Replaced Upstream O2 sensors - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Maintenance Discussion This sub-forum is for the discussion of general maintenance of your Challenger such as oil changes, coolant maintenance, brake pad replacement, differential fluid changes, alignments, air filters and everything else to maintain your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,337 Times in 970 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Replaced Upstream O2 sensors

I just replaced the two upstream oxygen sensors on The Bacon Hauler, and I was surprised at the condition of the old ones given the fact there were no codes or anything indicating they were at the end of their useful service lives. And maybe they weren't actually about to take The Big Dirt Nap, but a visual inspection of their condition certainly doesn't instill any confidence in their continued healthy operation after 140K miles of use:

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20190505_20_52_52_Pro.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	945193

Name:	WP_20190505_20_53_30_Pro.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	945195

Name:	WP_20190505_20_53_39_Pro.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	945197

I replaced them with NGT/NGK brand equivalents, and there are no DTCs (yet) that would lead me to believe the car is going to reject them. I have heard this is a risky replacement to do if you don't use Mopar branded replacements, and maybe it is, but NGK is the manufacturer of the OE O2 sensors, so their aftermarket alternatives (NGT brand) should do the job just as well I would think...they have so far anyway.

As far as the level of effort to actually get the two upstream sensors swapped out, I would put that at an 11 on a scale of 1-10. No really, this was the biggest pain in my backside to complete that I have attempted in recent memory. It took me many hours, like 8 or so, spread over the weekend to get it done. And I cannot count the number of times I gave up and started dialing the local wrecking yard to have them come pick the car up and just take it to the crusher. That's how mad I would get trying to complete this seemingly straightforward task.

But I persevered, and despite the considerable number and level of difficulties I encountered, I improvised, overcame, and adapted my way to success! The engine's closed loop operation is tighter in all RPM ranges and its less shaky now at idle when not in gear. So I can tell the car likes the new sensors, and if she likes them, I like them!

Here's to getting another 140K miles out of these ('cause I don't ever want to have to go through that again!)!!

2012 Charger R/T with Pursuit pkg. (2018 - ?)
-- The Bacon Hauler
------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Challenger Rallye Redline (2015 - 2018)
2011 Challenger Toxic Orange SE (2011 - 2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:06 PM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Yeah it was mentioned on the HP tuner forum that some aftermarket O2s can cause issues.
https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post527395

According to this vid, it has to do with how some Chrysler systems use a different bias voltage.

Keep us posted on how they holdup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallyTatum View Post
Yeah it was mentioned on the HP tuner forum that some aftermarket O2s can cause issues.
https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post527395

According to this vid, it has to do with how some Chrysler systems use a different bias voltage.

Keep us posted on how they holdup.
Yeah, I'm about to have to take a 7 hour road trip out of town and back any minute now, and I figure that should be a good trial by fire for the new O2 sensors. I mean, if 400 miles of highway driving isn't enough to weed out all non-hackers, I don't know what would be...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 03:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
Yeah, I'm about to have to take a 7 hour road trip out of town and back any minute now, and I figure that should be a good trial by fire for the new O2 sensors. I mean, if 400 miles of highway driving isn't enough to weed out all non-hackers, I don't know what would be...
1/4 mile WOT...

Somewhere in the Sonora Desert...
2014 R/T Shaker M6 w/JBA long tubes and exhaust, Magnuson super charger, Fastman throttle body, API fuel hat, HHP custom tune - See the rest in my garage...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wife: 2015 R/T Plus A8 jazz blue pearl w/ Super Track Pak, A/C-heated leather seats and some other cool stuff,,,
Member:

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gila Hemi View Post
1/4 mile WOT...
I plan on sprinkling in as much WOT as possible during the trip. The way I see it, allowing 2 or 3 vehicles to line up ahead of you so you can then pass them all at once has the potential to be unsafe if the passing maneuver is not executed with the upmost expediency, and I know of no more expedient method of passing than to go WOT when in the path of oncoming traffic.

However, my understanding of how these cars' computer controlled fueling systems work tells me that going WOT will not test out the oxygen sensors at all due to the automatic open loop operation the PCM goes into for WOT travel.

Nevertheless, I am looking forward to that stretch of road in between Granbury and Stephenville, that's for sure. There are just enough hills to cause traffic to stack up sometimes 4 cars deep. And then, just when you think you can't possibly coast along at the speed limit one more mile, a passing lane appears like an oasis in the desert. Then it's go-time:
- disengage AutoStick and mash the gas,
- stay on it until you have passed everyone and/or exceeded 100 mph,
- turn up the stereo to drown out the inevitable screeching coming from the passenger seat,
- sit back and wait for it to happen all over again in a few miles.
- WOOHOO!!

<sigh>

If I didn't know any better, I'd swear I have an abnormal obsession with WOT operation...
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:26 PM

I imagine that the O2's in my 2002 Durango look the same, I have never changed them out and the truck has 155,000 miles on it...but no CEL and the truck runs fine....I give you props Nuke for taking that job on. I could never do that...just don't have the patience!

Living my life....one quarter mile at a time
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshane72 View Post
I imagine that the O2's in my 2002 Durango look the same, I have never changed them out and the truck has 155,000 miles on it...but no CEL and the truck runs fine....I give you props Nuke for taking that job on. I could never do that...just don't have the patience!
I blame alcohol for it actually. I had purchased the sensors some time back with the intention of swapping them out, but when I got it up on the jack stands and took inventory of just what all would be involved in getting the job done, I chickened out.

Flash forward a couple months to Saturday night, and as I was cleaning up the garage a little, I ran across a Crankshaft Position Sensor I had also previously purchased but never installed due to the amount of work required (starter has to be removed). I was fully 5 beers into a 8 pack of 18 oz cans, and as I stood there staring at the CCK sensor in my hand, and remembering the O2 sensors sitting on the shelf just beyond it, I thought to myself, "Nuke, buddy, YOU GOT THIS!"

So I pulled her up onto the ramps and jacked it up onto jack stands once again, this time fully confident that I would have a fresh set of sensors installed on the car by the time I went to bed that night.

Well, I ended up passing out a little on my wheel-less creeper pad that night somewhere in the middle of the job. I came to after a while, went inside and went to sleep for real, got up the next afternoon and started in on it again. It took me all the rest of Sunday and into the wee hours of this morning to finally complete the job.

I'm glad I got it done, but I am not proud of the language I used at some points during the install. My most embarrassing string of curse words came spewing forth somewhere in the 2am-ish period Sunday night/Monday morning when I thought I had stripped out the threads on the driver's side O2 sensor bung. I won't put in print what I said to the car at that point, but I will say I accused it of fornicating with swine who had been born out of wedlock to incestual parents that should have been turned into breakfast food if there truly were a god in the sky.

Everything just kinda turned a shade of red after that, and memories actually get a little hazy from the rage I think. But when I came to this morning, the job had been completed, so I guess I figured it all out!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 08:30 PM

Garage
Those sensors look horrible.

Pic of a new O2 sensor an an old O2 sensor from my 996 Turbo with 132K miles. All 4 sensors looked like the one to the right, with the white tip.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	O2 Sensors 3.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	395.5 KB
ID:	945203  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockster View Post
Those sensors look horrible.

Pic of a new O2 sensor an an old O2 sensor from my 996 Turbo with 132K miles. All 4 sensors looked like the one to the right, with the white tip.
Yeah, I am surprised they were still functioning well enough for the computer to use for the fuel trim adjustments. I have read that even the slightest contamination from foreign substances getting on the sensor tips could cause them to go teets up, yet these seem to have sprouted their own stalactite (or is it stalagmite?) colonies and still remain in working order.

It makes me really curious about what condition the cats are in...

I'm going to eventually swap out the downstream O2 sensors since they are so easy to get to that I could trip and fall and still accidentally get those downstream ones changed. And I will post up how they look too, as their condition in comparison to the upstream ones should tell me something about the condition of the cats.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:19 PM

Garage
Yeah they are fun to do, I did all 4 of my o2's about 2 months ago. It took me about 2 1/2 hours on a lift to do them. My biggest problem was getting my big ole meat hooks in that tight spot for the up stream one. Those were a PITA, the post cat o2's were cake to do- 10 minutes tops. It also helps that there wasn't any rust on them either.

Brian
2010 Plum Crazy Challenger RT A5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Maintenance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in