on all SRT and 392 vehicles. There's a separate cooling system with it's own electric pump for intercooler so more complicated and could be issues in the future but so far the Hellcat seems pretty darned reliable.

Best ride is probably the 2015-18 SXT but since you asked about Redeye then just get anything with the adaptive suspension. That includes all Hellcats, SRT 392, 2019 Scat Pack Widebody or 2019 Scat Pack with Dynamics and the Adaptive option.

I don't hit too many potholes but the ride in default street mode with the tires set at 28 psi is as smooth as you're gonna get in a performance Challenger.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2016 SRT 392 - Billet Silver, Black Stripes, A8, Tech Group ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slidd For This Useful Post:
STINGRAY (04-20-2019)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:29 AM

Garage
I am not the definitive expert.

But I can tell you from my first hand perspective in the last week, since I got my new to me, 2015 Scat Pack M6. The car rides fantastic. Its easy to get in and out of. The backup camera is tremendously useful. The heating and cooling features work really well, im a little fluffy so I appreciate the cooled seats and the heated steering wheel and seats for cool cold mornings.

I was looking for an exotic, really liked the California, unfortunately no manual option killed interest at this point, and the price point was four times as much, I want to do other things besides just mess around with a car. A 991 moved to the foerfront, unfortunately for me, what you get for 50 to 75 just didn't seem like a fair trade.

So I started looking at Shelby's and then Camaro's and then down to GT's. Really hard for middle aged guy with kids and bad knees and hips and ankles to contort to getting in and out of. Already have an old F body and an CETA vert, both auto's. The seemed kinda cheap on the inside as well.

I stumbled across the Challenger. I drove a Plum Crazy Purple 2019 M6 with the 5.7. Being the heavy car the Challenger is, it is no where as quick or engaging to me with the 5.7 as my LS1 is, it's probably weight related, but just didn't make me giggle. I instantly liked the transmission, cabin quality and ride of the car. This is a very live able muscle/pony car.

The 6.4 just suites my expectation. The car pops burbles breaks loose on command, otherwise it's really streetable if you drive like a normal person. BTW, that's kinda hard cause the car is constantly whispering … GO GO GO.

I travel almost daily, I would love to drive this every day.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoCash For This Useful Post:
fyrdude (04-18-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:36 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
“But I can tell you from my first hand perspective in the last week, since I got my new to me, 2015 Scat Pack M6. The car rides fantastic. Its easy to get in and out of. The backup camera is tremendously useful. The heating and cooling features work really well, im a little fluffy so I appreciate the cooled seats and the heated steering wheel and seats for cool cold mornings.”

In my almost 10 years reading this forum, I’ve never read anyone describing themself as “fluffy.” That made me laugh out loud! Thanks for giving me a good laugh...

Mike
(Fyrdude)

2015 SRT 392 6 speed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:09 PM

For reliability i have to recommend the 5.7 HEMI. Its been used for years and they can take quite the beating. Ive read here and there about 392 problems, but nothing majorly significant
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,593 Times in 2,727 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrdude View Post

In my almost 10 years reading this forum, I’ve never read anyone describing themself as “fluffy.” That made me laugh out loud! Thanks for giving me a good laugh...

A Guy

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytro View Post
For reliability i have to recommend the 5.7 HEMI. Its been used for years and they can take quite the beating. Ive read here and there about 392 problems, but nothing majorly significant

I have heard the exact opposite in that the 5.7 Challengers are losing their timing chains. On another forum I believe there is a thread that is a few hundred pages long just on this one subject on the Challenger R/T model with the 5.7 engine with tons of complaints about this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:24 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGRAY View Post
I have heard the exact opposite in that the 5.7 Challengers are losing their timing chains. On another forum I believe there is a thread that is a few hundred pages long just on this one subject on the Challenger R/T model with the 5.7 engine with tons of complaints about this.
There are way more 5.7s (3 different generations) out there then 6.4s. Also don't forget there was a timing chain recall for the autos couple years back but that seems to be resolved on the newer year 5.7s, which is all the complaints you read about. I have recently read on CT that several folks with the low mileage 6.4s have had lifters wipe out the cam. But then there are the high mileage 5.7 auto folks that complain of lifters wiping out cams.

Now problem that everyone seems to point out on the 6.4 is their pistons are like glass. Not a problem if you are never plan to deviate from stock but if you decide to go boosted/nitro you need to be very conservative on the tune otherwise the top piston landing can pop.

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:06 AM

If you are talking ride comfort the GT is way more comfortable than a Scat Pack. The GT is way more compliant with less harsh rebound and the taller sidewall tires makes it an excellent daily driver.

2016 SPS
2017 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Maintenance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode