Better spark plugs? - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
I’m not expecting a performance gain. I think you nay sayers aren’t hearing me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I’m simply putting in a superior set of spark plugs. That’s it. I replaced the BRAND NEW spark plugs in my mustang when I got that car (less than 2000 miles them probably) and it made a world of difference in how it idled and ran as a whole. So, I’m attempting to get the same results here, with the same plugs in a different car.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:45 PM

Garage
There's nothing wrong with your factory plugs, and it would be a waste to change them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

// 2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 392, TR-6060, Billet Silver, SPAG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
There was nothing wrong with the plugs in my mustang. Yet, the level of difference was 10 fold better. I’m not saying my factory plugs are defective in any way. Who doesn’t understand the definition of “better” plugs. I don’t get where the confusion is.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:17 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
I think the fact your car already has the 'better' plugs may have eluded you.

2016 SRT 392, A8, Granite Crystal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fawls For This Useful Post:
RoadTrippin' (05-14-2019)
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,338 Times in 971 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AttackHelicopter View Post
I’m simply putting in a superior set of spark plugs. That’s it. I replaced the BRAND NEW spark plugs in my mustang when I got that car (less than 2000 miles them probably) and it made a world of difference in how it idled and ran as a whole. So, I’m attempting to get the same results here, with the same plugs in a different car.
Short answer: you won't see any increase in performance by changing to a different spark plug from what's in your Hemi now.

Long answer: the dual spark plugs per combustion chamber on the Hemi's effectively reduces the spark plugs' electrode material to being relevant for longevity only. So no matter if you run the standard copper core, platinum, double platinum, or iridium plugs, it is unlikely that changing to a different type of plug will yield any benefit as far as the individual combustion events are concerned.

There is some difference between brands possibly, but even then, I think most everyone agrees that NGK is the top of the line...and you already have those.

If you were able to get some extra oomph from a different set of plugs in the new-ish Mustang's engine, that could theoretically be attributed to the difference in (quality of) the spark plugs' brand and/or center electrode material I guess. However, that difference is negated with the dual plug setup in the Hemi I'm thinking.

2 of a lesser plug will equal what 1 of a better plug can do when it comes to exploding air/fuel mixtures.

2012 Charger R/T with Pursuit pkg. (2018 - ?)
-- The Bacon Hauler
------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Challenger Rallye Redline (2015 - 2018)
2011 Challenger Toxic Orange SE (2011 - 2014)
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
There was nothing wrong with the plugs in my mustang. Yet, the level of difference was 10 fold better. I’m not saying my factory plugs are defective in any way. Who doesn’t understand the definition of “better” plugs. I don’t get where the confusion is.
Hyperbole is great, but you're ignoring facts. The confusion is why you think you'll see any gains.

Did you previously own a turbo Honda with a Shanghai spinny boi on it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Hellcat
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:34 AM

Thanked 4,293 Times in 2,678 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Confusion or lack of comprehension is on your part.

You asked and you were told by several folks that aren't confused with your question, and aren't lacking any comprehension either. Lol

The Past: 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T "Classic" RIP Old Buddy 6/4/15

The Present: 2016 R/T Scat Pack. Factory Options: B5 Blue, 24G Package(A8), WRT Wheels, and Modern R/T Hood Stripe. Engine HP Mods: None Needed. HC Air Box/Tube; DIPs Screen; BT Catch Can; Mopar front Brace;"TA" style side stripes; Mopar '10 Center Caps
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Yup. The 4469’s. All 16 of em. The ones in the challenger from what I understand are just basic copper tipped ones. The IX’s are the max performance ones.
This could be the cause of your frustration, your '19 R/T came with NGK Iridium plugs from the factory, they stopped using the copper plugs in '13.

Life is too short to drive a boring car.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Now if they already have the 4469 iridium plugs in there then I stand corrected. So far I’ve been lead to believe they had coppers in them. And again to everyone else, I’m not looking for a performance gain here. If I already have the iridium plugs and not the copper, then I’ll send em back. I haven’t pulled my current plugs yet to even see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode