Fixing the trunk light - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Maintenance Discussion This sub-forum is for the discussion of general maintenance of your Challenger such as oil changes, coolant maintenance, brake pad replacement, differential fluid changes, alignments, air filters and everything else to maintain your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Fixing the trunk light

Fixing the trunk light. The bulb in my trunk light is good and none of that stuff has ever been touched by me I was wondering what I am missing the bulb is good, the fuse I believe should be good I’m not sure exactly which fuse it is but I can check that again, but I am sure when it quit working six months ago I know I would’ve found and checked that fuse so what am I missing it cannot be that hard to make the trunk light work again. Someone please help me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:43 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's the trunk latch assembly believe it or not, brand spanking new or many years old it's the same fail and fix..here ya go: there's a copper contact strip in there that is not making sufficient contact (actually insufficient side pressure) with the other part of it, the good news is you can fix it yourself...take it off the car (2 bolts) you'll need a 90 degree pick awl and a multimeter with it set on tone, first off you have to keep playing with the assembly till you can get your eyes to get a good look down in it while using some sort of bright light, once you see the contact strip take your pick with the 90 side and keep trying to bend it so it can re-gain tension against its mating contact, after many attempts check for continuity with it set on tone, keep repeating this until your satisfied with a consistent tone when you click the lock and pull the release repeatedly to keep re-checking it.. Or you can dump $140 on a new one that you may or may not have to do anyway down the road, once you get the jist of what you're actually doing its cake..hope this helps? you asked, I told
The Following User Says Thank You to Trimec For This Useful Post:
BigChallenge (06-13-2019)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:22 AM
Premium Member

Maybe 1 of those Alpines are in the way?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
This post is to Trimec who replied to my text about the trunk light question. Where exactly are those contacts strips? because the only time I want the light to come on is when the trunk or the deck is open when the trunk is open. So they would almost have to be on the hinges or somewhere like that to make contact correct? So my question is where are the contacts strips that are not making the proper connection?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:05 PM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
There was a recent thread where a member with a 2013 RT had all sorts of weird things going on with his key fob until he noticed his trunk light was not working. Apparently it powers a couple of other modules. Anyways, if you have a pre-2015 challenger the fuse is #38 in the trunk. On +2015 models I think it is fuse #7 or 8 but it looks like it is fed directly from the BCM. See pdf for diagnostic procedure.
https://www.challengertalk.com/forum...1=#post8486055
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	947903  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cargo lamp.pdf (143.4 KB, 4 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)

Last edited by ChallyTatum; 06-23-2019 at 05:10 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:45 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The Following User Says Thank You to Trimec For This Useful Post:
ChallyTatum (06-24-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Maintenance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode