Can't decide - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Can't decide

I keep going back and forth in trying to make a decision in which model to get. I do know I want a 392 auto with leather and NAV in red, green or orange and would prefer the red interior. I wanted to be right around 40k, but that looks to be too optimistic. I found several very low mileage SRT's, but after looking at KBB they look to be a tad overpriced. My first pick is a 18 torred SRT (44k) with red interior, but its on the coast and they want 500 to transfer it to Ohio and I wouldn't get the sales tax savings on a used vehicle here. They also have a 17 torred SRT (43k) at the Ohio store, but its a little older than I wanted to go and has the black interior. There is also a 18 red SRT in IN with black interior and they are asking 44k. Its at a regular dealer so I may be able to haggle the price a bit and also save on the trade in taxes. Also in IN I found an almost loaded new shaker (minus NAV) in my favorite color octane with the red interior for 43.8k (MSRP over 49k). I should get slightly lower interest rate on a new one, but it doesn't have the active suspension and some of the other SRT goodies obviously and it has the shaker graphics I'm not sure I like. The last option is to order a 19 just how I want and either load up a SP with all the options or get a shaker minus a few of them. The problem with going this route is I may not get one with as many discounts as one on the lot already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:47 AM

Garage
If you don't know what you want, and I've seen you debate this for a YEAR on the other forum, don't buy a depreciating asset.

Nobody can tell you what you want, what your money looks like, etc, but if you have technical questions...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Hellcat
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to landoawd For This Useful Post:
BilletTA392 (05-21-2019), Wizard of Iz (05-21-2019)
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Not sure, but it sounds like the first couple you were talking about may have been at Carmax. I realize that they get top dollar for their cars, but my 2012 R/T is the forth vehicle I have bought from them and all have been exceptional used cars. I highly recommend Carmax as a source for used vehicles. I'm sure others will disagree (they always do), but my experience has always been good and with their website, you pretty much walk through the door knowing what you want. No annoying salespeople, just people ready and willing to help you purchase the car you've already decided to buy. It's also a great place to just go take a car for test drive if you have a couple of models in mind. I did that when shopping for my last purchase. I hadn't even considered a Challenger, I was thinking Mustang or Camaro. I test drove a Mustang and decided that they were not for me. The salesman suggested a Charger or Challenger and I laughed that I only wished I could afford one of those. Then I went home and got back on their site and found my Challenger at the right price and perfectly optioned. In the little over 2yrs that I've owned it I've put almost 40K miles on it and still can't stop grinning. It's been trouble free and tons of fun. Good luck in your search.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2012 R/T Classic 6M; STP; Barton Shifter; CDV delete; Skip Shift Eliminator; Blastin' Bobs' axle back Magnaflow resonators; DiabloSport i2 tuner w/Hemifever custom tune; Mopar hood pins; Petty's Garage front strut brace; Tungsten Metallic Clear Coat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pauljw For This Useful Post:
PaVaSteeler (05-21-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:39 AM

For what its worth - you may be able to get something near 40k, new. For instance, a 19' Scat Pack MSRP around $39k. If you add a few options, you'll get to ~$50k. I don't know if you work anywhere with discounts, but with me - I had an entry level discount of bringing the price 1% below invoice. This discount is on behalf of my company and is paid to the dealer from corporate FCA - so you can haggle a bit further. I was able to bring it another ~$1.5k under this price.

For reference - my build '19 Scat Pack Widebody was $56,000 (not including taxes). I signed for $48,500 (not including taxes) at time of ordering. That's 13.4% under the MSRP price.

In your case, if you were to load one with options up to around ~$50k, and you were able to haggle the price down - I would bet you could get around $43-44.5k.

What I did was find two dealerships in the same area that compete with one another. I leveraged them against each other for their quotes and got the best price this way. Ultimately I went with the dealership that treated me the best and gave me the best price.
post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauljw View Post
Not sure, but it sounds like the first couple you were talking about may have been at Carmax. I realize that they get top dollar for their cars, but my 2012 R/T is the forth vehicle I have bought from them and all have been exceptional used cars. I highly recommend Carmax as a source for used vehicles. I'm sure others will disagree (they always do), but my experience has always been good and with their website, you pretty much walk through the door knowing what you want. No annoying salespeople, just people ready and willing to help you purchase the car you've already decided to buy. It's also a great place to just go take a car for test drive if you have a couple of models in mind. I did that when shopping for my last purchase. I hadn't even considered a Challenger, I was thinking Mustang or Camaro. I test drove a Mustang and decided that they were not for me. The salesman suggested a Charger or Challenger and I laughed that I only wished I could afford one of those. Then I went home and got back on their site and found my Challenger at the right price and perfectly optioned. In the little over 2yrs that I've owned it I've put almost 40K miles on it and still can't stop grinning. It's been trouble free and tons of fun. Good luck in your search.
I absolutely agree. I never used CarMax before, but I found one my Wife wanted there. I pre-qualified for a loan on the website. Salesman actually transferred the car to a closer store without me even asking. Walked in, test drove it, sat down to go over the numbers and done. Longest part was the signing. Most enjoyable car buying experience I have ever had. We both absolutely love our '14 R/T and recommend CarMax.
post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the advice acid. That new 19 Shaker is already in that ballpark. List price is 49.3k with sale price of 44.8 and he already said in the email they would also give me a 1k true price discount, so that makes it 43.8k before any haggling and considering my trade. Its the right colors and loaded with about everything I would want, except if I were building it, I might go without the shaker graphics and add NAV. But it does have the stock wheels in which I would at least like some wider tires in the back and doesn't have the adaptive suspension, top level audio, steering wheel, better wheels and SRT badges the used SRT has. I just wish those SRT were not at carmax so you could haggle a bit as the black book value is a couple grand less than what they are asking. Like I said, there is one in IN about 3 hours away that may be worth looking at, but wish it had the red interior and I would like it to be 2-3 grand less. You may be right, if I built a standard SP without the shaker, I might be a lot closer to 40k range. Another issue is my stupid schedule as I'm usually sleeping during the day so its hard to find the time for a longer road trip to look at cars. I should have left early this morning and looked at those two IN dealerships, but with the weather and flooding decided to wait for a better day.
post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medsport View Post
I keep going back and forth in trying to make a decision in which model to get. I do know I want a 392 auto with leather and NAV in red, green or orange and would prefer the red interior. I wanted to be right around 40k, but that looks to be too optimistic. I found several very low mileage SRT's, but after looking at KBB they look to be a tad overpriced. My first pick is a 18 torred SRT (44k) with red interior, but its on the coast and they want 500 to transfer it to Ohio and I wouldn't get the sales tax savings on a used vehicle here. They also have a 17 torred SRT (43k) at the Ohio store, but its a little older than I wanted to go and has the black interior. There is also a 18 red SRT in IN with black interior and they are asking 44k. Its at a regular dealer so I may be able to haggle the price a bit and also save on the trade in taxes. Also in IN I found an almost loaded new shaker (minus NAV) in my favorite color octane with the red interior for 43.8k (MSRP over 49k). I should get slightly lower interest rate on a new one, but it doesn't have the active suspension and some of the other SRT goodies obviously and it has the shaker graphics I'm not sure I like. The last option is to order a 19 just how I want and either load up a SP with all the options or get a shaker minus a few of them. The problem with going this route is I may not get one with as many discounts as one on the lot already.

Plenty of room to haggle. My 2019 SP MSRP was $46,932 with Nav, Tech, Convenience and the plus package. $2,250 rebate + haggling got it to about 41K before taxes, 42ish with taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:32 PM

if you dont know what you want or willing to settle for without regret..wait, save up a lil more and order it.
Otherwise, there will always be a lingering doubt if you actually got all the car you desired, and if you had only held out a lil longer or done this or that.
These cars are an investment - in ourselves, few if any are "required for daily transportation duties" and there is nothing like the 1st time - or the 101st time that you drive a new car, made to order just the way you wanted, that has never been owned by anyone else!
just my $0.02
good luck with whatever route you take

2015 Mods:
Hellcat Intake w/ AEM hi-flow filter.
GenPartsCo-USA D.I.P.S. air catcher screens.
Axis Model II's.
Firestone Indy 275/40/20
Rolling Thunder Reso delete.
Exteremevinyls side marker tints.
GPC Trunk Pull Handle.
Spare/Jack/Foam Delete.
GPC Phantoms.
Mopar O.E. Black Fuel Door.
Hellcat OE. ABS Cover.
Rear Seat Delete.
2014 Dodge Viper Seats.
Custom Fire Extinguisher & Mount.
The Following User Says Thank You to hemi4us For This Useful Post:
Cominfromcamaro (05-21-2019)
post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi4us View Post
if you dont know what you want or willing to settle for without regret..wait, save up a lil more and order it.
Otherwise, there will always be a lingering doubt if you actually got all the car you desired, and if you had only held out a lil longer or done this or that.
These cars are an investment - in ourselves, few if any are "required for daily transportation duties" and there is nothing like the 1st time - or the 101st time that you drive a new car, made to order just the way you wanted, that has never been owned by anyone else!
just my $0.02
good luck with whatever route you take

Absolutely!! I made this mistake when i was 28 and I bought a 2013 V6 camaro. I adored the car for the style, it was my dream come true after they came back but deep down I always wanted a V8 and all the stripes and interior options. I eventually added stripes and other little mods and on a whim one day i traded it in for a 2017 RS Camaro. Absolutely beautiful car, had all the style but none of the interior upgrades again. I loved that car for 2 years, more than any before it. I said at the time the car had everything I wanted with the special headlights and all. Back in 2014 I promised myself I’d get a ZL1 one day and I eventually got raises and the idea of paying for it became realistic. So 6 months ago here I am again looking at cars. I eventually realized the ZL1 was just way too much car and unrealistic. So I started looking and I spent 6 months driving, reading, obsessing and saving. Until about a month ago I was looking at Challengers online after I had ruled out the Mustang. It hit me, I wanted a B5 blue Challenger and I knew exactly what options I wanted and nothing more. Next day I told the dealer and they actually found it and I bought it 3 days later. The car had 1 option I could care less about, the technology package. Other than that it’s absolutely perfect and everything i dreamed of. I’m not going to lie I screamed and cheered on my way home when I picked it up. It’s been 2 weeks now and I can’t get over how perfect it is. The feeling of getting EXACTLY what you want with zero restraints is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cominfromcamaro For This Useful Post:
PaVaSteeler (05-22-2019), Wizard of Iz (05-22-2019)
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:28 PM

Garage
Buy what you want.

Cars aren’t investments. They are a luxury item.

If you can afford what you want, get it. If you can’t then wait and save until you can.

Good luck!

11 TO SRT8 — Corsa, 295 Nittos in the rear
16 Ram 3500- RCLB Cummins- G56— DD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode