Challenger R/T... not fast?! - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Challenger R/T... not fast?!

I hear that the 5.7 R/T isn't considered a fast car by quite a few auto enthusiasts. While there are many performance vehicles that are much faster, the argument is pretty much subjective at best. In your own opinion, is the Challenger R/T 5.7 a fast car or not? And what constitutes a car to be considered 'fast'?

MOPAR: Mostly Over-Powered And Respected
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 01:35 AM

Garage
At its introduction the R/T definitely had a respectable performance with the 5.7L. However a decade later most competing engines have been overhauled or replaced giving them substantial performance gains while the 5.7L has remained largely unchanged. It is still a solid engine that has great potential with certain mods or forced induction but compared to today's lighter and more powerful performance cars it can come up short in stock form.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cars:

Bright White 2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker A8. Mods: SRT Steering Wheel Swap, Petty's Strut Tower Brace, BT Catch Can, Custom Stripes, 20% Window Tints, Tinted Tail Reflectors and Side Markers

Titanium 2010 Challenger SE. Mods: JBA Headers, K&N CAI, Ported Throttle Body, Magnaflow Cat Back, DS 91 Octane Tune - Sold
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 02:37 AM

Just compare 0-60 times, and the autos will be slightly quicker with the 2015 and up 8-speed. I like the 5.7, it's about quicker than 70% of the vehicles I daily commute with, but that's commute with...Not a lot of folks drive their performance sedans to work. In fact, I don't either in the winter months, I drive a slow but sturdy Honda CRV. When I jump into the Challenger on the weekend after driving the CRV I feel like I am driving a very fast car lol!!! It's all in the point-of-view for me.

2015 Sublime Green Shaker Plus NEW!!
2016 Billet Silver SXT Plus (sold)
2017 Yellow Jacket T/A Plus NEW!!
2017 Yellow Jacket R/T Classic (sold to exgirlfriend!)
2015 Sublime Green Shaker Plus (sold)
2014 Header Orange Shaker Plus (sold)
2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic (sold)
2015 Sublime Green R/T Classic (sold)
2012 Stinger Yellow SRT8 6.4 (sold)
2010 B5 Blue SRT8 6.1 (sold)
2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic (sold)
2008 Hemi Orange SRT8 6.1 (sold)

The Following User Says Thank You to hunttriumph1500 For This Useful Post:
Byron (11-29-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 03:55 AM

Define "fast"?
I suppose its both a matter of perspective and relativity. As an R/T owner, I can say;
Drive a 120hp prius and then get in an R/T, and it will certainly not disappoint.
but
Drive a 755hp ZR1 that hauls the mail and hugs the road like its on rails and the R/T is probably not going to impress you at all.
Its not a fair comparision in either example, but you get the point.
The stock R/T is no slouch and its lines and heritage to me, more than make up for what it may now be considered lacking in, but it's not really viewed as 'fast' by modern performance standards.
Even Dodge now puts thier 'entry level performance package' at the 485hp scatpack level.

2015 Mods:
Hellcat Intake w/ AEM hi-flow filter.
GenPartsCo-USA D.I.P.S. air catcher screens.
Axis Model II's.
Firestone Indy 275/40/20
Rolling Thunder Reso delete.
Exteremevinyls side marker tints.
GPC Trunk Pull Handle.
Spare/Jack/Foam Delete.
GPC Phantoms.
Mopar O.E. Black Fuel Door.
Hellcat OE. ABS Cover.
Rear Seat Delete.
2014 Dodge Viper Seats.
Custom Fire Extinguisher & Mount.
The Following User Says Thank You to hemi4us For This Useful Post:
Bob Ricewasser (11-30-2018)
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 04:31 AM

Seems faster than a lot of the old muscle cars. I have had mine to 140 mph, a guy in an older Camaro could not keep up at highway cruising speeds. At about 120 mph he started getting real small in my mirror. It's fast enough to get you thrown in jail, and all the other "catch phrases" go along with it except one, "It will pass anything except a gas station", that is not true, while not great gas mileage, my driving habits get my about 14 mpg per fill up, which beats my old car which gets 10 to 12.

Move Over People Are Racing
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 04:58 AM

If you are comparing it to cars in general, then yes, the R/T is fast. Compared to "performance" cars, then it is mid-pack. It is the second-slowest Challenger model but even the 3.6 models are far quicker than most cars on the road today. If you are not tracking it and use it as a daily driver then the R/T is certainly fast enough.

REACH
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reach For This Useful Post:
72/340 (04-05-2019), Bob Ricewasser (11-30-2018), Byron (11-29-2018)
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 05:42 AM

Garage
A 5.7L R/T was the first Challenger I owned. Having gone from old 4x4 trucks to that, the 5.7L R/T will always be fast in my book. It's just that there are things that are faster.

// 2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 392, TR-6060, Billet Silver, SPAG
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackHemi41 For This Useful Post:
72/340 (04-05-2019)
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 06:06 AM

Fast is somewhat subjective and depends on what you are comparing it to. That said my first modern Challenger was a 2010 R/T and I ran a 13.6 on street tires at it's first outing to the track. Over the next couple years with minor bolt on mods a tune and drag radials I got that down to a 12.8. Now while that might not set the world on fire it was fast enough to beat all the stock Camaro's I raced when the magazines were claiming they were much faster than the Challenger. In the real world of the drag strip that I frequented the Camaro's seemed to be running mid 13's and I was plenty competitive with them. Their trap speed was generally a shade higher but I won the head to head races. I realize I had a few bolt on's giving me an advantage but the 5.7 doesn't take a lot of modding to be right with those 5th generation Camaro's. So is it fast? I think it's fairly fast and is a true muscle car, are their faster cars out there including a bunch in the Challenger line up? Well yes but there's almost always something else faster out there.

2014 SRT Core - 12.091 @ 114.03 mph
2010 R/T - PB 12.87 Traded

I know my car runs 10's because I once beat a guy who said his car runs 11's.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 06:19 AM

Quick yes. Not fast.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZXMustang For This Useful Post:
jzink0883 (11-29-2018)
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 06:45 AM

If you can accidentally spin the tires , general rule is its pretty quick.

For me to call a car “fast” its got to 0-60 around 4 sec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode