Extended Warranty - yea or nay? - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Maintenance Discussion This sub-forum is for the discussion of general maintenance of your Challenger such as oil changes, coolant maintenance, brake pad replacement, differential fluid changes, alignments, air filters and everything else to maintain your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,354 Times in 982 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Regardless of the what the product being warrantied is, every extended warranty offered for sale is done so to make a profit for the company offering it. That is the one salient fact anyone considering purchasing one should keep in mind.

That doesn't mean the warranty is a waste of money, nor does it mean the warranty will ever pay for itself down the road. It just means those folks selling the warranties are not your friend, and they are definitely NOT trying to sell you something because they are worried about you. They are just trying to feed their families like the rest of us. Do your homework on whether or not the warranty is a good idea or not.

That is all, please resume regularly scheduled perusing...

Nuke

2012 Charger R/T with Pursuit pkg. (2018 - ?)
-- The Bacon Hauler
------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Challenger Rallye Redline (2015 - 2018)
2011 Challenger Toxic Orange SE (2011 - 2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 02:11 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,777 Times in 2,857 Posts
Garage
If you buy a warranty, you do so knowing that on average, they work out best for the warranty company. That said, you are for sure purchasing peace of mind. If you have one major repair done, you likely pay for that warranty. If you never use it, when it expires you have bought the right to say "son of a *****!". Since mine is a lifetime warranty, I'd be whispering that as my last words on my deathbed, lol.

I'm sure it's not a quantifiable number, but I also think if you have it, you don't need it, and visa versa

A Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 10:47 AM

I would advise passing on any extended warranty. In my 56 years on this planet, my experience has been I have never used them when I did buy them. Like many have stated, odds are in the Warranty company's favor....heavily.

Only thing more useless is Home "Warranties". Don't get me started. Live and learn. Save. Self insure, you will be better for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 05:12 PM

I think like others have said, just pay into a well-stocked emergency fund. Cars are so much more reliable these days.....on my 2013 R/T since new, I have only had to take in for an actual repair one time. It was still under warranty then but it was for a bad O2 sensor, but I think I got bad gas that messed up the sensor. As soon as I pulled away from the gas pump the CEL came on...the gas station was receiving fuel from a tanker...never get gas from a station when u see a tank truck in the parking lot! Any way other than that, my car has been trouble free, knock on wood. Yes, the warranty has now expired but I have a good saving's account as well as an emergency account set up. Like Nuke said, just do your homework and look at your circumstances...but I think other than for peace of mind, extended warrenty's can be a waste of money IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Living my life....one quarter mile at a time
The Following User Says Thank You to Tshane72 For This Useful Post:
Bob Ricewasser (04-26-2019)
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks everybody. With the 5 year power train warranty the really big ticket items are covered. I may look into just extending the power train warranty, if that's an option, as I certainly won't break out 100K after two more years.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64dartgt View Post
Thanks everybody. With the 5 year power train warranty the really big ticket items are covered. I may look into just extending the power train warranty, if that's an option, as I certainly won't break out 100K after two more years.
The overwhelming odds are that you'll spend less on repairs than you will on warranties. This applies to big ticket items as well. The fact that insurance companies are still in business is the proof. But then again, insurance agents have to feed their kids too.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 07:34 PM

I pony up for my warranty.. i bought it to drive it.
My car will easily see 14 -16 k miles every year. And thats shares time with my 67..

I ran into a Hell Cat owner at the gas station yesterday on his way back from a local car show... His car was absolutely stunning looking.. not a speck on it.He showed me the paperwork he received from Dodge stating his car was a 1 of 1..

Any ways he tells me about his sons scat pack challenger .. the son he says plans on keeping his SP forever.. to wich the father says.. well if your gonna keep it ..you need to put it away.
Now.. to those guys with a very low production number, or a 1 of 1 . I may justify that..

But to the owners who bought their cars to keep them and DRIVE them.. id say the warranty is justified..
I dont doubt my car will see 75, 80 k miles in the next 6 or 7 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scotts16scatpack For This Useful Post:
jzink0883 (05-06-2019)
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:03 AM

With as little as you drive the car Id say No. You probably wont use it enough to wear anything out or break it.

I OTOH felt I had to get a warranty. I bought mine new, it is 10 months old and I just rolled over 31,000 miles Got a 5 yr 125k max care and I feel better about it. Yes, the emergency fund idea is a good one. I also could have just put the $$ in to a beater but added expense and maintenence insurance on that would likely start to add up too. Then my challenger sits as a driveway ornament with a monthly payment. Were I younger Id prob have gone that route but now, Im going to keep it going until its dust. Then I'll get another one.

Drive them and enjoy them. Other than the Demon, they prob arent really going to be worth squat in 40-50 years. This isnt the 70s where there were only 67 Hemi XXX made. There are way too many scats, HCs, TAs etc to have them be holy grail cars. Besides, Kids today dont give a rats ass about cars and V8s etc. IMO the market wont be there.
The Following User Says Thank You to BilletTA392 For This Useful Post:
jzink0883 (05-06-2019)
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilletTA392 View Post
With as little as you drive the car Id say No. You probably wont use it enough to wear anything out or break it.

I OTOH felt I had to get a warranty. I bought mine new, it is 10 months old and I just rolled over 31,000 miles Got a 5 yr 125k max care and I feel better about it. Yes, the emergency fund idea is a good one. I also could have just put the $$ in to a beater but added expense and maintenence insurance on that would likely start to add up too. Then my challenger sits as a driveway ornament with a monthly payment. Were I younger Id prob have gone that route but now, Im going to keep it going until its dust. Then I'll get another one.

Drive them and enjoy them. Other than the Demon, they prob arent really going to be worth squat in 40-50 years. This isnt the 70s where there were only 67 Hemi XXX made. There are way too many scats, HCs, TAs etc to have them be holy grail cars. Besides, Kids today dont give a rats ass about cars and V8s etc. IMO the market wont be there.

You got that right....There have already been almost 4 times as many New Challenger's built compared to the original '70-'74 E-bodies...For my 2013 R/T..they made over 13000 5.7 cars alone just that year...so yes...these cars will really not be worth all that much 20 or 30 or 40 years from now.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:34 AM

No, not worth it. I work at FCA and we don't lose money on warranties that's for sure.

Carl
11.44 @ 120.71mph w/ 1.63 60ft / -445ft DA
Dragstrip videos:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdahl383 For This Useful Post:
Jazz Blue Scat (05-07-2019), Klink (05-07-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Maintenance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode