Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Am I being ridiculous?

4K views 46 replies 15 participants last post by  cardaze 
#1 ·
So I bought my Challenger on May 4th and picked it up like May 10th when it came to town. I don’t drive it everyday (work van) so I didn’t notice the back window brake light was missing (see photo.) My assumption is someone removed it to do the tint and never installed it.

So I finally noticed it sitting back there a few days later and told the dealership. They told me to schedule a time to bring it between 8-4 M-F and I said that’s impossible I cannot do that and I’m certainly not taking off work. I told them to get me a loaner and I’ll drop it off overnight and come pick it back up, they balked and said we’ll think on it. Finally 6 days later they say, “yeah we don’t have any” so I had to bring my car to the dealership and have my wife follow me there and take me home yesterday, then the exact same thing today to pick it up. It’s not a big deal but it is about 15 miles each way and around 25-30 minutes each direction. I made a half hearted comment yesterday about gas and it being clean. I pick it up, it’s installed but now I have a dirty car (left outside) that I spent hours cleaning last week and I’m out gas. Am I being petty to be annoyed by this? It isn’t my fault so why am I doing all the work here? My wife said just let it go but I kind of want to say something about it. What do you think?

Windshield Sky Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#6 ·
Consider yourself lucky. When I bought my 2010 R/T new the window tinter completely scratched both door glass which had to be replaced and OEM glass was not available. Fast forward to my 2016 new purchase which I bought 150 miles away. When I got home I noticed two small scratches on the right door glass, the third brake light was not installed correctly and there was a single edge razor blade on the passenger side floor. Dealership would not replace the glass. As far as washing, I would never let a dealership do that. Like AL said, count your blessings and move on. Your experience is minor for a dealership.

#7 ·
Yikes!! I can’t believe you went through all that. Thanks for the advice! I guess I’m used to Chevy. When I bought my 2017 camaro they didn’t clean it and it had sticky soda all over the console. They made me go back to sign papers they messed up and left me sitting there for 30 minutes while I watched the finance guy go on break and go into an office with a bunch of employees and start to eat. I got annoyed and left, they called me and I told them to let me know when they’d be available and that i sat there long enough waiting. The GM called me back minutes later; filled both our gas tanks (we bought 2 cars), re-cleaned my car and gave me a loaner for a whole day while they did it and gave me 8 free oil changes for the inconvenience. Lol so I guess that was the huge exception.

#8 ·
When I bought from the local Dodge dealer it was "stressed highly" if ANYTHING is wrong please let us know before you fill out the Dodge customer survey. Even after that when I had service work done....if ANYTHING is wrong Please let us know before doing the survey. You do have the last word on them.........and there are other dealers.

#10 ·
I think you have a valid gripe, I am just not sure anyone who can change what happened is even in a position to listen to you. Dealer service departments really don't aim for customer satisfaction, they aim to maximize revenue and minimize any sort of feedback or complaints. Given that orientation, which I believe even exists at the local Mercedes Benz service department I use, I'd move on and forget it. You've got a great car, it's fixed now, and like someone else said, nobody would clean it or care for it like you would anyway...

#11 ·
Yeah, that’s probably true. The salesman had to set it all up but I guess it’s just best I let it go. I guess I have to wash it again Saturday now lol.

#13 ·
I hear where you’re coming from but you’ll have a stroke before they give you your way. To us real car guys these things really matter but to a dealer it’s just an item and NOT anything special, it’s just a car. Both my Challenger and my Wrangler JK have open recalls for a passenger side air bag replacement but sadly am hesitant due to nobody takes care of your stuff like you do. Talking to the service manager made me have ZERO comfort in having them touch my things.

Clint

#15 ·
I hear where you’re coming from but you’ll have a stroke before they give you your way. To us real car guys these things really matter but to a dealer it’s just an item and NOT anything special, it’s just a car. Both my Challenger and my Wrangler JK have open recalls for a passenger side air bag replacement but sadly am hesitant due to nobody takes care of your stuff like you do. Talking to the service manager made me have ZERO comfort in having them touch my things.

Clint

Agreed. I was nervous leaving it in their hands. I walked the whole car after I got it back to
Make sure it wasn’t dented or scratched. I’ve seen horror stories on Camaro6 of departs twisting frames by lifting them wrong. Needless to say I’m changing my own oil and doing my own maintenance on this car.

Reactions: Bob Ricewasser
#17 ·
. Finally 6 days later they say, “yeah we don’t have any” so I had to bring my car to the dealership and have my wife follow me there and take me home yesterday, then the exact same thing today to pick it up. It’s not a big deal but it is about 15 miles each way and around 25-30 minutes each direction. I made a half hearted comment yesterday about gas and it being clean. I pick it up, it’s installed but now I have a dirty car (left outside) that I spent hours cleaning last week and I’m out gas.
Sorry, and I might be missing something, but wouldn't it have been very quick and painless to put that light back in place yourself?

Full disclosure: I would reluctantly take my vehicles to a dealer for things like a grenaded engine or trans, if it was still under warranty.

#18 ·
Sorry, and I might be missing something, but wouldn't it have been very quick and painless to put that light back in place yourself?

Full disclosure: I would reluctantly take my vehicles to a dealer for things like a grenaded engine or trans, if it was still under warranty.

I attempted to but I couldn’t figure out how the hell it went back in and there’s a wire harness that plugs in also. The service guy today said there’s screws you have to remove I guess, I didn’t see any when I looked.

#19 ·
For the love of god. I’m not sure why I assumed they just did it and didn’t even look. I’m the midst of this conversation I went to look and they didn’t even fix it! It’s still sitting on my back seat behind the drivers seat. Now I’m definitely going to raise hell.

#20 ·
For the love of god. I’m not sure why I assumed they just did it and didn’t even look. I’m the midst of this conversation I went to look and they didn’t even fix it! It’s still sitting on my back seat behind the drivers seat.
Ouch. Well, maybe now you understand why I won't let dealers touch my vehicles if I can help it?

#24 ·
Wow that is crazy LOL. I just asked for an actual Dodge key to be programmed on my 2004 Durango. They did that right and they told me I have 2 active recalls for the airbags, which I know. My work schedule doesn't allow me to get there while they actually do this stuff. Sorry yours was so completely bad. I still don't trust them.

#27 ·
I sent them an unhappy email haha. What a stupid experience. Waste all that time and gas for something so stupid and it still isn’t fixed lol. I guess I’m going to have to use all my tools and really learn how to work on my cars.

Reactions: Jimmy N.
#28 ·
Cripes. Wasn’t trying to poke fun at you. [emoji23] I thought that was what THEY wrote on the repair order. Since it actually said “lamp”, it’s a mystery they couldn’t figure out what needed to be repaired. [emoji848]
Still, it’s fixed now, thanks to you, and it’ll be clean soon, again thanks to you. May you have many Saturday washings ahead of you. [emoji3475][emoji3476]

#32 ·
Hahaha you’re good, i just typed it wrong! It shouldn’t be a mystery, I talked to the service guy and I told him exactly what it was. He even said, “oh they probably removed it to tint the back window and forgot to reinstall it.”

Saturday wash day coming soon!!

#29 ·
Personally, I don't want anyone, especially the dealer washing my car. In fact...

A Guy

#31 ·
It's not about different, it's about a paint corrected and coated car and not letting just anyone wash it with an old t-shirt. There is a 2 bucket, Marino wool wash mitt, grit guard wash, and there is a dealer wash. Only the former, and only by me for my car. The idea for the tag is simple...DO NOT WASH!

A Guy

#35 ·
I have to echo the sentiment of not having others wash the car. An employee's husband purchased a new ZL1 Camaro this year. Washing was part of the dealer prep. They scratched the hell out of the paint - all over - during the wash. I can't imagine buying a new car and having it go straight to a body shop for paint repair...

#36 ·
Oh hell no! Especially on a 70K car! I’d be pissed. From my time on the GM forums the posters aren’t big fans of GM paint jobs anyways. They always clay bar and wash them immediately once they get them.

#41 ·
Get some Expel PPF and you're set. Done right, you'll never notice it's there, but with it's self healing properties, all but large rock hits will not even show. A Guy

Reactions: Cominfromcamaro
#44 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Motor vehicle
Dealer responded, they’re going to fill my gas tank because they know they messed up.

And you guys were right, it felt good to wash it and make it so beautiful all over again! [emoji1786]

#45 ·
At the end of the day, it's their job, they don't care about you or your car. I've dealt with a dealership twice in the two years I've had my SRT, one for the airbag recall and one for a free inspection, both of which went smooth, luckily. All the minor scratches on it when I picked it up from the dealership were there when I bought it. In my opinion, simple tasks/fixes such as oil changes should always be done by yourself if you have a little space, a basic selection of tools at your disposal, and the slightest bit of mechanical inclination, as there is no reason not to--it's cheaper, less time wasted, no worry of someone else f*cking up your ride, and it's somewhat satisfying.

#47 ·
I don't think you are being ridiculous, it's just a different level of care. I know they see so many cars and are only looking for the $$ at the end of the day. I am not justifying it, I am just saying they could care less about your car, my car, or anyone else's. I also think that if you are a true enthusiast, then you have a different level of appreciation. I have a level of craziness when it comes to mine and I know I am over the top, ridiculous. Plus, why would you want them to run your car through their car wash. They certainly won't hand wash it. It's probably better they didn't touch it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.