Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Brampton Shutdown for 2 Weeks

12K views 101 replies 19 participants last post by  Remembr2thngs81 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
The article says lack of winter sales, dealer inventory too high.

If so I'd think all previously ordered Challengers (mine ordered March 7) would be built, but I have no idea about how this works given parts availability and economy of scale in assembly line production.

I got a great price on my Red Eye wide body with all the options except sun roof and tech package - well under invoice here in the midwest. With orders down to the point of idling the plant soon right now might be a good time to negotiate hard to buy a Challenger.

I did my negotiating via emails to the 10 nearest dealerships - all within 70 miles - and I asked for wide body Scat Pack, Hellcat and Red Eye quotes. I'd say 8 responded right away. You have to be very specific about what options you want and about asking for their out-the-door price because they won't include the dollar amount of sales tax (or tell you what, exactly, is taxed so you can only figure out a ballpark yourself), and they won't tell you all the dollar value of "title and fees". I did discover that sales tax is charged based on the state in which you reside, not the state in which you buy a car. Joining this forum and being the beneficiary of many helpful responses to my novice Challenger wanna-be-owner questions, plus reading up on the Red Eye's various features, plus watching too many videos too many times (*grin* - I'm not sure I can do that they are fun!) helped me decide I'd go for the Red Eye. Once I decided on the model I had to go back to these dealerships with follow on emails and spell it out I wanted their bottom line price for the Red Eye - and not all dealerships wanted to continue the negotiation when I did that - but I did finally did get apples to apples offers from 6 dealerships. They were all competitive, I appreciated their offers and told them so and thanked the sales reps I was dealing with (even after I decided which dealership would get my business). All final offers were under invoice too - the dealerships either had some hidden incentives from FCA coming their way or they simply were willing to sell by getting into their holdback value. I was very pleased with the price I paid and am looking forward to a great relationship with the dealer I settled on. The bottom line for me was that these 2019 models are not commanding the kind of dealer markup they have in the past, which is good for us. My understanding is FCA will build as many SP's, HC's and Red Eye's as buyers want.

Best,

Finface

#3 ·
In a shutdown, they will just build right up to the day before like normal and then finish up the cars on the line, it would be unusual to leave half finished cars sitting. Hope yours makes it!

Dealer inventories just too high right now and they need a chance to move them.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

#4 ·
This is NOT good. I just ordered my 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body just yesterday on 3/26/19 at my local Dodge dealer. The dealership put in my order to Dodge at around 3PM on 3/26/19. Today the dealership got the VON (Vehicle Ordering Number) and the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) for my car from Dodge on their computer system. In less than 24 hours, "BOTH" the VON and the VIN number was generated. Do you think that this means that my Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body will be built "and" shipped "before" Dodge temporarily closes the Brampton plant for the first 2 weeks of April? Why were the VON and VIN numbers generated so quickly in less than 24 hours since I placed my order with the Dodge dealership?

#9 ·
They'll take the sale! Regardless of when they will build your car. So yea you got a Vin and a VON but … the car probably won't be built until the plant re-opens. Bummer that's for sure! Good luck.

#5 ·
That quick VIN is actually fairly normal but I don't think there is any way you're getting built before the shutdown on the 1st.

Brampton is closed on Sundays anyway so to be done in 3 days seems an impossibility but don't sweat it, you never know with production and they'll probably fastrack these sold orders when they get back.

And then it has to go the Upfitter so not as quick as it used to be, I'd be planning on mid-May for delivery.

Hang in there, it always worth it!

#6 ·
I'm hoping for end of April to beginning of May for delivery if the plant builds my Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body after the plant reopens after 3/14/19. Maybe if Dodge can have a D1 and a Build Date for my car by 3/29/19 or by 3/30/19 before they shut down, then I might get a better approximation as to when they will deliver the car. I live up here in New England. I'm about 527 miles away driving distance from Brampton from here.

#7 ·
Say that my car is built during the 3rd week of April between April 15 and 27. When do you think that I will receive it if it's build somewhere between these dates? I live up in the Northeast in New England in Massachusetts. I'm only 527 miles away from Brampton, Ontario, Canada where the Challenger plant is located. Do you think that I will get my car by the beginning of May (the first week or the beginning of the 2nd week of May) if Brampton builds my Challenger Scat pack Wide Body anytime between April 15 and 27? What do you think?

#8 ·
After it leaves Brampton it has to go the Upfitter in Michigan for wheels and tires then it will ship from there, mid-May is my best guess at this point but we don't know how many Widebodies will be hitting the Upfiiter at the same time, there could be another delay there. The Upfitter in the mix definitely complicates trying to predict a delivery date.

#10 ·
All the talk about the shutdown sent me into a tailspin. I contacted dodge about my RT WB order and they said it would not be impacted by the shutdown.

JB status installing special parts (or whatever she said)

Sounds like the cars in the later stage of production will get completed.

#12 ·
You're very lucky. I called Dodge Customer Service this afternoon and even though my Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body got its VON and VIN number and is in "D Status" right now, they couldn't find my VIN number on their system. They told me that they will ONLY be able to see everything once my car goes into "D1 Status". I'm not 100% sure, but I think that D1 Status is when Dodge establishes and gives a build date for a car.

#13 ·
Can the "D STATUS" change to "D1 STATUS" during the whole time that the Brampton Assembly Plant is closed and at least give the "Build Date" of my Challenger? In other words, when the plant is closed during April 1st to April 14th, can Dodge still give the build date electronically via computer to schedule the build date for the car even though the plant is not building any cars? I would think that Dodge can still electronically give build dates to Challengers that already have VIN (Vehicle Identification Numbers) assigned to them even though the plant will be closed. Aren't build dates given electronically via computer? In other words, the Brampton Assembly Plant doesn't need to be open and operational to give D1 Status to a Challenger because the D1 Status is given electronically without having to have the plant be in operation. Has the Brampton Assembly Plant ever done this before? Or is this not possible?

#15 ·
I just finished a text chat through the Mopar owners site. Very useful btw for anyone who has it I happen to be signed up already from when I had my 2015 Durango. You might be able to sign up even without owning a car yet not sure.

Either way, they offer a chat with them option and they are super quick and I've gotten a live agent at 9pm est and just now 630pm est on a Saturday so pretty cool.

My scat pack widebody order was put in on 3/19 and as of just now it's still in d status gathering parts so I'm pretty much doomed to have 2 extra weeks added to my wait time. Well I tried to plan the order to have the car no sooner than summer so the new england roads here can have all the salt from winter throughly washed away as this will be a fair weather vehicle only. And it looks like I'm definately looking at a mid may delivery at the earliest. So that's OK I guess. I really want the car but if it comes too early I'm garaging it until nice weather so that might be harder to do then to wait without it.

As soon as it comes in though I am having hood pins installed and sending right to local shop for vinyl hood wrap tints expel and ceramic coat before I drive anywhere else so I'm itching to get all that moving. Still worth the wait to get exactly what I want.

#16 · (Edited)
I put my order in on 3/26/19 for a 2019 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Wide Body too. I received my VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) and my VON (Vehicle Order Number) on the next day on 3/27/19. My Wide Body is in D Status right now too just like yours.

What makes you think that the delivery of your Wide Body will be happening the "earliest" at mid May just because the Brampton plant is going to be closed for the next 2 weeks until the 14th of April? I would think that even though the plant will be closed for 2 weeks that we should still be getting the build dates for our cars sometime between April 1st and April 14th before the plant reopens. I don't think that Dodge stops allocation of build dates for our Wide Body Scat Pack Challengers even though they are shut down for 2 weeks. I would think that Dodge will give us our D1 Status with a build date very soon and that our Wide Body Challengers will be built between the 3rd and 4th week of April when the Brampton plant reopens again. If this happens, we should be getting our cars between the 1st or second week of May at the latest.
Maybe other forum members who know more about this can also chime in on this regarding whether or not Dodge assigns a D1 Status with a build date even though the Brampton plant is closed for the next 2 weeks from April 1st to April 14th.

I just signed up on the Mopar website, but the live chat on it doesn't work at all. I try to click on the chat button, but when I point the arrow on the chat button, it doesn't change over to a finger pointer to allow me to click on it. The website's chat feature doesn't work. I don't know why? Is Dodge chat open only at certain hours and certain days? It's 6:32am EDT Sunday morning over here right now.
ALSO, when I enter my Wide Body VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) of my car on the Mopar website, it tells me that "It has a problem adding my vehicle and to try again." Why is my VIN number not recognized in the Dodge Mopar computer system yet if the Dodge dealership already obtained and gave me both the VIN and VON numbers already?

#17 ·
Your vin won't add because you technically don't own the car yet. It's not registered to you therfore cannot be verrified in uconnect. I am not sure why your chat isn't working I only tried twice from my phone both times it worked instantly. Worst case though you should be able to get updates from your dealer. I just haven't needed to i actually got my von and vin from dodge direct through chat not my dealer.

As for thr time frame I just figured if it's 8 to 12 weeks without a shutdown I'm assuming it will be mid may. Not sure how fast thr Brampton plant pumps out or ships cars to the states but back and 15 when I had my rt Durango built it came out of Detroit and still took 10 weeks with no shutdowns. What color is your scat pack?

#18 · (Edited)
I just got through to Mopar Live Chat and they told me that their live chat was down for a little while and that's why I couldn't get through to them. They checked the status of my Scat pack Wide Body and they told me that it was still in D Status. I asked them if they knew how long that it will take for the D Status to change to D1 Status with a build date and they were completely clueless about this. They didn't even know whether or not the Dodge plant in Brampton, Ontario, Canada allocates build dates to cars while the plant is closed. Totally clueless about this. These are the types of questions that are very important to us who order these cars and they need to know the answer to this simple question. I'm hoping that we both get a build date and D1 Status before April 14th before Dodge reopens its Brampton plant. If this occurs, then there's a greater chance that both of our Wide Body Scat packs will be built before or by the end of April. If that happens, then we will get our cars by the first or second week of May if the transportation situation to the dealer runs smoothly.

The color of my Scat Pack Wide Body is TorRed with the Black and Ruby Red seats and interior. I ordered mine with the black Scat Pack rear racing stripe that wraps around the back of the car. However, I did not order the sunroof, the front camera or the NAV. I didn't want a sunroof because I don't want to deal with leaks and creaking and flexing of the body while driving with that much available
le torque that this car has. Also, I live up here in the northeast where it's very cold with snow and rain for 6 months of the year, so I don't really need it. And I didn't want the front camera inside the lower grill spoiler because I found out that it always beeps when driving and it's very annoying. And I didn't order the NAV because I have a cell phone and use that for navigation. Plus I don't like the complexity of the NAV system and the privacy issues regarding the built in Apple connect and Android that it has on it. Especially when I have a passenger in the car together with me. But my Wide Body will have everything else in it that comes as standard equipment. That's plenty for me. I'm also leasing my car for 3 years/36,000 Miles, so it would defeat the purpose for me to spend extra money for a sunroof and for NAV. I will be driving my Scat pack Wide Body all year round both in the spring and summer as well as in the fall and winter time, so I don't care about it being a garage queen. I want to get a lot of use out of my car and enjoy it as my daily driver. And I don't care about driving it in the salt and snow up here. Especially when I will be returning it back to Dodge after 3 years. When that happens, I will lease another Challenger or by then maybe the new generation Charger depending on whether or not I like the new body style and its performance.

#19 ·
That's funny we are basically both having the exact same car built and we both live in the north east. I won't be daily driving mine though. I bought mine and this is more of a milestone thing for me. I've wanted a challenger since before they came back out in 08 and when they did I wanted a new one or old. Finally in a position now pushing 40 where I can afford to add this luxury to my life. I have 3 kids so my daily driver is a minivan lol.

But mine is also torred with black ruby red interior. I also opted for no nav. It has everything but also no tech package with adaptive cruise mostly bc mine is 6 speed manual and all you get for manual with that package is auto wipers and high beams for an extra 500 you can keep those things since I won't be taking it out in the rain much anyway and I think I can manage putting my brights on and off.

I did opt for the p zero summer tires bc like I said it will only be driven in good weather and you can't touch that price of 700 add on to buy those same tires after market.

I couldn't get the scat pack decal bc I opted for the new performance spoiler I like the way it looks and makes the car stand out as a new model year. But for some reason when they went to place the order if I picked thay spoiler I couldn't do the decal but it's all good bc when I get it and I have the hood wrapped ill also have the scat pack decal custom done in thr back I want mine to say 392 on the sides anyway in the middle of the stripe.

So yea some minor differences but for the most part same car being built likely around the same time going to the same region. I wonder withbthr slow sales currently how close they will be on the line to back to back what's the last six of your vin?

I am happy with my torred pick with all the options out there I don't see many torred or red in general on the road up our way often.

#22 ·
I couldn't get the scat pack decal bc I opted for the new performance spoiler I like the way it looks and makes the car stand out as a new model year. But for some reason when they went to place the order if I picked thay spoiler I couldn't do the decal
That decal is made especially for the standard spoiler, it's put on after the spoiler is installed and fits tight up against it. Guess the new spoiler is just different enough on the deck that they would have needed a new decal to look right and didn't think it was worth it.

#21 ·
I imagine if you want a current build on a lot your best time is now to get a good deal. The more dealers compete for your business and the more flexible you are with colors/options being a lot car the better deal you will get.

I had six dealers compete for my scat pack factory order and I still ended up about 3K under invoice.

#25 ·
Man sorry to hear about your charger that sucks but atleast you are getting into the challenger. I live in Connecticut and my scat pack is also a wide body and I so opted for no sunroof too. So basically the same car minus the transmission scat pack sticker and spoiler.

I had the same issue. On the dodge site it was no problem to add both the spoiler and the sticker but when the dealership was in the actual order mainframe linked right to thr factory when they tried selecting the spoiler the sticker shaded out and when selecting the sticker the spoiler shaded out so I figured I'd go for the spoiler bc it's easy enough to after market a custom decal

My last six are 638062.

#26 · (Edited)
Connecticut is not far from me. I always go down to Manchester, Connecticut. I live in southern Massachusetts not far from the Rhode Island border. I never knew that the Dodge build website and the dealership mainframe that's linked to the factory differs for the Scat Pack Bumblebee Stripe option for the Wide Body Scat Pack. I placed my Scat Pack Wide Body order at my dealer in on 3/26/19 which is exactly 1 week after you placed your order in on 3/19/19. I was lucky and I got my VIN Number and VON Number on 3/27/19 just one day after I placed my order at the dealer.

The last 6 digits of your VIN Number is 1,000 less than my Vin Number. Does this mean that your Wide Body will be built way before mine? Does the 1,000 difference that's in the VIN Numbers between both of our cars include only the Challenger Wide Body cars or does that 1,000 difference include a combination of all 6 cylinder GT Challengers, 8 cylinder R/T Challengers, regular R/T Scat Packs, Scat Pack Wide Bodies, Hellcats and Hellcat Red Eye Challengers? I wonder how many Challengers are built each day at the Brampton plant?

If our VIN Numbers are off by 1,000, does this 1,000 difference include only the Wide Body Scat pack or does it include the our Wide Bodies plus all of the other Challenger models that are made? It would be interesting to know this. And I'm also wondering whether that 1,000 difference in our VIN Numbers also include all the Chargers and all the Chrysler 300's that already have VIN Numbers too? Does anybody in here who knows about the Brampton factory production process know the answer to this?

#30 · (Edited)
I just got off the live chat with Dodge Customer Service and asked them about whether or not Dodge can assign D1 Status on a Challenger while the Brampton Plant is temporarily closed for the next 2 weeks. The Dodge customer service agent told me that there is no way that Dodge is able to assign D1 Status to my car while they are temporarily shut down and that my D1 Status will occur only after the Brampton plant reopens on April 15th. The salesman told me the opposite today that Dodge can assign a D1 Status together with a build date before they reopen even though the Brampton plant will be temporarily closed for 2 weeks.
Do you think that Dodge customer service gave me the correct information and that they are right about this or do you think my dealer was right? Who should I believe? Also, does anybody in here know the answer to this? It would really be nice to get the D1 Status with the build date during the temporary shutdown of the plant before the plant reopens on April 15th. However, I have a feeling that this isn't going to happen.

#35 ·
Again, in before political discussion

Sam, I know you are anxious, but really, you'd be better off to just go with the flow. No one really knows the answer. I suspect the Dodge agent doesn't even know. I sincerely doubt there will be any status changes during the shutdown. In fact, if I were you, I'd count on it. If by some wonder stroke it does happen, you'll be pleasantly surprised :)

A Guy

#32 ·
I've been thinking the same thing in my mind. The engines in the Scat Pack Wide Body are all manufactured in Mexico. We are screwed if all commerce is shut down on the Mexican/American border. If this happens, our cars will delay getting built. I hope that this never happens because if it does happen, I'm going to be very disappointed.

#33 · (Edited)
Does anybody in here know whether or not Dodge gives out D1 Status together with Build Dates to the Dodge Challenger during the entire time span while the Brampton plant is closed during the next 2 weeks from April 1st to April 14th?
In other words, can the D1 Status and Build Date for a Challenger order be determined electronically and automatically updated from D Status to D1 Status in Dodge's computer system while the Brampton plant is temporarily closed? Or does the plant have to be open and fully functional with production occurring in order for Dodge to update the status from D to D1 for a car order? How does this process work at the Brampton plant when the plant is temporarily shut down like it is right now? Does anybody have the inside scoop on this?

#37 ·
We had the best insider ever but FCA shut them all down. The SRT people on the phone are not gonna know, maybe the regional manager over your dealership will but all we can do here is to try and predict what they will do from past events but this one is hard because they might have already have the new D1 cars assigned after they get back but yours didn't make the cut. It might quickly change early though but we're just guessing. You do have a sold order and the POC with your name on it right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.