Replaced Upstream O2 sensors - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Maintenance Discussion This sub-forum is for the discussion of general maintenance of your Challenger such as oil changes, coolant maintenance, brake pad replacement, differential fluid changes, alignments, air filters and everything else to maintain your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,351 Times in 982 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Guy View Post
Yeah they are fun to do, I did all 4 of my o2's about 2 months ago. It took me about 2 1/2 hours on a lift to do them. My biggest problem was getting my big ole meat hooks in that tight spot for the up stream one. Those were a PITA, the post cat o2's were cake to do- 10 minutes tops. It also helps that there wasn't any rust on them either.
A lift would have saved me some time and effort for sure, but it wouldn't have made it 'easy' by any means. As you can probably attest, having easier access to the parts only goes so far. If it's in a bad location and/or oriented at an odd angle, you're boned, lift or not.

In hindsight, I would remove the steering column to get at the left side upstream one. That would make it so much easier to get to. I considered doing that last night, but I kept thinking surely this wasn't going to devolve to the point that I had to remove the damned steering column. That would be a major pain to do and add untold time and effort to the task.

Little did I know, it would not add any more time or effort than fighting that sucker the whole time I was trying to get at the sensor on that side...

2012 Charger R/T with Pursuit pkg. (2018 - ?)
-- The Bacon Hauler
------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Challenger Rallye Redline (2015 - 2018)
2011 Challenger Toxic Orange SE (2011 - 2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:24 PM

Garage
I am lucky that I have access to a lift for sure. I agree the orientation is kinda screwy on the upstream o2's and breaking them loose was the biggest pain. I actually considered removing the cats/ intermediate pipes which would have made access easier but I didn't want to mess with potentially damaging any gaskets.

Brian
2010 Plum Crazy Challenger RT A5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Guy View Post
I am lucky that I have access to a lift for sure. I agree the orientation is kinda screwy on the upstream o2's and breaking them loose was the biggest pain. I actually considered removing the cats/ intermediate pipes which would have made access easier but I didn't want to mess with potentially damaging any gaskets.
I hit mine with some penetrating oil and let it soak in an hour or so before starting. That seemed to help on the right side one. It broke loose with little effort, once I finally got the socket in place and the two wrenches lined up on it to twist. That part took a lot of effort, but the lube definitely help to break it loose.

The left side was seemingly unaffected by the penetrating oil, which is not surprising since I couldn’t really see it well enough to make sure I got the oil properly applied. Combine that with the fact that I couldn’t get my hand up in there (or down in there either) well enough to get a good grip, and breaking that side loose took exponentially more effort.

I did remove the bolts on the exhaust flanges where they attach to the manifolds just under the sensors, thinking that I would be able drop the exhaust pipes and cats a little to make room. But my exhaust is bolted up to the car well enough that the pipes hardly budged at all. I would have had to loosen it all the way back to allow it to be moved out of the way enough to do any good I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:53 PM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
When I was swapping in the long tube headers I too the old O2 sensors off before I removed the manifolds and midpipes. I don't remember it being that difficult...but then again the header install might have masked the pain. I will say that with long tube headers O2 sensor replacement is a breeze.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:07 AM

Garage
Unless a sensor fails early, prematurely, and so far with my cars none has, when one goes "bad" -- as was the case with the Turbo when one sensor was tripping the CEL due to a sensor heater circuit fault -- I replace all 4 sensors.

When I had the sensors replaced in my Turbo at 132K miles afterwards the engine ran noticeably better. Kind of surprised me, but highlighted how at least sensors can degrade even if they don't degrade enough to trip a CEL. I think I was fortunate the one sensor did fail which forced me to replace the set when I did.

Might mention the CEL came on as I was leaving a Barstow gas station having just filled up the gas tank after a nearly 200 mile drive from AZ to CA on I-40. This after a 2 day drive from Springfield MO. All the way from Springfield the engine was fine. Even when the CEL came on there was no sign of any engine issues. Every fill as I made my way from Barstow to home the CEL came on. I would read the code and note it was the same code as before, then clear the code and drive on.

Likewise when I had the sensors replaced in my Boxster at around 305K miles (one sensor was causing a CEL but except for recalling the error code pointed to an O2 sensor I can't recall any other details) -- the sensors had around 200K miles on them -- afterwards the engine ran better.

With sensors looking like they looked out of your car's engine you might consider a Techron treatment. A bottle of Techron mixed according to directions on the bottle... well, almost... The bottles I get treat 20 gallons but I dump the entire bottle in a nearly 17 gallon gas tank. Then drive the car as you normally do. As you use up the gasoline with the Techron added you might notice the engine running better as the injector tips, intake/exhaust valves, combustion chamber and possibly even the converters receive some cleaning from the Techron.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockster For This Useful Post:
Bob Ricewasser (05-08-2019)
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,353 Times in 2,568 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
I hit mine with some penetrating oil and let it soak in an hour or so before starting. That seemed to help on the right side one. It broke loose with little effort, once I finally got the socket in place and the two wrenches lined up on it to twist. That part took a lot of effort, but the lube definitely help to break it loose.

The left side was seemingly unaffected by the penetrating oil, which is not surprising since I couldn’t really see it well enough to make sure I got the oil properly applied. Combine that with the fact that I couldn’t get my hand up in there (or down in there either) well enough to get a good grip, and breaking that side loose took exponentially more effort.
I was going to suggest this - good idea that you did it. Especially since those upstream sensors thread into cast iron manifolds and would be rusty around the threads.

Probably soaking with more would have helped that left side one. Sometimes getting a cotton swab soaked with it and applying it liberally on the top of the theads would have encouraged the oil so soak around the threads.

Generally O2 sensors start gettting a bit sluggish in their old age - probably more so as there's deposits building up on the sensors' tip.

For the cats - if you here rattling noises at idle - one quick way to test (cooled down converter) is to rap the body with a mallet (or your fist, wrap in a towel) and if you hear rattling - that converter honeycomb is breaking up and due for replacement.

Since the 'Hauler hasn't thrown any codes, the cats are probably still doing their job and within the range of tolerance to check out as okay.

Odds are you'll probably have better idle quality and the MPG might improve a bit as well

poor maintenance (fouled plugs, rich mixtures) often cause overheated and failed cats. Or someone putting leaded fuel into the vehicle

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15

Last edited by Hal H; 05-07-2019 at 10:14 AM.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:54 AM

@Nuke BTW did you clear the adaptives by disconnecting the battery? This will clear the LTFT and speedup the learning of the fuel trims with the new O2s.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallyTatum View Post
@Nuke BTW did you clear the adaptives by disconnecting the battery? This will clear the LTFT and speedup the learning of the fuel trims with the new O2s.
Si...I unhooked it before removing the starter, so it was unhooked for several hours.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallyTatum View Post

Keep us posted on how they holdup.
Starting at 6am this morning and ending a little while ago, I managed to put 414 miles on the new O2 sensors during mostly highway driving. No DTCs, CELs, or any other signs of trouble seen yet with the NGT/NGK sensors.

It's far from a certainty at such an early point in this experiment, but I'm inclined to start believing that these sensors are going to work for me...
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
Starting at 6am this morning and ending a little while ago, I managed to put 414 miles on the new O2 sensors during mostly highway driving. No DTCs, CELs, or any other signs of trouble seen yet with the NGT/NGK sensors.

It's far from a certainty at such an early point in this experiment, but I'm inclined to start believing that these sensors are going to work for me...
Hopefully they outlast my Bosch wideband...darn thing just crapped out on me today. Darn thing was just over a year old and I recalibrated 3 times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Maintenance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode