Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2019 Ordering; 2020 Launch; 2020 Refresh?

114K views 428 replies 78 participants last post by  liej465 
#1 ·
I figured I would post this for everyone to see and was hoping our resident experts may have some insight on what is to come. I was thinking about buying a used B5 Scat Pack Shaker but would like to know what is going down for 2020. Still thinking about a 1320 but I am hoping Dodge will allow stripes as an option for 2020. From other threads, I've gathered that ordering for 2020 will begin in September of 2019 and production will start in November of 2019. Does anyone have a guess as to when Dodge will announce the new model year to include any new models or options? Is there any event in mid to late summer that would serve as a good platform to do this? Does anyone know when ordering a 2019 model will close? Finally, anyone think that the late ordering for 2020 as well as late production signifies a refresh?

#98 ·
I don't track my car, so I really have no use for more power than the 392. As it is, if I even think about giving it more than half throttle from a standing stop, I am spinning my 275s and going nowhere. But if I did want more power (for track or bragging rights) the cost of low mileage Hellcats is now in the range of buying a new 392 equipped Challenger. That would seem a better option than a $55-60K 426 equipped car.

#99 ·
True.

Thats why Mother Mopar needs to keep the base price of a NARROW BODY 426 SP, around $43K. Option one out from there.
Nicely equipped cars would be able to be had for under $50k.

#100 ·
Assuming the 426 comes out, and is a 50th anniversary car 1st (Mopar 50?). Then either later, or the next model year either they have a separate trim (SRT again?), or the 1320, or the 1320 and Scat Pack become 426 cars. Either there is a new 392 based R/T, or an R/T Scat Pack 392 still. We have to expect them to have a premium over the 392 cars. I doubt they reduce the price of the 392 cars, so the 426 cars would fall in a space between the 392 R/T, and the Hellcat.

SXT FWD/RWD
GT FWD/RWD
R/T 5.7L
R/T 6.4L
426 Cars
Hellcat
Hellcat Redeye
Beelzebub >:)

Or
SXT FWD/RWD
GT FWD/RWD 5.7L
R/T 6.4L
R/T Scat Pack 426
R/T Scat Pack 1320 426
Hellcat
Hellcat Redeye

A Guy

#101 ·
I doubt they reduce the price of the 392 cars, so the 426 cars would fall in a space between the 392 R/T, and the Hellcat.

SXT FWD/RWD
GT FWD/RWD
R/T 5.7L
R/T 6.4L
426 Cars
Hellcat
Hellcat Redeye
Beelzebub >:)

Or
SXT FWD/RWD
GT FWD/RWD 5.7L
R/T 6.4L
R/T Scat Pack 426
R/T Scat Pack 1320 426
Hellcat
Hellcat Redeye

A Guy
A 392 SP starts at $40K. If a 426 SP started at $43K-$44k, the 426 would fall in line between the 392 and the Hellcat.

No need to drop the price of any model.

I realize, wishful thinking, but it would work.

#102 ·
I'm guessing that they'll bring back the SRT trim with the 426 and just shove it in between the Scat Pack and Hellcat.

So it's going to look like:
SXT
GT
R/T 345
R/T Scat Pack 392
SRT 426
SRT Hellcat
SRT Hellcat Redeye

One can only dream of a production SRT Hellephant.

Reactions: SpeedShift
#105 ·
Alright, I'm itching for 2020 model year news. We gotta be getting close. I remember 2015 information came out in April 2014, and similar times of year for other model years. We're well into June, so what's going on?

#107 ·
#109 ·
Not sure how I feel about Manley's comments about the new platform, seems to contradict what Sergio wanted...

On the one hand, I'm not entirely against electric assist systems like the Ram eTorque if it helps us keep producing large coupes with large displacement V8's a little while longer in the age of ever-increasingly restrictive emissions standards. It may even help the car go faster.

And I'm definitely not against the idea of losing weight off of the car and improving the handling, even if that means it has to get a tiny bit smaller/thinner. As long as it remains bigger than the Mustang and the cramp-tastic Camaro, I'll be happy. It may even make the body lines look a little closer to the '70's cars, my one complaint about the modern styling is that the car appears a bit too fat from certain angles (especially in the rear).

But on the other, I don't want them to do *anything* that would ruin the wonderful retro styling of the Challenger, that is its major selling point

#110 ·
There isn't going to be a new platform for 2020. It's either going to be just 2019 repeated with the exact same models, or a 426 Hemi added to the lineup as some believe, or styling refresh to the current car, or any combination of the above. Either way, it's the same platform. We're still years away from a platform change. So I wouldn't worry about that yet.

#111 · (Edited)
I don't even see a major refresh being done, unless the platform will be around for a while.
A refresh for only 1 or 2 years before a new platform, doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. Unless its VERY minor.

Looks to be much cheaper/easier to just add the 426, and bring back some of the nice interior options that are now missing.

The Laguna and Shaker leather packages where very nice. Demonic Red would sell too.

All should should be available across the R/T and SP Challenger line up.

A few new wheel choices would be an affordable and welcome option.

IMHO, the cars cool retro styling, should be the last thing to be messed with.

#112 ·
I'd be perfectly fine with that, a minor refresh, add a 426 option and another 2-4 years on the same basic platform. I know a lot of people are wanting a new platform, but IMO the Challenger is pretty much the last mostly true to the form muscle car. The Camaro and Mustang have morphed into more sports car than muscle car.

With great retro styling, big V8's and being a great car for street and strip it still fill a niche for many of us that we can't find elsewhere in a new car. Once again, man I hope they drop the 426 into the 2020 Challenger :smile:.

#113 ·
Any of our guesses on when a new platform will be introduced, is as good as what FCA is guessing. A new platform has been talked about for years, and it hasn't happened for several reasons.

I can see the 2020 refresh having new front and rear fascias, like has been done in the past. Very reasonable cost doing this.

Also various options and engine packages being made too. Possibly some minor tweeking on other areas of the car.

The Challenger would be good to go for another four years using the same platform that is selling well.

Biggest issue is, like in the past, is what FCA is trying to plan for the future? There plans have changed numerous times.

Bottom line, same platform, same sheet metal, maybe a different hood added, and front and rear updates, is my guess.

#114 · (Edited)
Funny observation, I just noticed that on the Dodge Challenger Build and Price site, that the SP Widebody is now listed as its own model.

Yet the SP Shaker and T/A still remain listed as SP options only.

#117 · (Edited)
Actually surprised that Destroyer Grey is being axed.

Makes since that B5, Plum Crazy and Sublime would bow out to make room for a new round of High Impact colors.

I don't mind Maximum steel, but I always thought it was a little to close in color to Granite.
I don't have production #s at hand, but I believe that Maximum steel R/T's and SP's are some what scarce.
(relatively speaking)

#120 ·
I'd be upset about B5 blue going away if it weren't for the fact that Frostbite looks absolutely sick. Gorgeous color and looks like a pearl as well, just like B5 was. PCP fans shouldn't be too disappointed as Hellraisin is in the same vein. Fans of Sublime have all reason to be disappointed, but it's probably not a popular color, hence why it was just a temporary half-year color. And I'm so happy they got rid of Maximum Steel and Destroyer Gray. We did not need 4 different gray/silver colors. However if it was up to me, I would've jettisoned Granite Crystal or Triple Nickel and kept Destroyer Gray. People seem to have an affinity for the clear coated primer for some reason. However, if you liked any of these colors or even one's discontinued previously (Redline Red anyone??) maybe they'll do another mid-year color addition.

#127 ·
That would be a bummer if Destroyer Grey is discontinued next year...I love this color. My lease is up in the fall of 2020 and I was going to order a 2021 copy of what I have now...2018 5.7L base R/T in DG (leased in fall of 2017). Dodge also apparently made a change to the seating for the base R/T for 2019...the highly-bolstered "performance seats" instead of the "sport seats" are standard. I had a 2015 Scat Pack with the performance seats but never quite got used to them because of my bad back...I prefer the flatter base seats I have now. The sport seats are still standard for the base SXT, but the V6 is not an option for me, and doing a "seat swap" is a possibility but I doubt I'd do that. The good news is there's no danger for a new model in 2021 as far as I can tell. My guess is that will be delayed until at least 2022 or beyond. The rumors of a 2020 refresh suggests that they'd keep the current platform in production for several more years beyond that to make it worth the investment.

#133 · (Edited)
I would love to see the return of Hemi Orange and Deep Water Blue.

Good looking Root beer/Brown/ Copper colors are hard to pull off on any vehicle.
Even trucks have a hard time selling when painted those shades.

IMHO, a cool looking Root Beer on a muscle car, would be tough to do.

It would have to have some type of gold metal flake or something special in it, to set it off.
Root beer/Brown doesn't seem to look that great with stripes in the common colors (black, white, silver, grey) either.

One would have to some serious Horse Power to back that color up :wink3:

But hey what do I know, I love F8 Green.:grin2:

#134 ·
Well, it looks like I won't be getting a Challenger next year like I've planned for the last two years when my lease on my Durango is up. If there is no Sublime I'm not getting another Scat Pack. Why would they discontinue an iconic color like that? It's pure idiocy. I guess I'll be moving to Mustang like most others.

#137 ·
Sublime was restricted to Scat Pack and Hellcat models - to date, I've only seen one '19 in Sublime Green (a club member's wife) in a SP wide body

#135 ·
Moving to Mustang like most others...you're right, that is pure idiocy >:)

A Guy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.