2019 Challenger & 'Cuda - Page 7 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 158 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 09:05 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The reality is that the next generation of hot rodders will be less attracted to the V8. People want what they owned or wish they owned when they were young. In 2020 hot rodders may want vintage Honda Civics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 158 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 10:42 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saetta View Post
Is corporate ownership a factor if the right product is delivered? Dodge is a trademark owned by FCA, who is trying to capitalize on the history of that name. GM and Ford are the only American auto manufacturers that can claim actual family ties to the muscle car era. Chrysler heritage and Dodge Brothers feel-good commercials have no real link to the past -- it's name only. That shouldn't diminish the desire to own and drive a great car that reminds us of a great time in automotive history.

If another manufacturer can build a car worthy of the Dodge Challenger name I won't have a problem buying one.
What if it were a Chinese owned company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64dartgt View Post
The reality is that the next generation of hot rodders will be less attracted to the V8. People want what they owned or wish they owned when they were young. In 2020 hot rodders may want vintage Honda Civics!
Yeah, their "classic muscle" cars will be the Subaru WRX STI & Mitsubishi Evo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 158 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 04:39 AM
Premium Member

That red car is a modded Camaro.

"If the PC game is called "FINAL Fantasy" why are there 15 versions of it??"

PAST PLEASURES......
2014 Bilitt Silver Rallye Redline
2016 Jazz Blue Purple Stripe SXT PLUS

CURRENT RIDE....
2018 Torred R/T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 158 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 06:14 AM

The blue convertible doesn't look so bad. The red one however...... YUCK!
post #65 of 158 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,558 Posts
Garage
the same argument could be applied against:

Rolls Royce (British company, German owned)

Bentley " "

Jaguar (British company, India owned)

Land Rover " "

does that make these less British, even though they're employing people domestically and manufactured in their country of origin?

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
post #66 of 158 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 09:04 AM

There's also the Chinese company that owns Volvo & has begun importing Chinese made cars into America.
GM has also begun importing Chinese made Buicks into America.

Sorry, I draw the line at the Chinese cars.
post #67 of 158 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,736 Times in 1,875 Posts
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx.challenger View Post
There's also the Chinese company that owns Volvo & has begun importing Chinese made cars into America. GM has also begun importing Chinese made Buicks into America. Sorry, I draw the line at the Chinese cars.
I don't know, it might not be that bad...I hear that the cars come equipped with a box of fortune cookies in the glove box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuda340 For This Useful Post:
Bad daytona (07-17-2016), pdx.challenger (07-08-2016)
post #68 of 158 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda340 View Post
I don't know, it might not be that bad...I hear that the cars come equipped with a box of fortune cookies in the glove box.
Sold!
post #69 of 158 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,587 Times in 2,722 Posts
Garage
When you drive it, an hour later you want to drive it again

No more upgrade packages, you pick one from column A, one from column B

There will be little pepper symbols on the windows sticker depending on how hot the engine is

Bazinga!

A Guy

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A Guy For This Useful Post:
pdx.challenger (07-08-2016), randy16randy (03-26-2017), Wizard of Iz (07-09-2016)
post #70 of 158 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda340 View Post
When Chrysler decided to quickly bring the Challenger to the market in 2008, to beat the launch of the Camaro, it used the existing Charger chassis (although slightly shortened by 3 inches). What it created was a 2-door muscle car and not a true pony car.
I know they were limited by money and were forced to utilize the LX platform, but I thought at that time that they were blowing a very real opportunity by aiming the LX-based Challenger at the Mustang/Camaro. Chrysler has been trying (and failing) to drag themselves back up market for decades. Here they have a fairly large/heavy-yet-competent Mercedes platform to work with, and the best they could think of was to try to force a common market pony car out of it? The cars they should have been targeting were large luxury coupes, like the BMW 6 series, Mercedes SLC, etc. All the Challenger really lacked was a richer interior and some chassis refinement. The resulting car could even have looked like the Challenger does now (after all it is tastefully gorgeous), but would have been marketed as a Chrysler something or other. It could have easily had richer content since they'd have been charging a lot more for it. Cadillac has successfully gone after German luxury sports sedans, and Chrysler could have done the same with German luxury coupes...and been there first. If they had, then they wouldn't look like such a lame duck in the marketplace right now. I was just an hourly guy at the plant level back then, so I understand why no one would listen to me, but they did employ supposedly-competent product planners who should have recognized the opportunity...and either didn't, or were (as is so often the case) stymied by clueless management. Of course, you can't prove a negative...so there's no way to know that it would have worked, but choosing to chase two much-larger-and-better-funded competitors on the sports/pony car front, with an LX-based effort, was pretty obviously doomed from the start. I wish I was wrong, but there's no way to prove that, either. And all this is JMO, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Julian View Post
Not at all, it is my wife who says, "Girly Car" in a "Schwarzenegger" kinda thing when she sees those little cars on the road.
Well then, I guess you married the right woman. You'd both be right, too...if life was a bumper car competition.

