Challenger ousts the Camaro - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 04:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I was a Ford guy and jumped ship in 2015 with my next dually being a Ram 3500, then last year I replaced my DDer a Ford Fusion with a 2018 Challenger. The wife has a 2018 GMC SUV. I'm not a SUV person either 2 doors or a big 4x4 truck. No regrets being all Mopar now as my choice of driving dictates which one I use. Love my Challenger as my DDer.

Camero I didn't like at all, Mustang, no leg room

2018 SXT Plus Granite Crystal Metallic
2017 Maverick XMR 1000R
2015 Ram 3500 Dually 4x4 Aisin
2014 Palomino Columbia 43' TH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capevettes View Post
I have been a diehard Chevy and Corvette guy all my life. My friends are giving me an awfully hard time now with a Viper and Challenger in the garage with the Vettes. Dodge is making fantastic cars. The Challenger just checked all the boxes after looking at Camaros and Mustangs. The Challenger is our daily and trip car. Neither of it's competitors even have a usable trunk. Hard to beat the retro looks of the Challenger. I am impressed with the build quality as well.
Yup! You pretty much describe me as you've described yourself.

My Corvette shares a Garage with my Challenger too.

Long time Chevy guy.....lot's of Camaros too. Still have my '69 Z/28 as well as the old Corvette. Long gone are the Chevy trucks we've used on the small farm we own here in rural New Hampshire. Today a Ram Truck gets that all important job of winter driving and trips to the grain store, dump and Home Depot/Tractor supply runs done.

It's hard to look at Chevy today......and I mean that quite LITERALLY.

I compare the performance of a new Camaro or Corvette to Ford and Chrysler's offerings and it's a serious condemnation of what has happened to styling because honestly if they weren't so far from what I think a car should look like I'd likely own Chevy's today too same as in the past.

The Corvette is just incredibly good and the Camaro is light years ahead of the Challenger and Mustang in terms of it's Capabilities as performance car.......the trouble is I just can't imagine ever warming up to homely styling.

John Delorean once said, "I can sell a young man's car to an old man but I can't sell an old man's car to a young man"

While that's still very true ......I think it could use an update for the modern world of performance cars.

I think you can sell the best looking car that doesn't bring the very best performance in a category but you'll always struggle to sell the best performing car when it's the worst looking in the Category"

Chevy needs new people in their styling department. Makes me wonder how many Aztec people are still running around in the halls of the General.
The Following User Says Thank You to TA 392 YJ For This Useful Post:
garyahouse (04-30-2019)
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,558 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TA 392 YJ View Post
Chevy needs new people in their styling department. Makes me wonder how many Aztec people are still running around in the halls of the General.
based on the looks of the Buick crossover "blobs" - they're probably still working away there.

I don't know who's styling the trucks - the '20 Silverado, '20 Duramax and the '19 Camaro are all pretty bad from a styling standpoint...

Ford and FCA are going to benefit from GM's mis-steps

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15

Last edited by Hal H; 04-30-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA 392 YJ View Post
...the Camaro is light years ahead of the Challenger and Mustang in terms of it's Capabilities as performance car.......the trouble is I just can't imagine ever warming up to homely styling.
You made some good observations, and especially this one. I disagree about the homely styling, but we can agree that the latest rendition looks nothing like its grampa from the good old days. I gave some thought to owning an SS Camaro perhaps a year before I bought my Challenger... until I drove one. As soon as I sat in the seat and closed the door, I knew I'd never own one. Are ya listening? I don't care how it looks or how it performs if I hate sitting in it.

First off, I don't like sitting on the ground, but that's just me.
Second, there's no way to get in without banging your head. What moron decided to make the roof 5 inches too short?
Third, the dashboard (in the 2015 I drove) was pathetic.
More importantly, the bottom of the window sits right next to my chin. I always drive with one arm hanging out. You know, elbow on the window ledge, hand on the edge of the roof...
Ain't happening in that sardine can.
And finally, speaking of sardines, I couldn't see out of the thing. The car feels like one giant metallic turtle neck...

Last edited by garyahouse; 05-01-2019 at 03:34 PM.
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyahouse View Post
You made some good observations, and especially this one. I disagree about the homely styling, but we can agree that the latest rendition looks nothing like its grampa from the good old days. I gave some thought to owning an SS Camaro perhaps a year before I bought my Challenger... until I drove one. As soon as I sat in the seat and closed the door, I knew I'd never own one. Are ya listening? I don't care how it looks or how it performs if I hate sitting in it.

First off, I don't like sitting on the ground, but that's just me.
Second, there's no way to get in without banging your head. What moron decided to make the roof 5 inches too short?
Third, the dashboard (in the 2015 I drove) was pathetic.
More importantly, the bottom of the window sits right next to my chin. I always drive with one arm hanging out. You know, elbow on the top edge of the door opening, hand on the edge of the roof...
Ain't happening in that sardine can.
And finally, speaking of sardines, I couldn't see out of the thing. The car feels like a metallic turtle neck sweater...
Funny thing about the horrendous styling. I can actually squint and see pretty clearly that original 1969 template used to create this abomination......and I sort of marvel at how completely and effectively the styling people managed to take one of Detroit's BEST LOOKING cars ever and then pull, squeeze and distort it all so very completely that they managed to get........THIS horrible looking car out of it.

I hear you on the driving positioning too and how the high doors and low roof made me think, "this must be what it feels like when you settle in to drive a tank into battle"

I suppose if you live in the rougher parts of town and if you could toughen up the sheet metal to withstand gun fire........the Camaro might just be the best possible choice for certain ugly scenarios.......but until some-one is actually shooting in your direction there isn't much to recommend in the Camaro's seating and view of the road over the Challenger or Mustang.
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal H View Post
based on the looks of the Buick crossover "blobs" - they're probably still working away there.

I don't know who's styling the trucks - the '20 Silverado, '20 Duramax and the '19 Camaro are all pretty bad from a styling standpoint...

Ford and FCA are going to benefit from GM's mis-steps
Maybe I'm just too stuck in what I think a car or truck should look like but in all honesty..... I find the latest Ford Trucks tough to call well styled too.......but GM's boxy lines it's full sized trucks looks especially bad.

Again, my Choice of RAM over a Chevy was no less about the styling differences than the Choice of Challenger over the Camaro was.

Last edited by Hal H; 04-30-2019 at 02:29 PM.
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 12:32 PM

If you felt claustrophobic in a 2015 (5th gen) Camaro, then you would absolutely hater the 6th gen even more, as it is even more cramped with even less window visibility. I traded in a 5th gen Camaro (2012) when I bought my Challenger. I certainly don't love the styling of the current Camaro, but I would have bought a new SS had the interior not been so tight and uncomfortable (and I am not a large guy).
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 12:50 PM

Whenever I get out of my Challenger and into my wifes 2010 Camaro SS I become ever more acutely aware of how much friendlier the interior of the Challenger is. Like Gary said, I also like to hang my arm out of the window, not possible in the SS. It is like sitting in a bathtub. Awful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:
moparjim71 (05-12-2019)
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 02:13 PM

Have ya seen the latest Civic Si with it RIDICULOUS wing and the angled facets all over the body? Seems the Camaro designers were drinking the same kool-aid they were serving over at Honda. Funny, I had both a 67 and a 71 Camaro. They were two completely different cars and bore very little resemblance. But they were both great looking cars. Just because a newer generation car is different doesn't make it ugly. But for what ever reason, GM hasn't been able to get a hit ever since 1972. Reminds me of some of our fav baseball teams lately...
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 03:16 PM

I wanted a Challenger and nothing else since 2008 but waited 8 years until I had the finances to buy one and keep my Tundra.

My honest feeling since the muscle car renaissance of the last several years is that the first couple years of the nostalgia felt incredible, then everything devolved right back towards 90s European style sleek and angular and boring, just like everything else. After the first few years of the new Camaro and Mustang they didn’t jump out at me anymore.

I got my Challenger because it was the best looking one. And I’d have kicked myself if I waited only to see some Alfa Romeo sports car with a Challenger badge roll out and everybody started bidding up the used retro ones.

I wonder if the Challenger stll does so well as an 11 year old bodystyle partly because it’s the only thing left that’s full on unapologetically retro.

Last edited by eman; 04-30-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode