Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Argh! Just saw a little girl smack my challenger with her car door.

9K views 71 replies 37 participants last post by  Nuke 
#1 · (Edited)
Co-worker and I were out to lunch at the local Taco Bell. We were seated by the window overlooking my challenger. There were 2 spaces open on my driver's side and 4 on the passenger side. We just finished eating when a Lady and her kid pull up in a black Escalade...you guessed it, parked right next to the passenger side of the challenger. The mom gets out and start walking towards the building...shortly after her daughter (10-12 years old) opens her door (she sat behind the driver's seat) and wham...I see the door hit my challenger. I motion to the mom through the window that her kid just hit my car. I step outside and the mom is immediately telling her kid "it's ok...it was an accident." Accident my ass, there was no wind to cause the door to swing open. The mom then says, "well show me where the damage is"...in a snarky voice. I start looking down from the rear, right fender and she barks...sir, the door is way up front. She opens the door and immediately you can see the dent it left (wasn't that bad but still...WTF). Rather than apologize she spouts out..."well how much do you want?" I looked at the girl and said...next time be more careful when you open a car door. The mom gave me this pissed off look like...don't you tell my kid what to do. I should have said $200 bucks but to be honest the mom's attitude was really pissing me off to the point I was going to start cussing at her. So I told her, "just make sure your kid is more careful opening doors when there are other cars around." The look on her face (she rolled her eyes up as to say whatever) made me so mad. I got in the challenger with my co-worker and just smoked the tires so that any rocks and debris would hit her Escalade. Although, that poor Escalade was full of dings and paint scrapes. Sorry had to vent.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sorry to hear that!!! Well you wonder what is wrong with kids today? There's your answer. Unreal.

#6 ·
Oh that mom definitely pissed me off, I really feel for the poor bastard that married her...he really took one for the team. >:)

Can't believe parents these days. If it was my kid I would have apologized and had my kid thank the nice person for not making me pay for the dent.

My co-worker said I should have called the police to file a report for insurance but I already know how that would have panned out. The mom would have played victim to the big angry man that is complaining about a little dent her poor daughter made, and that her daughter would now need therapy from the post traumatic stress of the whole ordeal. I have had 3 occasions where police and a stay at home mom (that was at fault) were involved and all of them made out the mom to be a victim.

Then dent is not that bad (I'll post a pic) but had there been an effort to apologize I would not have been so pissed. What I don't understand is why the mom just had to park right next to my car when there were 3 other spots on that side?!

#4 ·
Co-worker and I were out to lunch at the local Taco Bell. We were seated by the window overlooking my challenger. There were 2 spaces open on my driver's side and 4 on the passenger side. We just finished eating when a Lady and her kid pull up in a black Escalade...you guessed it, parked right next to the passenger side of the challenger. The mom gets out and start walking towards the building...shortly after her daughter (10-12 years old) opens her door (she sat behind the driver's seat) and wham...I see the door hit my challenger. I motion to the mom through the window that her kid just hit my car. I step outside and the mom is immediately telling her kid "it's ok...it was an accident." Accident my ass, the was no wind to cause the door to swing open. The mom then says, well show me where the damage is...in a snarky voice. I start looking down from the rear, right fender and she barks...sir, the door is way up front. She opens the door and immediately you can see the dent it left (wasn't that bad but still...WTF). Rather than apologize she spouts out...well how much do you want? I looked at the girl and said...next time be more careful when you open a car door. The mom gave me this pissed off look like...don't you tell my kid what to do. I should have said $200 bucks but to be honest the mom's attitude was really pissing me off to the point I was going to start cussing at her. So I told her, "just make sure your kid is more careful opening doors when there are other cars around." The look on her face (she rolled her eyes up as to say whatever) made me so mad I, got in the challenger with my co-worker and just smoked the tires so that any rocks and debris would hit her Escalade. Although, that poor Escalade was full of dings and paint scrapes. Sorry had to vent.
Kinder than I would've been...

#7 ·
Guess I can't blame the kid. They are known to be irresponsible but that mothers attitude! She blew a perfect learning moment for that kid. Think I'd have exchanged insurance info. along with a few pics. just in case. Good example why most of us park at a restaurant where we can sit and watch our investment :)

#8 ·
Had a similar thing happen to me many years ago when I was living in Lost Wages Nevada, a place where nobody gives a rip. I was living in an apartment complex, got home from work early and there were literally no other cars in the parking lot. I had a brand new vehicle. Got inside, looked out the window and sure enough, here comes an old decrepit Oldsmobuick land yacht and the guy, all 400 pounds of him, pulls within a few inches of my vehicle. Why? Because crappy drivers need another vehicle to use as a spotter. He swings the door open, my car rocks back and forth. By the time I got outside he was in his apartment. Nice big dent in my new car with particles of his decayed door molding stuck in it. Got him out to look at it and of course he denied it and opened the door and the dent did not match up. So I told him to put his fat a** back in the car and then the door lined up with the dent. Still denied it. Neither his nor my insurance would pay for it. It was pre-PDR so I had to live with it.

Nowadays when I absolutely, positively have to park near other cars I use this.......
https://www.doorshox.com/
Looks stupid but it works.

#9 ·
Sorry to hear what happened. I can't believe how people treat their vehicles and ours. They have no respect for other peoples property. They act like their car was free and disposable and treat your car the same way. Reminds me of a time when I had a '69 Camaro that I just restored with a brand new paint job.I went to a mall and parked a mile away,not a sole around.Came back to my car and another car was parked right next it. Only 2 cars a mile from the mall. Can't tell you how many times I go out to my Z71 pick up in a parking lot and find door dings in it. I know exactly how you're feeling except I never see it actually happening. Always a bad surprise.

#10 ·
That sucks.

I always try to park away from other driver's side doors because all vehicles have a driver, but they don't all have a passenger.

And I try to park in undesireable areas of the parking lot. Not necessarily way out, but in a spot that may not be easy to whip into or next to.

The last spot on the right of a row is great. Favor the right side of the parking spot.

Also, people suck. Avoid them.

#40 ·
All good suggestions. Might I add parking next to islands or landscaped areas of parking lots also minimize the chances of damage to your car. And if you have to park next to someone, your best bet is to park next to a mini van since most have sliding side doors.

#12 ·
You are a WAY TO NICE!!! The same thing happened to me in Mrs. Mailman's car at a McDonalds this past winter. There was a red stripe down the side of our white Escape about half the size of a dollar bill. Woman's maybe 15 yr old kid hit it with her rear door. We both called the authorities and in the meantime I had to put up with physical threats, she was going to have her maybe 17 yr old son (plays HS football) "take care of me" while hitting me with racial slurs. PLEASE DON"T THROW ME OFF THE FORUM! But, when some ***** with a carload of mixed race kids repeatedly refers to me as 'some old white dude!', that's not acceptable! I don't even know how I kept my cool, and I did. And bottom line, her insurance paid me over $400 and I buffed out the damage myself and spent the check on a bunch of detailing stuff and a new shift knob and seat covers for my MX-5.

Wow! My hands are a little shaky recalling that night. You were wrong to let that woman walk on that one!! And I really hope your car is OK...............the Mailman

#13 · (Edited)
I wouldn't of been so nice, and the way you described the mother I'm kind of sure shes like them dumb one's that have TV shows that annoy the hell out of me, that my wife likes to watch, which are just bunch of drama, I'm not racist but I don't want guy to get mad at me lol

Cuz I'm not very polite, I'll say what's on my mind especially when I'm mad.

I'll wait for the pictures....[emoji897]

Oh yeah remember this happened once when I was in the new vehicle at the time, while back they swung the door open, I rolled my window down told them wtf was there problem they just all got out and went in to Walmart well let's just say that car was there for a few day's [emoji2369]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Looking at the dent again it really isn't bad at all...could have been way worse. At the time it was noticeable enough that the mom realized her kid did hit the car otherwise she would not have said, how much do you want? Good thing the car is white because it is not that visible until you get up on it. I could see if I called the police the officer would have been like...really?!

Attachments

#16 ·
I do have OCD...but at the time I think my anger made it seem like 4x the size....I mean even my co-worker was like "you should have called the police". When I pulled the car in the garage I was able to spot it right away. I might be able to get it from the inside and give it a wack from the other side. I really lucked out...thanks for letting me vent.

#17 ·
Not shocking, parents and people today are royal *******s, I would have lost it on her! I had a similar situation where a girl kept parking next to my car in my apartment parking lot. Not just next to it, she couldn’t find parking so she would park in the no parking zone between my spot and the handicap spot. She would leave me like 12” of clearance between her car and mine. One day I noticed a dent on my driver side and I was so fed up try to sneak into my car in the mornings I walked outside and she did it again and I kicked her car so hard with my steel toed boots it left a dent. She never parked next to me again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
Some people with crappy cars will park next to your nice new car just to make a point that you are not special. Even parking a long ways away will sometimes attract them. The wife and I were parked in a handicap spot (she has a pass) and when we returned to the truck there was a guy parked within inches of the passenger side. The spot he was in was in was cross hatched and not an actual spot. He was in the car with the stereo blasting. His car was a convertible and he ended up with a lit cigarette in his car and the wife accidentally hit his car with her cane while trying to get the door open. He didn't even notice or attempt to move. My new Widebody only goes to work on days when the parking garage is pretty empty and I can park in one of the spots where there is no spot next to it.

#29 ·
In most instances, parking in the crosshatched area is a double fine. Why? Someone with a handicap van needs that area to deploy their ramp. They double the fine to make a point.

#27 ·
sorry to read this brother. no way would I have given her or her kid a pass though...
my son said it best when a few weeks ago, mine got vandalized!
"dad, you cant have anything nice in this world, there is always somebody out there who will make sure of that"

Reactions: Old Busted Hotness
#34 ·
Always good to have a police report. Just because you exchange insurance info does not me the person is insured. Years ago, I had a driver give me their insurance card but when I called the insurance company they said the driver cancelled the policy a month after obtaining coverage. With a police report you have a record and proof of the incident that can be used in court.

#35 ·
I would call the police and exchange insurance info. Would I then actually have it repaired. Not normally from your description of the damage; but, given her attitude I would let her know her being a b***h just got her a claim against her policy. Then I might have told the daughter if her mommy had been nice you would have found it in your heart to forget it.

My wife has a handicap placard so whenever she is with me I park in a handicap spot with the crossed areas between spots. If I found someone parked in one of those, that would result in a call to the police, as well. When she's not with me, I get good exercise walking from the distant edges of parking lots into stores. My car has almost 63,000 miles on it so you know it has some nicks in the paint from stuff thrown up from the road. Nonetheless, we all want our cars to look as nice as possible and we don't need unsolicited help destroying them.

#36 ·
I agree with the mother failing in hr parenting duties. My kids know better, but they are kids and still don’t think all the time even though they’ve been told something over and over. If I was that parent it would have gone down differently and my kid would be giving up all there saved allowance money. Not to mention apologies from the kid and myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#37 ·
I always try to find a spot next to a curb or island and get as close as I can to the curb. That way if a car pulls in and is centered in the lines it gives them enough room to get out.

#38 ·
I will park in Egypt if it means nobody parks by me. I hunt for these spots as well, then there’s no excuse if they hit you. I usually inspect when I come back if anyone parks by me. I will kick your car if you ding mine, that’s just karma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#39 · (Edited)
I already have two "dings" on the Challenger. One of them is visible 6-10 feet away.

On another car, I just pulled into a parking space. Lots of room on both sides. I don't know why a man decided to push his shopping cart between our cars to load ONE bag. The cart hit my car. I was still in the car. I looked at him, like I can't believe it. He looked at me like he was about to punch me (for looking at him).

I had to let it go or it was going to be a fight. Right or wrong. I later saw the small dent in my door.

I park away from people, twice removed. And people still park next to me. I park one floor higher, and there would be someone next to me. I lean toward one side, and they lean toward me leave just enough space as if it was a compact stall.

There are days I just wish I was the kind of person that don't give a f....about other people's cars/property, etc.

I want to live with this kind of freedom. Or should we call that disrespect.

#42 ·
Originally there was a minivan parked on the driver's side, but that family left without incident. When the Escalade pulled up...I had 2 empty spot on the driver side and 4 on the passenger...but the lady had to park in a spot right next to me.

Even if you do park at a remote location, someone ALWAYS has to park next to you. This is what happened to me a couple of years ago...again another lunch time incident but this time there was fortunately no dent.

https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/7777433-post40.html

#44 ·
Even if you do park at a remote location, someone ALWAYS has to park next to you.
I've come to the conclusion that some people are closely related to sheep.

Yes, gotta park next to someone. Or set up camp right next to someone. Or keep bumping their shopping cart into someone in the line at the cashier...and so on.

It even holds true on the road; everybody drives in the exact same tracks. Heck, I wouldn't need to maintain my driveway much if people didn't insist on always driving in the same tracks.

#43 ·
You should have taken something for the damage. My car has a single mark on it, right under the driver's door handle, it's more of a rub spot than anything else. It's not a big deal to me, as I'm not that anal anymore, but if it was just someone flipping open a door, I would have been angry, if I saw it.

#45 ·
So sorry this happened to you! I mostly just drive my '13 R/T to work and I have a nice back spot in a corner..I can park way over to in the spot so I am no where near the line on the adjacet parking spot. Also the same co-worker always parks next to me and she is very careful. I rarely take it to any store parking lots but when I do I always park in the back...near an island so the passenger side is blocked. So far no dings and I hope it stays that way...on a black car you see every little imperfection!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.