Quote:
I've always said, the new Challenger is more a modern version of the classic Charger, rather than the classic Challenger.
Really. This is a great point. I wish everyone would stop pretending that the Challenger is a pony car...doing so just makes the car seem like less than it actually is. Once Chrysler made the (poor) decision to keep their LX-based car "down market", then it would have made far more sense to have built the LC as a proper two-door Charger instead. The Charger was always a pure, two-door muscle car, not a four door family sedan. What the hell were they drinking over in Product Planning, anyway? Did Chrysler really think they needed two large four door sedans that would compete for sales with each other? WTH? And, what a great Charger the LC would have made...

Quote:
What if it were a Chinese owned company?

Yeah, their "classic muscle" cars will be the Subaru WRX STI & Mitsubishi Evo.
Hang on tight, they may all end up being Chinese-owned at some point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal H View Post
the same argument could be applied against:

Rolls Royce (British company, German owned)

Bentley " "

Jaguar (British company, India owned)

Land Rover " "

does that make these less British, even though they're employing people domestically and manufactured in their country of origin?
Actually, VW ended up with all of Bentley...that is, the entire company. And, though VW/Audi does contribute engines to the cause, Bentleys are still largely British cars. All BMW ended up with is the Rolls-Royce brand name. Literally, nothing but the name. They had to create an entirely new (German) company around the old, British name. While they did, at least, locate that company in England, Rolls-Royces are German cars now. As to Jaguar, if they had to be purchased by anybody, TATA has been the ideal new owner. All they've done so far is to throw money at Jaguar, with the simple instruction to "be more Jaguar-ish". I don't know about Land Rover, as I haven't cared about trucks in decades.

Quote:
There's also the Chinese company that owns Volvo & has begun importing Chinese made cars into America.
GM has also begun importing Chinese made Buicks into America.

Sorry, I draw the line at the Chinese cars.
You're being too specific. Back in the '70s, it was proven that the Japanese were dumping (in the literal, marketing definition of the word) cars here in an attempt to eliminate our auto industry in the same way that they successfully eliminated our electronics industry. Japanese government trade officials were quoted as saying that they weren't interested in competing, they were interested in dominating...which explained/explains their then-and-current home market trade restrictions. China is the same way. I just watched a segment on CBS's Sunday Morning show about a Harley club in Shanghai. They said a Harley costs over $100k over there because of the tariffs that are in place. Today. Do you think that Buick is going to cost over $100k here? No. So again, back in the '70s when all of this came to light, I decided that any country that pulled this crap was certainly welcome to keep all of their exports to themselves. Wherever possible (and yes, it takes a lot of research), I'll buy only non-Asian products. I include all of Asia so far, as it seems that most Asian countries are assuming the same trade policies as Japan. I subscribe to six different auto magazines, and when I read them I skip all articles relating to Asian vehicles. I record several shows about autos and the industry, and I fast-forward past all segments relating to Asian vehicles. I don't care if they can sprout wings and fly...they're simply dead to me and I have no interest in them. And you know what? I've owned a lot of great and interesting cars during my life...fortunately, none of them Asian. YMMV...

____
Bob

Last edited by 1analguy; 07-15-2016 at 11:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode