Can you learn how to drive manual with Challenger? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Can you learn how to drive manual with Challenger?

I never owned a manual car. I have read how to drive one but don't have any hands on experience. Can someone like me become proficient with stick in a challenger?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:36 PM

Garage
Yep. Just be patient, find an empty parking lot or back road somewhere, start out slow and practice stopping and taking off. It's as good to learn on as anything, especially if it's what you're gonna be driving.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

// 2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 392, TR-6060, Billet Silver, SPAG
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:49 PM

I drove my Kawasaki 1st ZX-10R back in 04 then a Ford single cab if you can learn you should be good. I learned to drive my bike the first night I got it, but it was a learning experience

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:34 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,893 Times in 2,937 Posts
Garage
I'd think so, as mentioned, a flat empty parking lot. Light on the throttle until you get a handle on it. You WILL kill the car releasing the clutch But you'd do that in a 4 banger as well. It's part of learning to drive a clutch. You'd be surprised how much easier it is to learn on flat ground. You can graduate to hills after.

https://www.stickshiftdrivingacademy.com/

A Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 05:28 AM

Can you learn how to drive manual with Challenger?

I did.....actually on my first test drive lol.

The challenger has a heavy clutch but it talks back very well to the driver. It was the easiest stick shift car i had driven, just get rdy for ur left leg to turn into a cannon

Last edited by trippytro; 06-15-2019 at 06:52 AM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:52 AM

yes, you'll be fine, today's manual transmission are so easy to drive. as said, have patience and expect to be rough at first

2017 granite pearl coat SRT Challenger, Barton shifter with Lou's short stick and Speed Dawg knob, UPR catch can, hellcat lower air box, Eibach Pro Kit springs, MRR M392 wheels w 275/40 and 315/35 Nitto G2's
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:37 AM
Premium Member

I was fine I thought. It was still early in my learn. Got to an uphill stopsign with a car behind me, I was driving an AMC Hornet with 3 on the tree. I'll never forget that stressful take off/ stall situation. Does the 6speed have a hill holder? I don't know myself I have the A8. I know the Challenger has lots more torque to make those situations easier though.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:45 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Thanked 1,047 Times in 872 Posts
Learning how to drive stick on a challenger has advantages. For one, the clutch pedal travel is very smooth and the engagement location is easy to find. I have driven cars where the clutch was cable driven and engagement would not start until you almost released the pedal (basically the cable was stretched and needed adjustment). Also, there is so much torque from the 5.7 and 6.4 that you can pretty much engage the clutch with no application of throttle and the car will begin to roll without stalling. And lastly, there is a hill start assist feature that can be activated that keeps the brakes applied while the car is at an angle. So don't have to worry about the car rolling back while you let off the off the brake when starting from a stop going uphill.

2015 Challenger RT+ M6 (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger Man View Post
I never owned a manual car. I have read how to drive one but don't have any hands on experience. Can someone like me become proficient with stick in a challenger?

Don't see why not. Generally large engine cars are easier to drive as they have loads of torque.

You might explore a driving school that offers participants the ability to learn to drive in a manual transmission equipped car.

You learn driving some car other than your own and you receive expert guidance/instruction while doing so. If you learn on your own you might develop bad habits that could be hard to unlearn.

And you reduce the risk that in your learning to drive a stick you make some kind of mistake that could end up damaging your new Challenger.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:48 AM

Garage
I learned the hard way. Personally I now buy all automatics but I can drive stick if needed. A friend at college wanted me to take her car to the frat house. She never mentioned it was parked on a steep hill and it was a manual. She also didn't tell me it would pop out of gear under a load. After bumping into the car down hill a few times, I just rested the car on the one below and held the shifter while I revved the engine and engaged the clutch enough to finally get out of the parking spot. I've never driven another car since with this situation, but newer manuals are much more forgiving to learn. I just don't like holding in the clutch while sitting at stop lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode