A8 Hurst Shifter Handle Fiasco - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
A8 Hurst Shifter Handle Fiasco

Greetings Everyone, I recently saw a thread here on the A8 Shifter Handle as to the proper operation. Some of us experience having to depress the trigger to downshift in manual mode. I do on my 16 Challenger Scat. Others do not. In that thread Hurst went back and forth and then formally announced : You should NOT have to depress the Trigger to downshift in manual mode. Hurst stated that since the factory trannie has an electronic lockout, a manual one is not needed. Hurst provided a # to call if we are having this issue. I saw this 2 weeks ago and I called that #.

I called and spoke to Customer Service Rep "Ignacio" who was very helpful and was aware of the problem. Ignacio stated for me to send my shifter in and they would repair my handle. I stated "no way" and was informed that I would have to purchase another one, and when I sent the old on back in I would receive a refund. I was told this is because of so many people "ripping them off" by not returning the old handles. I can believe that , so I threw another one on my CC. A few days later...the new one arrived. This is where the fun begins:

After installing the new one.....I had EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM! I called back and then spoke with customer service agent "Ronnie". After bringing Ronnie up to speed, he informed me that is the way the Shifter handle is SUPPOSED to work!!! I was startled to say the least! Ronnie stated that a mechanical lockout was a "good thing" and that it was correct....and there was NO PROBLEM! I then informed Ronnie of the post by Hurst here on this forum. Ronnie stated it was the "IT Dept" that post on the Internet and their office was down the hall from him and he knew who they were. Then a long silence......... (Ronnie was done)

So....I asked Ronnie if he was speaking OFFICIALLY for Hurst and Ronnie replied "Yes....I work here". I then asked Ronnie to PLEASE check further into this and he stated that he would and would call me back in a day or two. (I never heard back from Ronnie)

The next day I called back and reached Ignacio again and he did some field work for me. He asked that I give him a week to talk to everyone and he would call me back. To his credit, Ignacio called me back several times. Ignacio stated that the R&D dept was doing some testing, and promised me a fix in short order. Sure enough, I received a new "lower trigger" that must be installed into the handle. I have attached pictures of the instructions from the trigger kit.

I got the new lower trigger installed today, and it is MUCH improved action and flawless upshifts and downshifts. There is about 1/2 the trigger travel there was before. It is easier to operate than before. You do NOT have to remove the handle to repair.....just remove the drivers side plate and install.

SUMMARY: I am disappointed that Hurst's Customer Service agents are NOT on the same page. I am disappointed that I had to pay over 200 bucks for ANOTHER handle just to get service! I am Disappointed that I had to repair the handle myself after paying a PREMIUM price for their product. However....I do love the handle so I decided it was worth it to keep it and "suffer through". Thank you Ignacio for your dedication and doing the best you could to make me happy. I know you were limited by management. I will be sending my old handle back this week for refund. If there are any more problems, I will update this post immediately.

I hope this helps this Forum in search of the final answer for the proper operation. A mechanical lockout on top of an electrical lockout is NOT needed.

Have a great day..........Gene T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180930_193720723.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	931145   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180930_193743747.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	931147  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Solidman For This Useful Post:
ThinkingAboutIt (10-01-2018), ygbsm (11-12-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 11:32 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
This is not a surprise to me in the least. Hurst's products have been on the decline in terms of QC for years, after the company was bought. I myself had a terrible interaction with one of their customer service people which resulted in the guy raising his voice to me, believe it or not. After that, I removed the Hurst six speed shifter from my car and threw it in the garbage. I ordered a Barton the next day and found that both their products and customer service are light years better than Hurst's. Sorry you are having these problems with them. I know it can be very frustrating.

2012 Challenger SRT8 392 - "Roxy"
Pitch Black, Stripes Delete
6-Speed Manual
All Options

MODS:

Mopar Cold Air Intake
Fastman 84mm Throttle Body
Magnaflow 16420 Mid-Pipes
Magnaflow 16886 Cat-Back
Jet 180° Thermostat
Billet Tech Catch Can
DiabloSport 91 Tune Customized By Sean @ Hemi Fever
Mopar Front Strut Tower Brace
Barton Shifter
Mopar Premium Floor Mats
Mopar Premium Trunk Mat
Mopar Door Sill Guards

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
WOW! When you rip out your shifter and throw it in the trash......you are PISSED!! I am sorry to hear that Rob. That is a REAL shame. Customer Service agents are supposed to be there to RESCUE the sale....not kill it!

I looked at the Barton Shifter handles for the A8 and although they are very nice.....none portrayed the "old school" pistol grip image as well as the Hurst. That's the ONLY reason I toughed it out. I doubt I will do business with them in the future....unless they fire Ronnie!

Thanks for the reply Rob............Gene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 06:13 PM

Garage
Here is my shifter. No one has one like it. I have had this thing since 1987, when it was installed in my Oldsmobile Cutlass. It was brass then and I had it chrome plated. It doesn't do a damn thing except look cool. Its out of a UH-1 helicopter that I used to fly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1057.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	531.4 KB
ID:	931183  

2014 RT Plus/ Automatic
Granite Crystal Metallic
Matte Gray Billboard Decals "Hemi"
BT Oil catch can/blue/ SS braided hoses
AFR 71' Barracuda Grill / 71' Barracuda Fender Gills
Resonators deleted / Flow 409 mufflers
Web Electric Sequential Tail Lights/Brake Pulser
SRT Chin Spoiler 6.1
UH-1 Huey (helicopter) cyclic shifter
Window Tint 35%
Red brake calipers
Weather Tech floor mats
Fumoto Quik Valve
factory splash guards
Tred Wear raised white letters on original GoodYear tires
The Following User Says Thank You to movnviol For This Useful Post:
GSBrockman (07-04-2019)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
You win!!! lol That thing is SWEET!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 07:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by movnviol View Post
Here is my shifter. No one has one like it. I have had this thing since 1987, when it was installed in my Oldsmobile Cutlass. It was brass then and I had it chrome plated. It doesn't do a damn thing except look cool. Its out of a UH-1 helicopter that I used to fly.
There is a guy here that goes to a local cruise night that flew his Huey in Vietnam and has that control as his shifter in a very nice Mustang. His license plate is a Vietnamese phrase of Sin Loy which translates to pardon me but in slang it means tough sh*t.

Clint

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is
impossible- but pissing everyone off, is a piece of cake.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 10:17 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidman View Post
WOW! When you rip out your shifter and throw it in the trash......you are PISSED!! I am sorry to hear that Rob. That is a REAL shame. Customer Service agents are supposed to be there to RESCUE the sale....not kill it!

I looked at the Barton Shifter handles for the A8 and although they are very nice.....none portrayed the "old school" pistol grip image as well as the Hurst. That's the ONLY reason I toughed it out. I doubt I will do business with them in the future....unless they fire Ronnie!

Thanks for the reply Rob............Gene
Pissed to say the least, Gene. I'm an extremely cordial and calm person, and whoever their customer service guy was at the time made it clear he just didn't want to help me. I asked if he could transfer me to someone else to talk to, and the guy raised his voice and said "I don't have a boss! If you want help, you're stuck with me!" Unreal.

Barton's are really only top dog for manual trannies, their auto shifters are okay looking, not as cool aesthetically as the Hurst, but at least they work as designed. Wish there was another option out there for you.

Good luck.

Rob
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Unreal Rob!!! I might have been tempted to go see him since your in Cali! I have to agree with you that Barton Auto handles do not do it for me either. With the new Trigger......the Hurst Pistol Grip Handle looks and performs just perfect! Ignacio really saved the day on this one. The agent that you spoke with sounds like Ronnie. Attitude and whatever he thinks or feels goes. Small power trip ....Sad. Sorry bout that Rob...
The Following User Says Thank You to Solidman For This Useful Post:
RobF (10-02-2018)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 09:58 AM

Just wanted to thank the OP for this thread. I got my Hurst shifter handle last week and installed it on Friday. Guess what? You have to pull the trigger to downshift in manual mode. Thanks to this thread, I knew that there was a lower trigger upgrade for this problem. So I called Hurst this morning and they are shipping out a new lower trigger to me.

If Hurst is reading this thread, there are still problems with the current batch of Hurst shifters. My order number was 553946 on November 2 if you want to check on recent production and sales.

1968 Dodge Charger R/T
2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack
2017 Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I was hoping Hurst would FIX this so no one else would have to go through it! But I'm glad my info helped. Be sure to add a little grease and you will love it........Gene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode