Challenger R/T... not fast?! - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 06:53 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I say my 2015 R/T gives me what I want. Lovely rumble with the Solo catback, and can smoke the tires and get sideways if I want to. It's fast to me. I am not lining up and racing people. I bought the car for the looks and the sound of a V8. Could really care less if the mustang, camaro or vette is faster. Fact of the matter is they paid more, should be faster. And in the case of the mustang and camaro, not nearly as good looking. So I win.

2015 R/T Plus, A8, STP, Granite Crystal, Hellcat CAI, SOLO Mach X
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to franzen3 For This Useful Post:
jzink0883 (12-01-2018), R/T-Randy (04-02-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 06:59 AM

Garage
Asking if a car is "fast" is like asking if it's "Nice" or "fun".

If you ask a slug, he'll tell you that the turtle is "Fast".

K-DAWG
The Following User Says Thank You to K-Dawg For This Useful Post:
jzink0883 (12-01-2018)
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzen3 View Post
I say my 2015 R/T gives me what I want. Lovely rumble with the Solo catback, and can smoke the tires and get sideways if I want to. It's fast to me. I am not lining up and racing people. I bought the car for the looks and the sound of a V8. Could really care less if the mustang, camaro or vette is faster. Fact of the matter is they paid more, should be faster. And in the case of the mustang and camaro, not nearly as good looking. So I win.
Same! I felt for me anything above an R/T was just simply throwing money away. I don't do tracks and when I do feel the need for speed, I hit the on ramps and that quick acceleration to highway speeds is enough to satisfy my needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChallengerBoston For This Useful Post:
Byron (11-30-2018), jzink0883 (12-01-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1H8U View Post
I hear that the 5.7 R/T isn't considered a fast car by quite a few auto enthusiasts. While there are many performance vehicles that are much faster, the argument is pretty much subjective at best. In your own opinion, is the Challenger R/T 5.7 a fast car or not? And what constitutes a car to be considered 'fast'?
I assume we're talking acceleration?

Then the verdict from me is .......NOT FAST!

But the "lowly 5.7" has got plenty of company in the ranks of "slow" today. Many of which are Challengers, Camaros and Mustangs with even more powerful engines.

"FAST" today all but requires AWD.

Ironically it doesn't always require more Cubic inches or even 8 cylinders.

Want to really get your pre-conceived notions of "FAST" turned on it's head.

U tube provides plenty of examples.

Check out how a 6 Cylinder Truck wins the drag race between some pretty popular full sized pick up trucks

If that isn't convincing.

Electric cars are here and only get more commonly seen in traffic in the coming years. I know my own view of "fast" was completely upended and will never be the same again after driving a Tesla and ripping off an absolutely NO DRAMA at all 0-60 in well under 3 seconds. When that little blast becomes common place none of the currently available Challengers today is going to seem especially "Fast" anymore. They can still be COOL and FAST compared to other RWD cars and trucks but AWD is where speed is now.

Modern Tech allows for horse power and Torque that can overwhelm any street tire and limit your ability to realize the potential power of an engine when a car is RWD only.
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 08:24 AM

My R/T is fast. It isn't the fastest, but it is fast. Just as in the old days, there's a range of fast. My '70 383 Challenger was fast, but not the fastest. Having the fastest car is chasing a moving target and looking over your shoulder. I prefer my fun, fast enough car.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NMRT For This Useful Post:
ChallengerBoston (11-30-2018), jzink0883 (11-29-2018), MuscleCarProf (04-12-2019), RTguy_1961 (04-02-2019)
post #16 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 09:25 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by franzen3 View Post
Totally agree,, my RT is not the fastest,but it look sooo much better then most cars
Also like the fact that I have the title in hand and had the extra money
To add the mods that I have done
Besides that I can get a speeding ticket just as fast as any other “ faster car “
And like the other post state there is always something faster

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 sublime RT plus / STP, sun roof, Corsa sport
Mopar CAI, Scat Stage1 Mopar PCM,Mopar Front tower strut with billet caps
Billet Technology Catch Can and ID plate ,,Window tint with windshield strip , Mopar trunk mat, dead pedal. Asanti chrome wheels with BF Comp-2 A/S
Mr Kustom Green Challenger puddle lights.Green Diode Dynamics engine bay lights .
Old school pin striping by Dagger Lynn. Headrest embroidered by A~Z Design ,Pedal Commander

Last edited by Beachlovers2; 11-29-2018 at 09:32 AM.
post #17 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 10:01 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1H8U View Post
I hear that the 5.7 R/T isn't considered a fast car by quite a few auto enthusiasts. While there are many performance vehicles that are much faster, the argument is pretty much subjective at best. In your own opinion, is the Challenger R/T 5.7 a fast car or not? And what constitutes a car to be considered 'fast'?
I would have to say it's not considered fast with today's standards. If they are looking at hp and lb/tq ratings the average Sport coupe, Sedan and SUV are now putting down 300+ hp and close to 300 lb/tq. Average 0-60 times within 5-7 seconds.

Where the 5.7 really comes in is with the 410 lb/tq. That's what gives you the wheel burning while going sideways feature and launches the heavy car from 0-60 within 5+- seconds. I also think that is what gives it that muscle car acceleration feel.

So again is it fast? No! Is is slow? No! It's kind of in the sweet spot for what a lot of people are looking for when the go for the Challenger.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to McCloud For This Useful Post:
ChallengerBoston (11-30-2018), jzink0883 (11-29-2018), Mad Carew (04-05-2019), mbflatlander (04-03-2019), trippytro (11-29-2018)
post #18 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 10:31 AM

My Procharged Scat is pretty fast .. my DD 18 Charger R/T is fast enough to have some fun with but fast by today's standards ??? . not really..
post #19 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White R/T View Post
My Procharged Scat is pretty fast .. my DD 18 Charger R/T is fast enough to have some fun with but fast by today's standards ??? . not really..
There you go!

That's probably the best way to look at it.

The fastest RWD Challenger (something super charged is a good example) can be described as "pretty fast" but that's about it. These cars that are certainly "pretty fast" in the world of RWD pony cars and modern Muscle cars. But the platform is all about traditional RWD. I'm not sure the Retro isn't mostly lost when you add the AWD option that is just about the only way to truly harness modern high horse power and put it down in a usable way on street tires. (No offence to GT AWD owners but your car may be styled RETRO but the driving experience is thoroughly MODERN and that can even be argued as BETTER but it's not as "retro" as RWD)

As someone said earlier it's a bit subjective this opinion of "FAST".

It almost can't be objective until you narrow it down to an actual head to head/ one on one race.

A 5.7 Challenger is faster than a lot of cars. It's also slower than a lot of cars.

Calling it out as either FAST or SLOW is going to always come down what you've been driving as alternative or might be comparing for purchase if that's where you are in the comparison.
post #20 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 05:01 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Put some mods and stickers on car-- they are usually good for around 70-80 horsepower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode