AGAIN Chrysler??? :( - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
AGAIN Chrysler??? :(

I've only had my 2012 R/T Classic for 3 weeks, put on 600 miles (11 or 12th Chrysler?)... I have to say I'm completely disheartened. Within the first week my clutch pedal began to vibrate/buzz when depressing and releasing. I also noticed that when the pedal is depressed and you go into neutral you can feel and hear the input shaft do it's final spin-down (pilot bearing?). I took it to the dealer and showed a tech. He convinced me that the vibration is motor vibration coming from stiff motor mounts.

2 weeks later, it's getting worse, especially in warm/hot temps. Also, now the car has developed a rear end whine when I let off the gas at 60-70.

I have driven Chrysler products all my life, but this is twice in a row a brand new top of the line vehicle has driveline issues. I just got rid of a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited that constantly popped out of gear in cold temps. After countless trips back to the dealer is was "fixed" with a custom made part. 2nd gear was never right IMHO. Then it leaked from countless seals (door and softtop) and I had enough. Never traded a car in a year and a half before, but I don't have time to live in the service dept.

My Challenger is no fun to drive with all these issues and my "new car experience" is crap AGAIN. My wife wants another Chrysler product and I gotta say, I keep getting burned so I think we'll have to look elsewhere

Btw - my $18k Kia commuter car has been a pleasure since day 1. Maybe it should bump my $37k Challenger out of coveted garage space.

This sucks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 05:55 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Sorry to hear about your issues. As long as the car is under warranty, problems like these will eventually get sorted out by the dealer on their dime, so I wouldn't stress too bad over it. It's mostly the inconvenience of it that is irksome. The R/T is not the top of the line, by the way.

2012 Challenger SRT8 392 - "Roxy"
Pitch Black, Stripes Delete
6-Speed Manual
All Options

MODS:

Mopar Cold Air Intake
Fastman 84mm Throttle Body
Magnaflow 16420 Mid-Pipes
Magnaflow 16886 Cat-Back
Jet 180° Thermostat
Billet Tech Catch Can
DiabloSport 91 Tune Customized By Sean @ Hemi Fever
Mopar Front Strut Tower Brace
Barton Shifter
Mopar Premium Floor Mats
Mopar Premium Trunk Mat
Mopar Door Sill Guards

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
As long as the car is under warranty, problems like these will eventually get sorted out by the dealer on their dime, so I wouldn't stress too bad over it.
After my 2011 Rubicon experience... I would argue that point. Not to mention I don't have time to live in a dealer's service dept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
The R/T is not the top of the line, by the way.
Yeah, I get your point - but I don't consider SRT vehicles part of the normal lineup. The point was, SXT -> R/T -> R/T Classic, not to mention this is a fully loaded car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 06:51 AM

When my 2010 R/T was new and I was hyper aware of everything I couldn't find fault in any way.

Now almost three years later it's still faultless.And that includes lack of paint
defects,mysterious dents,cracked rocker cladding,timing chains,axle whine,or anything else.Geez,I'm almost getting paranoid and expect it to fall apart in the driveway after listening to all this.

I will admit that there has always been an almost undetectable axle whine when when letting off of the throttle at speed.If I listen for it carefully with the windows up and radio off I can hear it.Ummm excuse me but this is a performance car and some of those mechanical noises sound cool to me.

Good luck and hope you get that buzzing clutch pedal straightened out,I'll add that to my list of things to worry about with mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
She calls it "The Beast"
2010 R/T with B5 blue classic package. 6 speed.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 07:00 AM

I had numerous issues with my 2009 and 2008 SRT Challengers but my 2010 Challengers, one an R/T and the other SRT had no issues at all. I was finally able to sort out my issues with the earlier SRTs and my 08 has beeen just great now for quite a while. Who knows why some cars have issues and others seemingly none at all. Built on a "Friday" seems to be accurate enough!!!

2015 Sublime Green Shaker Plus NEW!!
2016 Billet Silver SXT Plus (sold)
2017 Yellow Jacket T/A Plus NEW!!
2017 Yellow Jacket R/T Classic (sold to exgirlfriend!)
2015 Sublime Green Shaker Plus (sold)
2014 Header Orange Shaker Plus (sold)
2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic (sold)
2015 Sublime Green R/T Classic (sold)
2012 Stinger Yellow SRT8 6.4 (sold)
2010 B5 Blue SRT8 6.1 (sold)
2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic (sold)
2008 Hemi Orange SRT8 6.1 (sold)

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 07:17 AM

I do have to say the clutch pedal noise you are hearing is normal. ALL of the manual Challengers do it. The gear whine is not normal but most of the Challengers do it too. All 3 of the Challengers and SRT8 Charger I had in the past had the gear whine. My 392 was the worst and really loud.

2007 Procharged SRT8 Charger..........SOLD
2010 Mopar 10 Challenger.................SOLD
2010 R/T Classic Challenger...............SOLD
2011 392 Challenger.........................SOLD
2012 mid 10 second 1/4 mile GT500.... SOLD

Current ride
100% stock 2013 Plum SuperBee............best of 12.407 @ 114.28
With drag radials, tune and CAI...............best of 12.008 @ 115.74

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Tech View Post
I do have to say the clutch pedal noise you are hearing is normal. ALL of the manual Challengers do it. The gear whine is not normal but most of the Challengers do it too. All 3 of the Challengers and SRT8 Charger I had in the past had the gear whine. My 392 was the worst and really loud.
By "noise" you mean the spinning/metal-on-metal type noise when you go into neutral and hear/feel the input shaft spin-down? It seems it's a bit delayed after pushing in the clutch pedal - like the input shaft needs to slow down to a certain speed before it vibrates.

When the tech drove my car, he said it was all "normal" but he also shifted like crap. 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, etc, he didn't feather the clutch at all, he just pushed it in and let it out. Felt like riding a bucking bronco. Shifting like that certainly minimizes the amount of vibration felt, but making a car buck like that doesn't seem like a healthy way to shift.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
The R/T is not the top of the line, by the way.
Are you saying that anything except the SRT is junk?
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 07:52 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Little things like clutch noises are expected. My car is also perfect. I have a slight whine from the rear. Who cares my exhaust (Mopar Borla) drones it out. I'm not going to nitpick every tiny noise like its a disaster.

Omg. It's a car. Drive it. It's gonna make noises

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 07:59 AM

Thanked 4,303 Times in 2,683 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersteel View Post
Are you saying that anything except the SRT is junk?
Na, he's just into the "SRT Brand" hype. It's hard for some folks to realize that the SRT comes off the same line, with the majority of the same parts, and some upgrades for a premium price.

Chrysler is hitting a home run with profits on the Challenger, and a Grand Slam on the SRT version.

The Past: 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T "Classic" RIP Old Buddy 6/4/15

The Present: 2016 R/T Scat Pack. Factory Options: B5 Blue, 24G Package(A8), WRT Wheels, and Modern R/T Hood Stripe. Engine HP Mods: None Needed. HC Air Box/Tube; DIPs Screen; BT Catch Can; Mopar front Brace;"TA" style side stripes; Mopar '10 Center Caps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode