first oil change - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Maintenance Discussion This sub-forum is for the discussion of general maintenance of your Challenger such as oil changes, coolant maintenance, brake pad replacement, differential fluid changes, alignments, air filters and everything else to maintain your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
first oil change

I have a new SXT with only 500 miles. Thinking about changing oil now and using synthetic. I saw somewhere way back where it was recommended not to use synthetic in oil change this early...saying engine would never break in properly. Don't think synthetic was put in at factory. Manual states either one is fine. I know the V8 manual says to use synthetic. Am I being stupid? What is your opinion on this.
Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:06 AM

I would change now, and use synthetic.
The worst that can happen is that you get rid of break-in particles early - which isn't a bad thing.

2018 Challenger
2019 Challenger
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy N. For This Useful Post:
silver scat (06-11-2019)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie211 View Post
I have a new SXT with only 500 miles. Thinking about changing oil now and using synthetic. I saw somewhere way back where it was recommended not to use synthetic in oil change this early...saying engine would never break in properly. Don't think synthetic was put in at factory. Manual states either one is fine. I know the V8 manual says to use synthetic. Am I being stupid? What is your opinion on this.
Thanks!!

Unless forbidden by the owners manual an early oil/filter service is advisable. The new engine sheds lots of debris. This is normal. There is a filter but if there is a filter bypass and there often is under some conditions unfiltered oil is routed to the engine. The new engine also heavily contaminates the oil with blow by. This is normal. But contaminated oil is less able to do its job of protecting the engine parts from metal to metal contact. With debris in the oil it is the same with contamination. The only way to deal with this is to (hot) drain the oil and replace the filter with a new one.

My advice is to use the oil recommended by the factory for the engine. If it is a mineral oil then use it. Change it at least on the factory's schedule. (I put in total around 300K on various engines all running mineral oils -- what the factory recommended -- and not one suffered any engine problem at all. I changed or had changed the oil on the factory schedule.)

If the factory also sanctions a synthetic oil for use in your car's engine it is up to you if you want to use it. I do not know if some kind of "flush" is required when switching from mineral oil to synthetic oil. If the factory sanctions both mineral and synthetic oils for the engine if this is required it should be covered in the owners manual.

Added: Regarding break in... If there was any issue with this the factory would caution against an early oil change or switching to synthetic oil at a too low a mileage.

As long as there is no caution against when to drain the factory fill oil or when to switch to a synthetic oil if the factory sanctions the use of a synthetic oil you can change oils anytime you want.

The engine will continue to to break in just fine. A large majority of the automakers ship new engines filled with synthetic oil and break in is not a problem.

Last edited by Rockster; 06-10-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:32 PM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy N. View Post
The worst that can happen is that you get rid of break-in particles early - which isn't a bad thing.
You mean swarf (i.e. metal flashing)...yarr!?

https://www.mobil1.co.uk/learning-ce...ynthetics.aspx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:48 PM

That, plus quite possibly some sand from the casting process, etc.

I once took an oil sample at 500 miles on a GM pickup, and the results were worse than those from my severely abused tractor...which had been fed used oil from other vehicles for years.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:01 PM

Thanked 4,325 Times in 2,700 Posts
Garage
Early changes are mostly for piece of mind, but they don't hurt anything other than the pocket book.

You can switch to a synthetic now, without any break in issues. SRT spec engines come from the factory with synthetic, and no break in issues with them.

It's just a higher spec/grade of oil, that your engine may or may not benefit from using. Won't hurt a thing.

Hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Past: 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T "Classic" RIP Old Buddy 6/4/15

The Present: 2016 R/T Scat Pack. Factory Options: B5 Blue, 24G Package(A8), WRT Wheels, and Modern R/T Hood Stripe. Engine HP Mods: None Needed. HC Air Box/Tube; DIPs Screen; BT Catch Can; Mopar front Brace;"TA" style side stripes; Mopar '10 Center Caps
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:32 PM

Just changed mine at like 1000 miles.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:33 PM

I still run the Dino oil in my 5.7 R/T...a little over 20,000 miles. So how many 5.7 owners here still run that oil or have many switched to synthetic?

Living my life....one quarter mile at a time
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:59 PM

Thanked 4,325 Times in 2,700 Posts
Garage
I had around 10k miles on my 5.7 when I switched to Castrol Syntec and the SRT filers.

Car got flood totalled at 42k, so I cant say much about any long term benefits, but I did like that oil.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:08 PM

Yeah I have had people tell me just stick to the dino oil there is nothing wrong with running it. Others tell me Synthetic is better. I do run a Pennzoil synthetic blend in my old Durango since it has much higher mileage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Maintenance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode