Lifter/cold start - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Maintenance Discussion This sub-forum is for the discussion of general maintenance of your Challenger such as oil changes, coolant maintenance, brake pad replacement, differential fluid changes, alignments, air filters and everything else to maintain your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Lifter/cold start

Just picked up my 2019 R/T on Saturday. Nice car!! I am getting a loud lifter noise on morning starts, even in a warm garage. Goes away in about 5 seconds. No noise driving. I did a search and spoke to current owners with the 5.7 Hemi. Seems to be normal from oil drain back. How many of you are experiencing this? What corrected it , if anything? How about the SRT Oil Filter #503804 AA? Is that OK for a 5.7? I usually dump the oil in a new car at about 500 to 1,000 miles and will likely convert to Penzoil full synthetic or Mobil 1 5W 20. Did that quiet it for anyone?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:23 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
I would swap out the oil filter first. SRT filter should work but I just run Wix. I only experienced lifter noise on start-up once but the car was sitting for quite a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
The Following User Says Thank You to ChallyTatum For This Useful Post:
trippytro (04-18-2019)
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallyTatum View Post
I would swap out the oil filter first. SRT filter should work but I just run Wix. I only experienced lifter noise on start-up once but the car was sitting for quite a while.
Thanks for your response. I do like Wix oil filters. I know they make some of the Napa higher end filters. The car has done it every day since I picked it up Saturday. Dealer Tech says normal. A friend of mine just bought an R/T, same thing with his.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by capevettes View Post
Just picked up my 2019 R/T on Saturday. Nice car!! I am getting a loud lifter noise on morning starts, even in a warm garage. Goes away in about 5 seconds. No noise driving. I did a search and spoke to current owners with the 5.7 Hemi. Seems to be normal from oil drain back. How many of you are experiencing this? What corrected it , if anything? How about the SRT Oil Filter #503804 AA? Is that OK for a 5.7? I usually dump the oil in a new car at about 500 to 1,000 miles and will likely convert to Penzoil full synthetic or Mobil 1 5W 20. Did that quiet it for anyone?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Paul

Invariably when an engine is shut off some lifters are under pressure from the open valve and its spring. Over time this can force oil out of the lifter, essentially collapse it. Upon engine restart the zero lash mechanism is not able to do its job until oil flow reaches the lifter and more than just reaching the lifter forces out any air and replaces it with oil. Any air left in the lifter can still have the lifter noisy as air is quite compressible while oil not so much.

If the noise goes away in just a few seconds this is probably not any real reason for any concern.

Certainly unless forbidden by the owners manual I'm an advocate of early oil/filter services for a new engine. I would urge you to use the oil the factory recommends. If you have the choice between mineral oil and full synthetic oil my advice would be to go with the synthetic oil.

In the case this noise is a precursor to a more serious problem, and I don't believe it is, relax knowing you have the new car warranty which you can use to have this addressed should it advance to the point it needs addressing.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockster View Post
Invariably when an engine is shut off some lifters are under pressure from the open valve and its spring. Over time this can force oil out of the lifter, essentially collapse it. Upon engine restart the zero lash mechanism is not able to do its job until oil flow reaches the lifter and more than just reaching the lifter forces out any air and replaces it with oil. Any air left in the lifter can still have the lifter noisy as air is quite compressible while oil not so much.

If the noise goes away in just a few seconds this is probably not any real reason for any concern.

Certainly unless forbidden by the owners manual I'm an advocate of early oil/filter services for a new engine. I would urge you to use the oil the factory recommends. If you have the choice between mineral oil and full synthetic oil my advice would be to go with the synthetic oil.

In the case this noise is a precursor to a more serious problem, and I don't believe it is, relax knowing you have the new car warranty which you can use to have this addressed should it advance to the point it needs addressing.
Thanks Rockster. I am going to dump the oil early and use the Penzoil synthetic that meets their specs. I already advised the dealer of the noise in case it turns out to be a problem. It does go away in about 5 seconds.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:00 AM

I use the Pennzoil Platinum full synthentic, not the Ultra that the 392s require, saves a buck or two, 5W20 with the Mopar 899 filter. The regular Platinum meets the FCA spec listed for the 5.7

No tick ever in my '17 R/T w/16k miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to NMRT For This Useful Post:
capevettes (04-18-2019)
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:09 AM

Thanked 4,293 Times in 2,678 Posts
Garage
FWIW, when I had my '10 R/TC (new to 42k miles), I had occasional start up lifter noise/rattle.

Pennz Ultra was not on the market at the time, and I switched to Castrol Syntec and the SRT filter.

Start up lifter noise was virtually eliminated.

With my present '16 SP, I've been using the 0-40 Pennz Ultra and SRT filter (27k miles on the car now), and have never had the start up lifter noise. Not even one time.

YMMV, but this is my experience with my two Challengers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Past: 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T "Classic" RIP Old Buddy 6/4/15

The Present: 2016 R/T Scat Pack. Factory Options: B5 Blue, 24G Package(A8), WRT Wheels, and Modern R/T Hood Stripe. Engine HP Mods: None Needed. HC Air Box/Tube; DIPs Screen; BT Catch Can; Mopar front Brace;"TA" style side stripes; Mopar '10 Center Caps
The Following User Says Thank You to 19johned53 For This Useful Post:
capevettes (04-18-2019)
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:11 AM

My suggestion; its normal, turn up the radio. The engine particulary if that new there is simply no reason to skimp on oil or filters. price a new crate engine from Dodge and ask if the savings warrant the risk.

Yes; mine is a 392, but I have the dealer do the oil changes so the correct stuff goes in. For a few bucks I'll work OT.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:14 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 799 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It should not be giving you clattery stats every morning, that is not normal. Occasionally it's fine and is somewhat normal, however my car hardly ever does it. Question, do you pull the dipstiuck and check your oil level often?

Now: '15 R/T Scat Pack A8 Pitch Black, Appearance Group, Leather, SG II [email protected] DA 6500([email protected] corrected)
-catch can, Hellcat airbox/filter, 180 tstat, Opti-Coat Pro+, ceramic tint, clear bra...and some other crap too

Former: '12 Challenger SRT8 Pitch Black 6-speed, stripe delete [email protected] DA 7100(
corrected)
Former: '06 300C SRT8
(DA -700)
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
My suggestion; its normal, turn up the radio. The engine particulary if that new there is simply no reason to skimp on oil or filters. price a new crate engine from Dodge and ask if the savings warrant the risk.

Yes; mine is a 392, but I have the dealer do the oil changes so the correct stuff goes in. For a few bucks I'll work OT.
Never skimped on oil or filters and have no plans to do so. I do my own oil changes and maintenance on the lift in my barn on all my cars in including the Viper and Z06. Not sure about turning the radio up as solving anything, but I agree that it's likely normal. Would be nice to quiet it down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Maintenance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode