Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2019 Ordering; 2020 Launch; 2020 Refresh?

114K views 428 replies 78 participants last post by  liej465 
#1 ·
I figured I would post this for everyone to see and was hoping our resident experts may have some insight on what is to come. I was thinking about buying a used B5 Scat Pack Shaker but would like to know what is going down for 2020. Still thinking about a 1320 but I am hoping Dodge will allow stripes as an option for 2020. From other threads, I've gathered that ordering for 2020 will begin in September of 2019 and production will start in November of 2019. Does anyone have a guess as to when Dodge will announce the new model year to include any new models or options? Is there any event in mid to late summer that would serve as a good platform to do this? Does anyone know when ordering a 2019 model will close? Finally, anyone think that the late ordering for 2020 as well as late production signifies a refresh?

#2 ·
Well since we've gotten no new info from Dodge at the New York Auto Show this year, and no hints from inside sources, we have absolutely no info for 2020 model year yet.

There is a chance that 2020 model year info will be released this Summer, maybe in August at the Woodward dream cruise. It certainly is due for a refresh. I do wonder why they've been so quiet about it.

#3 ·
I was going to mention that I can understand their secrecy to a point considering that they want to sell as many 2019's as possible. But at some point, hopefully soon, they are going to have to start dropping some hints and eventually announce whatever they may have planned so the fervor can build. It would also give people a chance to order/buy a 2019 if colors or options were no longer going to be available for 2020.

#4 ·
I think that the deadline for ordering a 2019 would be sometime in June or July. I think that the Brampton assembly plant shuts down in August for a few weeks for summer vacation or for retooling. Then after that, they start building for the 2020 model year releasing the 2020 models in the fall sometime.

#5 ·
This year way late and they don't always retool if they don't have to. Last year they took 5 weeks off and that was very unusual, some years almost no time off, just depends on sales.

So how late you can order a 19 and how long 19 will go on will depend on a management decision on how long the downtime will be. 2020 starts Nov 18th so if 2019 runs into late October then you should still be able to order a 19 into late August early September but we just don't know if Brampton will have another extended shutdown or not.

Either way, don't expect to see 2020 models at your dealer until Christmas.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Pure speculation....the 2020's will get refreshed grill and tail light changes to mimic the look of the vintage 1972 - 1974 model year cars. Ask yourself what the easiest, cheapest way would be for FCA to restyle the current platform once more to milk more profit out of them. We've had Retro 1970's and now '71's so logically this might (and that's a BIG "might") be the next progression with the current Challenger. I don't really like the thought of that styling coming back, but it may be a possibility.

--------------------------//----

#14 ·
I would actually love to see it go to the 72-74 next. Those years are still instantly recognizable and have the iconic Challenger styling. The biggest reason they aren't as desirable as 70-71 is because they only came with de-tuned smog engines. Obviously if they continue with the current engine lineup, that won't be a problem this time.

#17 ·
from what Luke (@ Steve White) indicated, that most Redeyes will probably be sold orders - I doubt many dealers are going to have floor stock which starts at $72k and can option up to $92k.

That's the price of a Ram 3500 w/ Cummins and dually rear axle + Laramie trim level.

A dealer would probably move more Rams at that price point than Redeye Hellcats. And that's model of Ram isn't the largest volume seller in light of how many Ram 1500s that move off the lot

#18 ·
Speculation of the progression to the 72-74 Challenger style has been raised a time or two on here before several years ago when we thought we were going to get a new Challenger at that time. While it would be interesting to see how the designers could pull off the 72-74 style, I think it would be too risky. The 70-71 style is so much more popular and it is hard to mess with the success of the models we have had. Hindsight is 20/20 so I don't expect the designers to go there. In the 90's when I was younger I didn't even pay attention to the big differences in the styling of the originals, I liked them all. The 73-74 Challenger Rallye was one of my favorite cars. It wasn't until about 20 years ago that I heard the 72-74 Challengers referred to as "The Creature from the Black Lagoon." Once I looked at pictures of the grills sure enough I saw the resemblance with the open mouth and upper lip. Somebody with some mad computer skills could probably put up a nice comparison.

Anyway, they will eventually have to change the car sometime in the future if not in 2020. I actually think it would be cool if they went back to the '70 style of 2008-2014 except with the updated interior and the improved wheel packages. Maybe throw in a few tweaks to differentiate it from the '08-14 models and roll them out with all the neat heritage packages (Scat Pack, Shaker, T/A). At least it would be cool as a 2020 special edition. I would buy one for sure as I do love the styling of the 08-14's

#21 · (Edited)
It actually looks kind of menacing with the smoked aluminum anodized versions. I just created a rear end mockup - check out the original post. Thanks for the comment!

-----------------------//----

#24 ·
#25 ·
"The reality is those platforms, and that technology we used does need to move on. They can’t exist as you get into the middle-2020s," Manley said at the Detroit auto show, according to The Detroit News. "New technology is going to drive a load of weight out, so we can think of the powertrains in a different way. And we can use electrification to really supplement those vehicles." - Mike Manley.

The Hellcat will more than likely be gone by mid-2020s and any trim above it. New CEO of FCA didn't agree with Sergio keeping the Mercedes platform and seems to be heavily favoring a smaller, lighter and hybrid dodge challenger/charger in the next 4-6 years. This is why for years I have said the 426 will not be coming as a long term offer but instead a limited production one-year product. Manley literally says that the future of American muscle is a hybrid with a much smaller footprint.

#62 · (Edited)
I'm betting that the 426 will be available in 2020. Also betting that the engine stays in production for as long this platform soldiers on.
Everyone knows that a major platform change is coming, no one knows when.

Once the inevitable platform change takes place, no doubt the 426 will once again, be gone.

This time for good.

Anyone up for a factory 426 Hemi Shaker car?

Reactions: kelfo
#26 ·
Some recent bits of information from another Challenger forum. If anyone wants to check out the actual thread it is over at Challenger******; General Discussion; 2019 Orders:

"Final order acceptance for 2019 Challengers is 8/1/19, initial orders open 9/19, production starts 11/19 for 2020. That is late that could indicate some big changes coming."

"An acquaintance.. who "knows things"... says a few styling tweaks are coming... but he really didn't elaborate beyond a new "style line"... not sure what that means.. so I just realized my post has a few words but doesn't really say anything... lol.."

"I'm taking a long shot and guessing that it could be some grill and tail light area style changes. Those would be two of the less costly areas for them to modify, yet at the same time drastically change the retro styling of the car...hint, hint ("It's 1972 again!)."

"I'm guessing the style line is the s-curve that runs the length of the car. Dont know why they would change that for a one-year-only 2020 model, unless the supposed new version wont be out for a few more years."

#27 ·
I think they should go to the 70-74 'Cuda styling. That would extend the current platform a few more years, but I don't know if they would change the name. "Dodge 'Cuda"? That would be alright by me if the styling was right!

#35 ·
if a manufacturer doesn't renew their licensing rights - it becomes public domain or could be claimed by another.

#29 ·
Reactions: PaVaSteeler
#31 ·
I like the Challenger as is and there are many variations of the Challenger. I'm sure FCA will be very careful in making changes since the sales of the Challenger are growing each year. I must live in Challenger country they are everywhere around me out here in po-dunk-ville USA.
When they change it up I hope it makes me want the new one since the one i have will be worn out in 3 yrs of my driving. LOL

#41 ·
However, the Mustang and Camaro are Sports Cars, and Ford and Chevy market them as such. I don't know why writers keep trying to compare them.

https://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/
Mustang is designed to custom-fit the way you drive, down to the last detail. From the look of the instrument panel to the sound of its growl to the way it feels tackling a curve, this legend was born to make your own. Plus, Mustang is the 2018 Highest Ranked Midsize Sporty Car in Initial Quality.

What the heck is a sporty Car?

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/camaro-sports-car
There’s nothing quite like the thrill of getting behind the wheel of a sports car. And when that car is a redesigned 2019 Camaro — from the athletic LS to the track-ready ZL1 — that feeling reaches legendary levels thanks to bold new looks, renowned performance and enhanced technology.

Reactions: PaVaSteeler
#36 ·
Subscribed.

#42 ·
Reactions: jzink0883
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.