Challenger ousts the Camaro - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 03:26 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chevy needs a Chevelle and Ford needs a Torino. Not everyone wants a small cramped car just because they want a coupe.

2016 SPS
2017 GT
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Swede For This Useful Post:
ChallengerR/TFan (04-28-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 07:31 PM

The Camaro has been but ugly since it came out in 2010, and has continued to get uglier. Even with the 2015 refresh the Mustang looks better but still..at the end of the day...the Challenger always has been the best looking of the bunch..and now the Challenger line-up is so vast compared to the others it's incredible...V6, 5.7, 6.4, Demon, Red-eye...Hellcat...the Widebody's. No wonder Dodge has kept the same basic chassis and body for all these years, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Living my life....one quarter mile at a time
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshane72 View Post
The Camaro has been but ugly since it came out in 2010, and has continued to get uglier. Even with the 2015 refresh the Mustang looks better but still..at the end of the day...the Challenger always has been the best looking of the bunch..and now the Challenger line-up is so vast compared to the others it's incredible...V6, 5.7, 6.4, Demon, Red-eye...Hellcat...the Widebody's. No wonder Dodge has kept the same basic chassis and body for all these years, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I agree to a lot of what you said but i think it was good looking for the 16'-18' years. The 19' i did not like at all for a refresh they should have done very little rather then going all out to a darker side of things. After getting into a basic Challenger R/T rental for a week i changed my whole outlook on the Challenger all in all. I had both the Camaro and SP in my driveway for about a month till i traded back in the Camaro and honestly its like having a small sports coupe compared to a real feel old school muscle car for sure. I am happy to now be behind the wheel of my Challenger and have 0 regrets on my decision. Keep doing your thing Dodge!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20190306_192305.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	944499  

2019 Challenger 392 Shaker
The Following User Says Thank You to keon718nyc For This Useful Post:
moparjim71 (05-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 08:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keon718nyc View Post
I agree to a lot of what you said but i think it was good looking for the 16'-18' years. The 19' i did not like at all for a refresh they should have done very little rather then going all out to a darker side of things. After getting into a basic Challenger R/T rental for a week i changed my whole outlook on the Challenger all in all. I had both the Camaro and SP in my driveway for about a month till i traded back in the Camaro and honestly its like having a small sports coupe compared to a real feel old school muscle car for sure. I am happy to now be behind the wheel of my Challenger and have 0 regrets on my decision. Keep doing your thing Dodge!!!
Your picture makes the Challenger look way smaller than the Camaro. Perspective I would guess.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Swede View Post
Chevy needs a Chevelle and Ford needs a Torino. Not everyone wants a small cramped car just because they want a coupe.
Let's hope Chevy doesn't ever decide to clone Challenger's success strategy and produce a modern 69 or 70 SS Chevelle clone. They were seriously popular muscle cars in their heyday, and in my opinion, would sell like hotcakes and potentially put a dent in Challenger sales. We could find ourselves losing some bragging rights concerning sales numbers.
But not to worry. I doubt that we'll ever see a retro Torino for the same basic reason that another Chenille is doubtful. Manufacturers are dumping coupes and 4-doors for SUV's and pickups. We've talked about this on the forum. The writing's on the wall, and every manufacturer wants to produce vehicles that make them the biggest profits.

Last edited by garyahouse; 04-27-2019 at 11:10 PM.
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,558 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyahouse View Post
Let's hope Chevy doesn't ever decide to clone Challenger's success strategy and produce a modern 69 or 70 SS Chevelle clone. They were seriously popular muscle cars in their heyday, and in my opinion, would sell like hotcakes and potentially put a dent in Challenger sales. We could find ourselves losing some bragging rights concerning sales numbers.
But not to worry. I doubt that we'll ever see a retro Torino for the same basic reason that another Chevelle is doubtful. Manufacturers are dumping coupes and 4-doors for SUV's and pickups. We've talked about this on the forum. The writing's on the wall, and every manufacturer wants to produce vehicles that make them the biggest profits.
GM is so far off track on their model lineup. What we'll end up with are blobby shaped Buicks (since China can't seem to get enough of them...) and they're killing off most of the models and favoring crossovers.

Given the styling trends, about their only hope is restyling the trucks and not messing things up with the Corvette

They'll probably kill off the Camaro (Gen 6 concludes for 2021 model year) and bring back the Camaro as a crossover - they're already promoting the 2020 Blazer as the "sporty" crossover...looks inevitable.

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal H View Post
... and bring back the Camaro as a crossover
Just shoot me now if that's the case. I'd rather be dead than see that disaster come to existence.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

// 2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 392, TR-6060, Billet Silver, SPAG
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 02:46 PM

Can you imagine.
Chevys first Crossover Camaro in
NASCAR ?
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 03:54 PM

I was just thinking back to the popularity of the 69/70 SS Chevelle, not only back in the day, but even now. Even the clones are selling for big money these days. Interesting that GM chose not to capitalize on bringing back that design as Dodge did with the Challenger. I'm thinking it could have been every bit as popular as the Challenger. Overall sales numbers back in the day would indicate so. Seems manufactures are forever copying each other's successful ideas, but alas, not this time.
Ha... instead, Chevy came out with the SSR, a huge gamble and a huge financial failure.

Last edited by garyahouse; 05-08-2019 at 11:10 AM.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyahouse View Post
I was just thinking back to the popularity of the 69/70 SS Chevelle, not only back in the day, but even now. Even the clones are selling for big money these days. Interesting that GM chose not to capitalize on bringing back that design as Dodge did with the Challenger. I'm thinking it would could have been every bit as popular as the Challenger. Overall sales numbers back in the day would indicate so. Seems manufactures are forever copying each other's successful ideas, but alas, not this time.
Ha... instead, Chevy came out with the SSR, a huge gamble and a huge financial failure.
I completely agree! A modern'ized, but still retro-looking version of the Chevelle would be awesome. You'd think that GM would follow Dodges' lead and make such a thing. Have both it and the Camaro. They're dumping almost all of their sedans, so they have plenty of room in the line-up for another car or two! Maybe the sales numbers just don't justify it, being a 2-door car. I'm one of those people that have zero interest in an SUV - I want a car. Being a GM guy up until now, I would have jumped on a nice-looking retro'ish Chevelle - assuming it was done right - but that is a big assumption with GM nowadays...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode