2018 T/A 392 VS Scat pack HP - Page 4 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 04:10 PM

Thanked 1,105 Times in 792 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallyTatum View Post
I have been waiting for someone to post a 2018 stock read on HP tuners repository (which is down until their web design team brings it online again). There are a couple of parameters (max demanded throttle, throttle ramp rate...) you can tweak to make the throttle real touchy, and make the car drive like a beast with minimal throttle movement. I am wondering if Dodge updated some of the values?

As for stock dyno numbers, you need to make sure at least the same type of dyno is used. IMO the stock tune would give more insight.

Here is a 2009 RT 5.7 (I think 09 when when the switch to VVT was made).
https://www.challengertalk.com/forums...r-t-5-7l-4948/

Some other dyno numbers from HHP
Comp Cams Hemi Phaser "274" Camshaft for VVT 5.7L & 6.4L HEMI Engines 201-428-17 274WI16

2015 shaker
https://www.challengertalk.com/forums...62/index2.html

Another 5.7 from AP

2014 5.7

Those 6.1 numbers are way low...

Now: '15 R/T Scat Pack A8 Pitch Black, Appearance Group, Leather, SG II [email protected] DA 6500([email protected] corrected)
-catch can, Hellcat airbox/filter, 180 tstat, Opti-Coat Pro+, ceramic tint, clear bra...and some other crap too
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Former: '12 Challenger SRT8 Pitch Black 6-speed, stripe delete [email protected] DA 7100(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
corrected)
Former: '06 300C SRT8
(DA -700)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 05:37 PM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post
Those 6.1 numbers are way low...
Don't know what to say, that chart was taken from the Kennebell site.

Dodge | Kenne Bell

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,292 Times in 2,517 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAHemiguy View Post
So if the functional hood scoop and front headlight opening and/or CAI don't do anything to add measurable horsepower to our cars, I wonder how the Ram Air Trans Am was able to make 15hp extra from just the regular Trans Am with just that addition...2000 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6 - First Drive & Road Test Review - Motor Trend
Its possible that GM tweaked the tuning or there improvements (less restrictive) air filter box setup over the standard version.

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallyTatum View Post
Happened to have HP tuners open (yeah, it is becoming an addiction at this point), I don't see a fuel enrichment based off IAT (just ECT).

But, there is an IAT cold spark which appears to add timing (~3 degrees for aircharge above ~0.3g) if IAT is below 32F.

Although at high IAT, it can pull as much as 13 degrees of timing, yuck!
Thanks for revealing that - that was what I had mentioned for a long time - the fresh air systems helped keep IAT temperatures lower and this would help maintain power output (less heat soak effect). 13* timing pull will have a effect.

As @JoHn ed mentioned - the early VVT Hemi years ('09/'10) used the stubby IAT sensor and the things would register hot and took a long time to come back down in temperature. On a warm day the heat soak was noticeable on my '09 / M6. 2nd & 3rd gear were noticeable for feeling less 'peppy' in stop / go traffic.
-the long IAT helped a lot with preventing this.

This was the same approach with the old cars that with the standard air cleaners - they'd pull air from the under hood area which was hot (exhaust manifolds, radiator and heat radiated from engine).

The Air Grabber / Ramcharger setups or Shaker (and T/A hood, AAR hood, 6 Bbl / Six Pak Hoods) were to bring in outside air and the other portion was styling to differentiate from the 'standard' models.

Even with the old cars, they didn't have different hp or torque ratings either.
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 10:51 AM

I'm the OP, I just created a new account with a different name. It's been several months since I posted this and I just saw the replies today, since I log in with my new account now....

Anyways, back when I posted this, the 2019 info wasnt out yet. But now that it is, I find it interesting that the new hellcat, with the cold air hood, claims 10 more hp, due to the hood. I never read anything about a different PCM calibration, so I assumed Dodge claims that hp increase based solely on the air intake; which happens to be the same as the T/A 392....

My original post was implying that maybe, just maybe, the T/A 392 makes a little more power, but that Dodge didn't do all the R&D to certify it and make it public, that's all. I have no data that proves this, it was just an assumption. I guess we'd need to see a few T/As and Scat Pack dyno graphs, preferably on the same dyno, on the same day......a longshot for sure! Hahaha...

I love the car for sure. I wish tuning it wasn't such an issue....i feel like there's more to be had, not so much in PCM tuning, but in TCM tuning. Reducing torque management, harder shifts, etc.....
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 07:27 AM

I owned a Scat Pack and now a T/A 392. Trust me the T/A 392 isn't any faster than my Scat Pack was.

2017 Challenger T/A 392 Redline Tri-Coat
Leather Interior Group
Driver Convenience Group
Sound Group II
TorqueFlite Eight-Speed Automatic Transmission
Power Sunroof
Black Hood Pins
Uconnect 8.4 Navigation

The Following User Says Thank You to Jazz Blue Scat For This Useful Post:
silver scat (09-22-2018)
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannibalracing View Post
I'm the OP, I just created a new account with a different name. It's been several months since I posted this and I just saw the replies today, since I log in with my new account now....

Anyways, back when I posted this, the 2019 info wasnt out yet. But now that it is, I find it interesting that the new hellcat, with the cold air hood, claims 10 more hp, due to the hood. I never read anything about a different PCM calibration, so I assumed Dodge claims that hp increase based solely on the air intake; which happens to be the same as the T/A 392....

My original post was implying that maybe, just maybe, the T/A 392 makes a little more power, but that Dodge didn't do all the R&D to certify it and make it public, that's all. I have no data that proves this, it was just an assumption. I guess we'd need to see a few T/As and Scat Pack dyno graphs, preferably on the same dyno, on the same day......a longshot for sure! Hahaha...

I love the car for sure. I wish tuning it wasn't such an issue....i feel like there's more to be had, not so much in PCM tuning, but in TCM tuning. Reducing torque management, harder shifts, etc.....
from the press intro - the tuning was tweaked on the 'Cat for '19 to take advantage of the additional fresh air with the new 'Cat dual scoop hood...the driver's side scoop feeds directly to the airbox.

Similarly how the Demon had the huge scoop to make more available power that the tuning and the larger s/c unit make possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hal H For This Useful Post:
silver scat (09-23-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode