Regular gas vs. Premium - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Maintenance Discussion This sub-forum is for the discussion of general maintenance of your Challenger such as oil changes, coolant maintenance, brake pad replacement, differential fluid changes, alignments, air filters and everything else to maintain your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 07:39 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjv007 View Post
Thanks for the advice I'm sticking to premium.

Forgot that while I wanted to make it clear why premium is important to use the flip side is it is only important, can only provide the intended benefit, provided the engine is designed for premium.

I didn't stress this in my previous post. Let me do so now.

There is little benefit in running 91 in an engine designed to burn 87 or 89.

With a couple of possible exceptions.

One exception could be if you track the car, a higher octane provides a bit extra margin against detonation so the engine controller won't have to retard ignition. Engines as they are used can have their octane requirement increase a point or two and this and what the engine experiences on the track could require a higher octane.

Another exception might be if you were heavily loading the car with passengers and their luggage or towing a trailer. I have no observations though to back this up but just knowing the engine is going to be working harder and could encounter operating conditions in which the engine cylinder filling exceeds what it has ever before the next higher grade of octane could be called for. In this case the higher octane gasoline provides a bit extra margin.

But except for the above exceptions if the engine is designed to run with 87 or 89 then using a premium grade of gasoline is ill advised. It wastes money mainly.

Be sure you buy gasoline from a busy station. Premium gasoline, especially, goes stale and quicker than the lower octanes of gasoline and if you fill up you want the freshest gasoline for your money.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockster For This Useful Post:
Bob Ricewasser (05-11-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 08:33 PM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Best way to see if going to higher octane benefits your vehicle, get a diablo sport trinity and log knock. If you see almost no improvement in ST knock from 91 to 93 then just run 91. On a 6.4 or a (5.7 with a manual trans) stay at or above 91.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjv007 View Post
I have a 2017 scat pack which recommends using 91 octane just wondering if there's really any difference between using regular and premium?

Your 6.4 Hemi has a 10.9 : 1 compression ratio. Stay with the highest octane you can find. 91 minimum. Maybe your ECM will compensate for 89 but I would not count on that to protect a $10,000 engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallyTatum View Post
Best way to see if going to higher octane benefits your vehicle, get a diablo sport trinity and log knock. If you see almost no improvement in ST knock from 91 to 93 then just run 91. On a 6.4 or a (5.7 with a manual trans) stay at or above 91.
I found a local source of 90 octane non ethanol gas. Since it was not a top tier supplier I was skeptical but wanted to experiment with it. I was hoping to use it for drag racing by adding TORCO to bring it to the octane needed by my tune. I set up a gauge in the trinity to display knock retard. While it's impossible to read the values in the gauge it does flash green when timing is retarded because of knock. Well, the thing lit up like a christmas tree around 3.5K RPM. The logs showed considerable knock retard. Even with the gas bumped with TORCO to 1 octane point above my target octane for racing it still produced much more KR than top tier 93 octane ethanol gasolines bumped similarly with TORCO.

My advice is get 91 octane (93 if its available) from a top tier supplier for your Scat Pack.

2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
Jazz Blue, Ruby Red Leather, A8, Scat Pack Appearance Group
Tazer, BT catch can, ported intake manifold, Hemifever Tune, Fastman 84mm TB.
SW mid pipes, Performance differential brace, BMR non adjustable trailing arms.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Yapster View Post
My Canam 1000 takes 93 and the single hose gas pumps ripping me off with the 1st gallon or so of 93 being mixed with 87, it pisses me off. My tank holds 10 gallons but I seldom put more than 6 to 7 gallons in it so I'm being ripped off with a mixture of 87 when I'm paying for 93 octane.
Just something to keep in mind so don't just top off your tank with 5 gallons of fuel.
My Canam is an off road vehicle so i have to fill it before heading into the woods so i have no choice of running my tank empty.

Many stations have a nozzle for each grade of gasoline. Maybe you need to find one and buy your gas from one?
In Texas I have yet to come across a top tier gas station with seperate octane fuel hoses. Diesel is the only designated hose. What state are you in where there are still seperate octane fuel hoses? Also most stations here the super unleaded is 93 a few have 91 but most are 93 here. 87, 89, and 93.

2018 SXT Plus Granite Crystal Metallic
2017 Maverick XMR 1000R
2015 Ram 3500 Dually 4x4 Aisin
2014 Palomino Columbia 43' TH
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Yapster View Post
In Texas I have yet to come across a top tier gas station with seperate octane fuel hoses. Diesel is the only designated hose. What state are you in where there are still seperate octane fuel hoses? Also most stations here the super unleaded is 93 a few have 91 but most are 93 here. 87, 89, and 93.
Marathon is the only brand I have seen that has separate hoses for each grade.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,558 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockster View Post
Many stations have a nozzle for each grade of gasoline. Maybe you need to find one and buy your gas from one?
the majority of stations in NC / SC (I'm near the state line) have one nozzle for the three grades and separate ones for diesel.

The stations that sell Non-Ethanol gasoline will have a separate nozzle, but those are ~ 90 octane for those.

I tend to buy 15 - 16 gallons at a fill up, so that 93 octane fill up only has ~ 1 - 1.5 quarts of whatever the previous buyer diluting what I'm buying.

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:22 AM

Here in PA, I don't think I've ever seen a pump that only has one hose. They all have separate hoses for each "level" of gas.

EDIT: The more that I think about that, I may be wrong. Maybe I have seen some with only one hose... I'll have to pay more attention going forward! :-)

EDIT2: Now that I *really* think about, I think that *most* DO only have one hose nowadays (one for gas and one for diesel)! Man, it sucks getting old...

Last edited by jtrosky; 05-12-2019 at 08:30 AM.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:34 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
Here in PA, I don't think I've ever seen a pump that only has one hose. They all have separate hoses for each "level" of gas.

EDIT: The more that I think about that, I may be wrong. Maybe I have seen some with only one hose... I'll have to pay more attention going forward! :-)

EDIT2: Now that I *really* think about, I think that *most* DO only have one hose nowadays (one for gas and one for diesel)! Man, it sucks getting old...
Around here it is common practice to have one hose for regular/mid/premium and one for diesel. Athought there is now a separate hose for elevated levels of ethanol fuel.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal H View Post
the majority of stations in NC / SC (I'm near the state line) have one nozzle for the three grades and separate ones for diesel.

The stations that sell Non-Ethanol gasoline will have a separate nozzle, but those are ~ 90 octane for those.

I tend to buy 15 - 16 gallons at a fill up, so that 93 octane fill up only has ~ 1 - 1.5 quarts of whatever the previous buyer diluting what I'm buying.

Well, if there is just one nozzle for all 3 grades of gasoline not much you can do.

But I believe like you mention the amount of gasoline left in the hose that can dilute the high octane gasoline with the left over low octane gasoline from a previous pump use is small. Even if it was one gallon -- which I'm sure it is not that much -- 10 gallons of gasoline, 9 gallons of 91, and 1 gallon of 87, works out to 90.6 octane. Sure not "91" but hardly the end of the world.

Years ago when I rode a motorcycle I picked up the "trick" from others of draining the gas pump hose after the pump shut off. The amount of gas I got out of the hose was very small, not even close to a gallon -- I wished it had been a gallon for this would have represented a large fraction of the motorcycle gas tank's total capacity (less then 3 gallons IIRC).

It was such a small amount I soon stopped draining the hose of its gasoline. Just wasn't worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Maintenance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode