Be careful! - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Be careful!

I know all of us love speed and such, but remember to be really careful - especially if you like going fast. ALWAYS CHECK YOUR TIRES!

Just watch a couple clips of cars dong just 85 mph and blowing out a tire, not good. Now think of it at 100, 120 etc... Your in for perhaps the fight of your life not to mention the cars.

2015 Scatpack 392 M6
Black/black
Stainless Works LT Headers
High flow cats
Resonator delete
274 Comp Cam with vvt limiter
Arrington 84 mm throttle body
Barton short throw shifter
Unlocked PCM
Diablo Sport Tuner
HHP Tune
Mopar CAI
Mopar front/rear strut tower braces
Speedlogix SS eliminator
Black lug nuts with Hellcat center caps
Mopar Performance Lowering Springs
Hellcat ram air intake
Hellcat red start button
275 Nittos
Heated/Ventilated seats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Clevetown For This Useful Post:
DOM71 (04-07-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:42 PM

So true but what's sad, the majority of ppl on the road don't even check there tires.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 05:25 PM

Man, not much warning when those tires go! You're basically just in for the ride it seems... Scary stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
Man, not much warning when those tires go! You're basically just in for the ride it seems... Scary stuff.
Big time! No warning and bam! Your in a really dangerous situation. Maybe this will prevent someone from making a huge mistake and going like 140 on the highway. It just isn't worth it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:10 AM

Thanked 3,754 Times in 2,823 Posts
When the tire blows stay off the brakes!!! The first two looked like they could have been saved if handled right, basically do nothing except get off the throttle and let the car slow down on its own. But yeah, scary stuff and I've slowed down a little in my older age.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

2016 SRT 392 - Billet Silver, Black Stripes, A8, Tech Group ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:13 AM

I think it's just human nature to hit the brakes when you hear that loud sound - but I agree, would be better off if you didn't. Now if we can just remember that if/when the "oh crap!" moment comes... Hopefully, it never comes though!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:56 AM

We really dodged a bullet a few weeks ago. Took my Wife's 328XI on an hour long trip. I don't drive it much and it sits a lot. It has the "dumb" tire pressure sensors many cars do and the warning light was on. We were running late so we drove it about an hour to a party and stayed for a few hours. That was mistake number one, but those dumb warnings occur so often it is human nature not to take them all that seriously right? When we got out I remembered about the tire pressure warning and I looked at the tires. The low profile winter tires looked fine. Mistake number two was not having even a cheap tire gauge in the car. Anyways we made it about halfway home and it was clear that a tire was having issues. I pulled over into a rest area and examined all the tires. The right front was hot to the touch. I had a cheap 12v air pump so I aired up the tire. Mistake number three was buying one of those without a pressure gauge. After about ten minutes I felt like the best bet was to give up on my weak ass pump, drive to the next exit and hit a gas station. I had checked the tire for a foreign object and I didn't find anything. Soon after we left the rest area it was clear that the tire was just shot. It was vibrating badly on the highway, even at only 40mph. It was a mere half mile to the ramp so we got off and drove about another half mile to a gas station where I changed the tire. As you can see...the sidewall...which I had examined only minutes before...is gone. It turned out that my pothole loving Wife had a badly bent front strut that was invisible to a visual examination. There was no sign of rubbing. I did do some low speed turning at the gas station which may have caused some of it. But it is scary how fast the tire when to hell at less than 60mph. It also proved to me that it is nearly impossible to judge air levels in low profile tires, especially snow tires. Luckily the rim survived and I actually had a spare snow tire...I had replaced a pair and kept the best of the two just in case...my Wife has quite a track record!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2925.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	943159  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode