Tick Tick - Dealer replacing all the Tappets - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Maintenance Discussion This sub-forum is for the discussion of general maintenance of your Challenger such as oil changes, coolant maintenance, brake pad replacement, differential fluid changes, alignments, air filters and everything else to maintain your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Tick Tick - Dealer replacing all the Tappets

First question if someone can chime in.
When the dealer is talking about replacing the Tappets, my understanding is these are the Hydraulic Lifters ?

One month ago a Dealer replaced 4 of the tappets, when I picked up the car the ticking was worse and the dealer came back and said this was normal. After 3 weeks I couldn't take it any more and took it to a 2nd Dealer. Now this 2nd dealer upon inspection, does not see that the 4 tappets we're replaced and actually see that the driver bank all the tappets should be replaced and their recommending the same for the passenger bank as their hearing a tick from this side as well...

One of the ways they determined the tappets we're not replaced previously is that there is a newer version then what came with my 2018 Scat Pack.

I'm all good with this, the part I am wondering is if there is a way to inspect the cam without having to remove it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:28 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The lifters will tell the tale. If they see wear on one, the cam is probably shot.

2014 Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker, Header Orange, #1128
Mods: 180 T-Stat, JBA Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers, Ported 5.7L Intake Manifold, 87MM Throttle Body, Hemifever Tune, Resonator Delete, and Dynomax Race Bullets at mid-muffler.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:10 PM

Tappets .. don’t hear that word much today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdirtyjoexx View Post
The lifters will tell the tale. If they see wear on one, the cam is probably shot.
We'll the fact that their Heavy Line Mechanic said to replace all, makes me feel more comfortable that we won't be dealing with this again (hopefully).

But, I still find it odd that Dodge have modified the Tappet design within the last 1 1/2 years since my car build. My understanding is the one in the Hellcat are designed better. I'm wondering if they decided to use the same one in all their engine builds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Maintenance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode