Looking for OEM Spark plug information - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Maintenance Discussion This sub-forum is for the discussion of general maintenance of your Challenger such as oil changes, coolant maintenance, brake pad replacement, differential fluid changes, alignments, air filters and everything else to maintain your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,351 Times in 982 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFJsCustoms View Post
Thanks for all the information!

The OEM spark plugs on my car call out to be changed at 100,000 miles. Would purchasing and installing the Iridium NGK 92145 spark plugs also give me the same maintenance interval as the OEM spark plug? (Being that they are iridium spark plugs)
Yes, they should give you the same service life as the OEM plugs. However, whatever the manufacturer lists as the plugs' service life is what you should expect.

It is very likely that any iridium/platinum topped plug will list its service life to be 100K miles, which is the same as the plugs that came in yours. But even if the plugs you buy do not promise 100K, they will still work just fine your engine*.

Also, be sure to check the gap on the new plugs. They will likely be the correct gap already (0.044"), but I have seen instances where the new plugs had to be re-gapped to match the spec'd gap, so it's not unheard of. And if you do have to alter the gap of the iridium/platinum tipped plugs, you must use the correct type of gapper, which is NOT the old-school slide-a-gap kind that use the plug's tip as the fulcrum to bend the electrode.

If you do not have a torque wrench, get one (1/4" drive will work, but 3/8" drive is better). The plugs will need to be properly torqued down into the cylinder head. You'll have to look up the torque spec for your particular engine, but it will be pretty low, like 15-20 ft/lbs.

Nuke

* - As long as you don't crazy and buy one of the gimmicky kind like E3 or RapidFire. Those aren't known for their robustness in operating in any engine, any platform. Stick with the known name brands, single electrode, and you'll be fine.

2012 Charger R/T with Pursuit pkg. (2018 - ?)
-- The Bacon Hauler
------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Challenger Rallye Redline (2015 - 2018)
2011 Challenger Toxic Orange SE (2011 - 2014)
The Following User Says Thank You to Nuke For This Useful Post:
jgraham70 (04-03-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
Quote:
Thanks for all the information!

The OEM spark plugs on my car call out to be changed at 100,000 miles. Would purchasing and installing the Iridium NGK 92145 spark plugs also give me the same maintenance interval as the OEM spark plug? (Being that they are iridium spark plugs)
Yes, they should give you the same service life as the OEM plugs. However, whatever the manufacturer lists as the plugs' service life is what you should expect.

It is very likely that any iridium/platinum topped plug will list its service life to be 100K miles, which is the same as the plugs that came in yours. But even if the plugs you buy do not promise 100K, they will still work just fine your engine*.

Also, be sure to check the gap on the new plugs. They will likely be the correct gap already (0.044"), but I have seen instances where the new plugs had to be re-gapped to match the spec'd gap, so it's not unheard of. And if you do have to alter the gap of the iridium/platinum tipped plugs, you must use the correct type of gapper, which is NOT the old-school slide-a-gap kind that use the plug's tip as the fulcrum to bend the electrode.

If you do not have a torque wrench, get one (1/4" drive will work, but 3/8" drive is better). The plugs will need to be properly torqued down into the cylinder head. You'll have to look up the torque spec for your particular engine, but it will be pretty low, like 15-20 ft/lbs.

Nuke

* - As long as you don't crazy and buy one of the gimmicky kind like E3 or RapidFire. Those aren't known for their robustness in operating in any engine, any platform. Stick with the known name brands, single electrode, and you'll be fine.
Thanks for the input Nuke!
It seems that the OEM spark plugs for our vehicles cost close to 12 dollars while the NGK aftermarket iridium spark plugs can be had at about half the price. Multiply by 16 and there is a big difference in price.

What have folks gone with when changing their spark plugs? Any notable differences with aftermarket ones?
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the input Nuke!
It seems that the OEM spark plugs for our vehicles cost close to 12 dollars while the NGK aftermarket iridium spark plugs can be had at about half the price. Multiply by 16 and there is a big difference in price.

What have folks gone with when changing their spark plugs? Any notable differences with aftermarket ones?
I believe most folks go with the NGKs, I did myself the first change I did on my Hemi. This most recent change I actually went with Champion, but it was mostly because the economics of the deal. You won't notice a performance increase from one brand to the next, they are all going to be pretty much the same.

BTW - the 2 plugs per cylinder thing is not about squeezing out more power per combustion event. They do not fire at the same time in each cylinder. One plug fires on the combustion stroke when the air/fuel mixture is compressed, and then the other plug fires a little bit later as the piston is on the way down during that power stroke.

That approach is about ensuring any unburned remnants of fuel/air mixture is ignited and burned completely each cycle, thereby keeping harmful emissions to an absolute minimum. So while you might have been apprehensive before about driving such a harmful pollution machine as the Dodge V8 Hemi engine, you can now rest easy with the knowledge that you are actually doing your part to save the penguins and polar bears by driving a car which is powered by a (kinda)green engine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I believe most folks go with the NGKs, I did myself the first change I did on my Hemi. This most recent change I actually went with Champion, but it was mostly because the economics of the deal. You won't notice a performance increase from one brand to the next, they are all going to be pretty much the same.

BTW - the 2 plugs per cylinder thing is not about squeezing out more power per combustion event. They do not fire at the same time in each cylinder. One plug fires on the combustion stroke when the air/fuel mixture is compressed, and then the other plug fires a little bit later as the piston is on the way down during that power stroke.

That approach is about ensuring any unburned remnants of fuel/air mixture is ignited and burned completely each cycle, thereby keeping harmful emissions to an absolute minimum. So while you might have been apprehensive before about driving such a harmful pollution machine as the Dodge V8 Hemi engine, you can now rest easy with the knowledge that you are actually doing your part to save the penguins and polar bears by driving a car which is powered by a (kinda)green engine! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/ChallengerTalk_2014/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]

Thanks for sharing your experience with changing the spark plugs Nuke! Not to mention the insight into our green lean machines! Hahaha

Anyone else gone the aftermarket route? Or OEM?
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:30 PM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
I think the 2 plugs fire at the same time. Hal even mentions it in these threads. There is only 1 control wire (switched ground) going into each coil pack (the other is 12V). I have had a scope on the control wire and I am pretty sure I only saw one pulse per rev. I checked this when I installed my innovate gauge which has a shift light built in.
https://www.challengertalk.com/forum...k-plugs-82334/
https://www.challengertalk.com/forum...e-time-233410/

Also see pages 146/147 of the FCA workbook here which gives the impression that the coils are only fired once per revolution. Although it could very well be specific to the V6.
https://www.challengertalk.com/forum...5&d=1550198450

And one more source.
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/hemi3.htm
"The HEMI Magnum engine has two valves per cylinder as well as two spark plugs per cylinder. The two spark plugs help to solve the emission problems that plagued Chrysler's earlier HEMI engines. The two plugs initiate two flame fronts and guarantee complete combustion."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)

Last edited by ChallyTatum; 04-03-2019 at 09:39 PM.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Fine, @PFJsCustoms is a penguin-killing, polar bear hating, one man pollution machine, and he does it for the worst of all reasons - in the relentless search for more stump-pulling torque.

Is that better? Are you happy now?!?!

I swear @ChallyTatum , if you don't stop using logic and reason when you refute me, I'm going to have to complain to the mods!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallyTatum View Post
I think the 2 plugs fire at the same time. Hal even mentions it in these threads. There is only 1 control wire (switched ground) going into each coil pack (the other is 12V). I have had a scope on the control wire and I am pretty sure I only saw one pulse per rev. I checked this when I installed my innovate gauge which has a shift light built in.
https://www.challengertalk.com/forum...k-plugs-82334/
https://www.challengertalk.com/forum...e-time-233410/

Also see pages 146/147 of the FCA workbook here which gives the impression that the coils are only fired once per revolution. Although it could very well be specific to the V6.
https://www.challengertalk.com/forum...5&d=1550198450

And one more source.
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/hemi3.htm
"The HEMI Magnum engine has two valves per cylinder as well as two spark plugs per cylinder. The two spark plugs help to solve the emission problems that plagued Chrysler's earlier HEMI engines. The two plugs initiate two flame fronts and guarantee complete combustion."
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,712 Times in 2,809 Posts
Garage
Quote:

I swear @ChallyTatum , if you don't stop using logic and reason when you refute me, I'm going to have to complain to the mods!

A Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Guy View Post

A Guy

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 04:56 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Quote:
Fine,

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 06:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallyTatum View Post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Maintenance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode