Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Challenger Hellcat Tries to Outrun Cops @ 130+ MPH!

6K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  Schnitzengruben 
#1 ·
It's never a good idea to drive Drunk with No insurance, on the shoulder at 130+ MPH with Cops on your Azz. :soapbox:

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/speede...30-mph-and-rolls-his-dodge-challenger-hellcat

Speeder runs from cops at 130 mph and rolls his Dodge Challenger Hellcat

Driving on the shoulder is always bad, especially when you do it at 130 mph.

A Colorado man was arrested Tuesday night after leading police on a high-speed chase on I-70 in his Dodge Challenger Hellcat muscle car.

Police had an eye out for him after receiving reports of a reckless driver on the highway, and one spotted him heading westbound in heavy traffic near Edwards, according to KMGH.

When the officer tried to pull him over, the driver, Rafael Cotlear, accelerated to at least 130 mph and passed cars on the shoulder to get away. :surprise:

The pursuit was called off for safety reasons, but an off-duty officer soon called in the news that the car had rolled off the road across the median and into the eastbound lanes.

Traffic was stopped for about an hour as emergency crews worked on the scene, and Cotlear was brought to a hospital with minor injuries before being taken into custody and booked on a DUI charge, along with reckless driving, reckless endangerment, exhibition of speed, damage to a highway structure and no proof of insurance.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Shows to go ya, money and brains aren't necessarily bedmates...

#6 ·
Yup! and also shows that the Challenger can sure take a high speed rolling crash pretty well from the looks of the cabin...

#5 ·
When I saw the article on a news site this morning, I thought about how they pointed out the specific model of car in the headline and within the article.
There's hundreds of car chases and hundreds of DUI related car crashes and the make/model of the vehicle isn't usually mentioned.

Apparently they consider the Challenger Hellcat to be a whole different, special thing!

And, they're right!

#11 ·
..and when a local cop U-turns and follows you for absolutely no reason..we can all thank this clown, and the 2 dozen other idiots just like him that ended u-p like this or worse. giving the rest of us a bad rep.

Reactions: pdx.challenger
#12 ·
It's never a good idea to drive Drunk with No insurance, on the shoulder at 130+ MPH with Cops on your Azz. :soapbox:

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/speede...30-mph-and-rolls-his-dodge-challenger-hellcat

Speeder runs from cops at 130 mph and rolls his Dodge Challenger Hellcat

Driving on the shoulder is always bad, especially when you do it at 130 mph.

A Colorado man was arrested Tuesday night after leading police on a high-speed chase on I-70 in his Dodge Challenger Hellcat muscle car.

Police had an eye out for him after receiving reports of a reckless driver on the highway, and one spotted him heading westbound in heavy traffic near Edwards, according to KMGH.

When the officer tried to pull him over, the driver, Rafael Cotlear, accelerated to at least 130 mph and passed cars on the shoulder to get away. :surprise:

The pursuit was called off for safety reasons, but an off-duty officer soon called in the news that the car had rolled off the road across the median and into the eastbound lanes.

Traffic was stopped for about an hour as emergency crews worked on the scene, and Cotlear was brought to a hospital with minor injuries before being taken into custody and booked on a DUI charge, along with reckless driving, reckless endangerment, exhibition of speed, damage to a highway structure and no proof of insurance.

Absolute ****ing idiot.

The only tragedy here is that the car is wrecked and he didn't fly through a window and ate ****.

#13 ·
They make a big deal about it being a Challenger Hellcat, but hell, I can do 130mph in my V6 Impala on the highway if I wanted to. A LOT of modern cars can go that fast - it's not like it being a Hellcat is the main reason he was doing 130mph - the main reason is that he was an idiot - but they like to throw the Challenger under the bus instead, like it was the main reason...

#14 ·
My 5.7 hemi Javelin will only do 108mph since it thinks it's still installed in a Dodge Ram truck but it takes a lot of stupid to try to outrun the cops while drunk. I wonder is any of the guys I watch on YouTube will pick that one up and attempt a rebuild. The motor probably survived and would be a good swap candidate for another body.

#15 ·
Honestly, it takes a lot of stupid to try and outrun the cops period - drunk or not. They have such an advantage that it's very rare to get away - and even if you do get away, they usually have your license plate number and catch up with you eventually. Nowdays, they even have those little "sticky foam tracking missles" that shoot out of the front of the cop car and stick to your car, which have tracking devices in them - saw those on LivePD a few times now. Almost guaranteed that they will find you with those - unless it's a stolen car and you just bail somewhere... Not to mention that most chases end up with the person crashing becuase they don't know how to handle a car properly at high speeds. Just not worth it.

#17 ·
Many will disagree with me; but, 130 mph on a barren stretch of straight interstate isn't the worst thing in the world. But, on the shoulder in heavy traffic while being pursued by the law is worst than stupid. While he was in the hospital, they should have performed a lobotomy and stuffed some brains in his cranium. He is a fine example why certain driving offenses should result in a lifetime driving ban.

#21 ·
OUCH! That's just not right. Good luck, hope you find a better ins. co.

#23 ·
I was with Nationwide for over 20 years. My only claim was getting 2 tires slashed. I switched to Liberty and was saving over $400 a year off what I was paying Nationwide.

Then, I noticed my renewals inching up each year. I switched to AAA this time, saving me another $300 a year. I'm not calling out any insurance company, but I think they will all figure you will be lazy and not compare rates with other insurance companies. Thus more money they can extract from your wallet.

#26 ·
My wife works with a guy who's friend " had " a Hellcat. He got so many tickets that the wife made him sell it because their insurance went through the roof. He now drives a 4 banger econo ride. I drive my Hemi Javelin more aggressively than my new widebody Scat Pack since I still need to get used to the new ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.