Challenger ousts the Camaro - Page 4 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 06:47 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
I wonder if the Challenger stll does so well as an 11 year old bodystyle partly because it’s the only thing left that’s full on unapologetically retro.
I think he's got it folks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 07:16 AM

Garage
The 2011 Camaro SS was the second worst car I have ever owned. My intro thread details the horrid experience so I won't relive it here. I had such high hopes for that vehicle too. The number one worst car I ever owned was a 1988 Iroc-Z Camaro. Complete bucket of crap, but I digress.

Dodge got me when they dropped the 392 into the R/T trim in what was the little known, at the time, Scat Pack. My car was built in October of 2014 and is one of the early cars with all R/T badging except for the bee emblems on the fenders. Nobody knew what it was until around the summer of 2015 when demand went through the roof.

Of the big 3 offerings, the Challenger still has an undeniable likeness to the original beasts of the 1970s. As long as Dodge doesn't change the secret sauce we're bound to see Challenger live on in an era of hybrid and electric markets.

Our scars have the power to remind us that the past was real.
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:08 AM

This by far i can consider this Challenger the only "Muscle" car of this era and happy to be a new proud owner. I got rid of my 16' Camaro SS and its funny when people compare and say the Challenger is a boat when in fact it is only 10" longer and a big 1" wider LOL. I hear this often on the Camaro forums and just think to myself what are they smoking to think 10" more makes this Challenger a boat... Thank god for the extra 10" as my daughter who is only 8ys old can now fit into the back seat without having her head to the side squished on the inside headliner... I would take this speed boat any day over that jet ski. LMAO

2019 Challenger 392 Shaker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:46 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by keon718nyc View Post
This by far i can consider this Challenger the only "Muscle" car of this era and happy to be a new proud owner. I got rid of my 16' Camaro SS and its funny when people compare and say the Challenger is a boat when in fact it is only 10" longer and a big 1" wider LOL. I hear this often on the Camaro forums and just think to myself what are they smoking to think 10" more makes this Challenger a boat... Thank god for the extra 10" as my daughter who is only 8ys old can now fit into the back seat without having her head to the side squished on the inside headliner... I would take this speed boat any day over that jet ski. LMAO
My friend sent me a picture of his back view from the driver's seat of his new 2019 Camaro.

The C pillar is not a blind spot, it's a full on blind WALL.

The rear window is absolutely TINY and if you are twisted enough to have anyone sit in those back seats, their head alone will block another 1/3 of your already limited space.

2016 Dodge Challenger R/T 392
Jazz Blue, A8, Driver Convenience Group

2018 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab
Bright White, A8+V6
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyahouse View Post
I was just thinking back to the popularity of the 69/70 SS Chevelle, not only back in the day, but even now. Even the clones are selling for big money these days. Interesting that GM chose not to capitalize on bringing back that design as Dodge did with the Challenger. I'm thinking it would could have been every bit as popular as the Challenger. Overall sales numbers back in the day would indicate so. Seems manufactures are forever copying each other's successful ideas, but alas, not this time.
Ha... instead, Chevy came out with the SSR, a huge gamble and a huge financial failure.
It really is shocking that GM hasn't figured this out! I don't care about bragging rights as some poster said, I love cars - any cool cars. Challenger just happens to be the coolest car on the market .

I still think they made a mistake with the Camaro. They should have brought back the old original style of the Camaro ala the Challenger. That would have been awesome. Maybe a 1967 Camaro re-due with modern stuff??

GM bringing back a Chevelle why not? Muscle cars are in a heyday right now - what's old is new again and profits? If your selling a lot of something you'll make your profits.

2015 Scatpack 392 M6
Black/black
Stainless Works LT Headers
High flow cats
Resonator delete
274 Comp Cam with vvt limiter
Arrington 84 mm throttle body
Barton short throw shifter
Unlocked PCM
Diablo Sport Tuner
HHP Tune
Mopar CAI
Mopar front/rear strut tower braces
Speedlogix SS eliminator
Black lug nuts with Hellcat center caps
Mopar Performance Lowering Springs
Hellcat ram air intake
Hellcat red start button
275 Nittos
Heated/Ventilated seats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevetown View Post
...I don't care about bragging rights as some poster said...

Challenger just happens to be the coolest car on the market .

I still think they made a mistake with the Camaro. They should have brought back the old original style of the Camaro ala the Challenger. That would have been awesome. Maybe a 1967 Camaro re-due with modern stuff??

GM bringing back a Chevelle why not? Muscle cars are in a heyday right now - what's old is new again and profits? If your selling a lot of something you'll make your profits.
That "poster" was me. I mentioned bragging rights just in passing, though it doesn't really matter to me.

GM indeed experimented a little with bringing back some nostalgia. They tried selling an SS for 4 years and finally gave up. That experiment was far less investment for them as they didn't have to retool for an entirely new car, they imported a rebadged Holden Commodore from "down under" if I'm not mistaken. Since they discontinued the car in model year 2018, that tells me that it was a failed experiment. Bringing back the SS didn't work for them.

Seems they're a little gun shy about doing anything retro these days; and maybe their experience with the SSR and this latest blunder with the SS have given them a sour taste for jumping on the retro bandwagon.

And funny, it's not that the SS didn't have enough power or performance. What they don't seem to get is the styling. Nobody wants to buy another ho-hum body style. Remember the Pontiac G8 jellybean? The designers spent a lot of time and energy developing that platform only to see dismal sales... again. No wonder Pontiac was axed. That said, don't think for a moment that GM isn't aware of the runaway success of Challenger sales, and how retro is working for Dodge. We may never know why they chose not to bring back the 69 or 70 Chevelle as a retro masterpiece. They're certainly capable. Ha...they could have even capitalized on the 4 door and the drop top market as Dodge chose not to go that route with Challenger.

No big deal to me, I'm happy with my Hemi. I don't think their loss is our gain, but I do believe that our gain is indeed... THEIR LOSS.

Last edited by garyahouse; 05-08-2019 at 11:34 AM.
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,558 Posts
Garage
Quote:
GM indeed experimented a little with bringing back some nostalgia. They tried selling an SS for 4 years and finally gave up. That experiment was far less investment for them as they didn't have to retool for an entirely new car, they imported a rebadged Holden Commodore from "down under" if I'm not mistaken. Since they discontinued the car in model year 2018, that tells me that it was a failed experiment. Bringing back the SS didn't work for them.

Seems they're a little gun shy about doing anything retro these days; and maybe their experience with the SSR and this latest blunder with the SS have given them a sour taste for jumping on the retro bandwagon.

And funny, it's not that the SS didn't have enough power or performance. What they don't seem to get is the styling. Nobody wants to buy another ho-hum body style. Remember the Pontiac G8 jellybean? The designers spent a lot of time and energy developing that platform only to see dismal sales... again. No wonder Pontiac was axed.
GM concluding production entirely in Australia in Fall 2017 - seems to market / competition isn't good enough for GM to make RHD vehicles solely for the AUS market. GM built cars in that country for the past 90 years

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,558 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevetown View Post
It really is shocking that GM hasn't figured this out! I don't care about bragging rights as some poster said, I love cars - any cool cars. Challenger just happens to be the coolest car on the market .

GMs long plan is to probably eliminate passenger cars and focus on CUV / SUV, trucks and GM management has stated they're going primarily electric.

I can see when the tanking sales for Camaro become the argument "buyers don't want sports cars any more, instead its cross - overs".

And this example ['20 Blazer] is already being touted as the "sporty" crossover - I predict they'll try and paint the market as favoring this to replace the Camaro.
- it looks like if you combined a Camaro front end styling with a RAV4, this would be the result

they'll keep the 'Vette as the sole sports car (and with its higher price, can justify the smaller production of ~ 35 - 45K units per year)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-Chevy-Blazer.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	945281  
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
That "poster" was me. I mentioned bragging rights just in passing, though it doesn't really matter to me.

And funny, it's not that the SS didn't have enough power or performance. What they don't seem to get is the styling. Nobody wants to buy another ho-hum body style. Remember the Pontiac G8 jellybean? The designers spent a lot of time and energy developing that platform only to see dismal sales... again. No wonder Pontiac was axed. That said, don't think for a moment that GM isn't aware of the runaway success of Challenger sales, and how retro is working for Dodge. We may never know why they chose not to bring back the 69 or 70 Chevelle as a retro masterpiece. They're certainly capable. Ha...they could have even capitalized on the 4 door and the drop top market as Dodge chose not to go that route with Challenger.

No big deal to me, I'm happy with my Hemi. I don't think their loss is our gain, but I do believe that our gain is indeed... THEIR LOSS.

"No big deal to me, I'm happy with my Hemi. I don't think their loss is our gain, but I do believe that our gain is indeed... THEIR LOSS."

Well said my friend!
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keon718nyc View Post

I am pretty sure most references to the Challenger as a "boat" are due more to the Challenger's weight as compared to cars like Camaro and Mustang, not the over-all dimensions. The Hemi Challenger is undeniably a heavy car - not nearly as suited for road courses as the "competition". I don't say that as criticism at all. I love my T/A 392 and wouldn't trade it for any Camaro or Mustang! I lovingly refer to my PCP beast as a boat all the time. I love the way the size/weight of the Challenger makes it feel old school - like a true muscle car should feel. I don't intend to ever race my car on a track with turns, so skid pad and Nurburgring results mean absolutely nothing to me. My Challenger performs insanely well on the street in everyday driving - which is absolutely my only care. I am the proud owner of 3 boats... Only two of which actually float and are made for water use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode