Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums (https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/)
-   General Challenger Discussion (https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   Brampton Shutdown for 2 Weeks (https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/brampton-shutdown-2-weeks-668753/)

fyrdude 03-27-2019 11:35 AM

Brampton Shutdown for 2 Weeks

https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

Saw this on Google News today.... two weeks in April to let supply catch up with demand.

Finface 03-27-2019 01:14 PM

The article says lack of winter sales, dealer inventory too high.

If so I'd think all previously ordered Challengers (mine ordered March 7) would be built, but I have no idea about how this works given parts availability and economy of scale in assembly line production.

I got a great price on my Red Eye wide body with all the options except sun roof and tech package - well under invoice here in the midwest. With orders down to the point of idling the plant soon right now might be a good time to negotiate hard to buy a Challenger.

I did my negotiating via emails to the 10 nearest dealerships - all within 70 miles - and I asked for wide body Scat Pack, Hellcat and Red Eye quotes. I'd say 8 responded right away. You have to be very specific about what options you want and about asking for their out-the-door price because they won't include the dollar amount of sales tax (or tell you what, exactly, is taxed so you can only figure out a ballpark yourself), and they won't tell you all the dollar value of "title and fees". I did discover that sales tax is charged based on the state in which you reside, not the state in which you buy a car. Joining this forum and being the beneficiary of many helpful responses to my novice Challenger wanna-be-owner questions, plus reading up on the Red Eye's various features, plus watching too many videos too many times (*grin* - I'm not sure I can do that they are fun!) helped me decide I'd go for the Red Eye. Once I decided on the model I had to go back to these dealerships with follow on emails and spell it out I wanted their bottom line price for the Red Eye - and not all dealerships wanted to continue the negotiation when I did that - but I did finally did get apples to apples offers from 6 dealerships. They were all competitive, I appreciated their offers and told them so and thanked the sales reps I was dealing with (even after I decided which dealership would get my business). All final offers were under invoice too - the dealerships either had some hidden incentives from FCA coming their way or they simply were willing to sell by getting into their holdback value. I was very pleased with the price I paid and am looking forward to a great relationship with the dealer I settled on. The bottom line for me was that these 2019 models are not commanding the kind of dealer markup they have in the past, which is good for us. My understanding is FCA will build as many SP's, HC's and Red Eye's as buyers want.

Best,

Finface

Slidd 03-27-2019 02:15 PM

In a shutdown, they will just build right up to the day before like normal and then finish up the cars on the line, it would be unusual to leave half finished cars sitting. Hope yours makes it!

Dealer inventories just too high right now and they need a chance to move them.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Scatpacksam 03-27-2019 07:07 PM

This is NOT good. I just ordered my 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body just yesterday on 3/26/19 at my local Dodge dealer. The dealership put in my order to Dodge at around 3PM on 3/26/19. Today the dealership got the VON (Vehicle Ordering Number) and the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) for my car from Dodge on their computer system. In less than 24 hours, "BOTH" the VON and the VIN number was generated. Do you think that this means that my Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body will be built "and" shipped "before" Dodge temporarily closes the Brampton plant for the first 2 weeks of April? Why were the VON and VIN numbers generated so quickly in less than 24 hours since I placed my order with the Dodge dealership?

Slidd 03-27-2019 08:06 PM

That quick VIN is actually fairly normal but I don't think there is any way you're getting built before the shutdown on the 1st.

Brampton is closed on Sundays anyway so to be done in 3 days seems an impossibility but don't sweat it, you never know with production and they'll probably fastrack these sold orders when they get back.

And then it has to go the Upfitter so not as quick as it used to be, I'd be planning on mid-May for delivery.

Hang in there, it always worth it!

Scatpacksam 03-27-2019 09:31 PM

I'm hoping for end of April to beginning of May for delivery if the plant builds my Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body after the plant reopens after 3/14/19. Maybe if Dodge can have a D1 and a Build Date for my car by 3/29/19 or by 3/30/19 before they shut down, then I might get a better approximation as to when they will deliver the car. I live up here in New England. I'm about 527 miles away driving distance from Brampton from here.

Scatpacksam 03-27-2019 10:26 PM

Say that my car is built during the 3rd week of April between April 15 and 27. When do you think that I will receive it if it's build somewhere between these dates? I live up in the Northeast in New England in Massachusetts. I'm only 527 miles away from Brampton, Ontario, Canada where the Challenger plant is located. Do you think that I will get my car by the beginning of May (the first week or the beginning of the 2nd week of May) if Brampton builds my Challenger Scat pack Wide Body anytime between April 15 and 27? What do you think?

Slidd 03-28-2019 05:26 AM

After it leaves Brampton it has to go the Upfitter in Michigan for wheels and tires then it will ship from there, mid-May is my best guess at this point but we don't know how many Widebodies will be hitting the Upfiiter at the same time, there could be another delay there. The Upfitter in the mix definitely complicates trying to predict a delivery date.

Clevetown 03-28-2019 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatpacksam (Post 8450201)
This is NOT good. I just ordered my 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body just yesterday on 3/26/19 at my local Dodge dealer. The dealership put in my order to Dodge at around 3PM on 3/26/19. Today the dealership got the VON (Vehicle Ordering Number) and the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) for my car from Dodge on their computer system. In less than 24 hours, "BOTH" the VON and the VIN number was generated. Do you think that this means that my Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body will be built "and" shipped "before" Dodge temporarily closes the Brampton plant for the first 2 weeks of April? Why were the VON and VIN numbers generated so quickly in less than 24 hours since I placed my order with the Dodge dealership?

They'll take the sale! Regardless of when they will build your car. So yea you got a Vin and a VON but … the car probably won't be built until the plant re-opens. Bummer that's for sure! Good luck.

olscool 03-28-2019 01:11 PM

All the talk about the shutdown sent me into a tailspin. I contacted dodge about my RT WB order and they said it would not be impacted by the shutdown.

JB status installing special parts (or whatever she said)

Sounds like the cars in the later stage of production will get completed.