Challenger R/T... not fast?! - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 10:15 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljb2148 View Post
Put some mods and stickers on car-- they are usually good for around 70-80 horsepower
That is one of the better things about the 5.7... Throw a cam and port the heads you have close to if not 100 hp and 20+lb/tq gains. Or go with a supercharger and max it out at 500 rwhp. I have heard of people pushing it past 500 but not sure what the life expectancy is going to be over 500. Point being the 5.7 is nice engine for mods... Fun to play around with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 10:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerBoston View Post
I felt for me anything above an R/T was just simply throwing money away. I don't do tracks and when I do feel the need for speed, I hit the on ramps and that quick acceleration to highway speeds is enough to satisfy my needs.
That's one of the reasons I bought my '13. Another reason was for the looks. I've wanted one since they were introduced in '08; but, I couldn't justify the cost new at the time. I bought mine used and paid right at 50% of sticker.

To answer the question about fast: I thought it was fast enough the day I took it to 132 mph. And, the ride was still superb (smooth as a baby's butt). It may not be nearly as quick off the line as some; but, I'm never at the line and do not race.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Live each day like it's your last 'cause one day you'll be right.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Ban low performance drivers - not high performance cars!

2013 R/T Classic in Jazz Blue with MOPAR CAI,
MOPAR Strut Tower Brace w/Billet Strut Cap Covers,
and BT catch can.
61,477 miles so far and more to come.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Golfnut For This Useful Post:
Bob Ricewasser (11-30-2018), ChallengerBoston (11-30-2018)
post #23 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 05:11 PM

To me fast is easily better than 120 ish and 0-60 in 5.5 or under beats 99% out there..

My past fun cars..

3 1965 GTO's and an 05 GTO
1 00 GTP
3 TA's 76/85/01
2 Mustangs 96 GT and 04 Mach1
3 Hemi ram trucks 03/12/14 Bighorn
5 Corvettes /07/11/ 12/13/15
TRADED
2012 Challenger SRT 6sp manual.
Traded
2013 arctic white corvette 6 speed manual.
2015 Corvette Stingray Sold 8 15 2015
Traded
2015 RT 392 Scat Pack M6 Torred. stripper.
Current
2016 R/T Scat pack 392 Shaker. Bright White SPAG M6 (1 of 306)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 07:43 PM

Garage
I think it’s fast. It’s certainly not the FASTEST, but it is fast. It helps that my 17 R/T is the fastest car I’ve owned and/or driven regularly. I’m fairly happy with its performance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobiuscorpus For This Useful Post:
jzink0883 (04-27-2019)
post #25 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkgfr View Post
To me fast is easily better than 120 ish and 0-60 in 5.5 or under beats 99% out there..
Beats 99%? No, not even close to that many. You'd probably be shocked, if you really believe that figure, by how very many cars are that fast or faster and some aren't even marketed "performance cars" today.

Time is a CRUEL Mistress to any car. 5.5 Seconds 0-60MPH for the 5.7 was once KILLER FAST!

From a December 1995 article comparing the only "muscle/pony" cars available at the time. Car and driver declared the brand new Camaro Z28/SS a much faster car than it's sister car the Pontiac Firebird and the Mustang GT.

It ripped off times that were "Corvette fast" at the time but just about EXACTLY what the Challenger RT with a 5.7 can do today.

So is the 5.7 Fast?

Sure......it's not as if that "new" 1996 Camaro Z28/SS wasn't or isn't still. It's just that today, unlike 1996, there are just so many cars that can achieve the 5.5 seconds to 60 and do a high 13 second 1/4 mile. 20 years ago it was but a very few that could do it avaiable from anywhere in the world.

In our normal test regimen, the Firebird took 14.1 seconds to trip the lights at 102 mph, with the Cobra right alongside at 14 flat at 102. But the Camaro, at Chelsea and at the drag strip, was the clear victor. The Z28 SS took top honors for straight-line acceleration, clocking 13.6 seconds at 106 mph. Street or strip, that's really getting with the program.

https://www.caranddriver.com/archive...g-strip-page-2
The Following User Says Thank You to TA 392 YJ For This Useful Post:
trippytro (12-01-2018)
post #26 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 07:29 AM

Garage
I did not buy the car a 14 RT Classic for it being fast. I bought it because when I test drove it, it made me grin ear to ear, and I do a lot of driving court to court. When family court gets on my nerves, A jump in my challenger makes the bad drama go away. I know my car has an intake and exhaust upgrade and it gets rubber in fourth gear, so that is Plenty for me. I love the styling, the handling, and the comfort it gives me. Once I wear this car out, A 392 shaker is in my future....
The Following User Says Thank You to 1984Montemaniac For This Useful Post:
F8HemiRT (12-01-2018)
post #27 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA 392 YJ View Post
Beats 99%? No, not even close to that many. You'd probably be shocked, if you really believe that figure, by how very many cars are that fast or faster and some aren't even marketed "performance cars" today.

Time is a CRUEL Mistress to any car. 5.5 Seconds 0-60MPH for the 5.7 was once KILLER FAST!

From a December 1995 article comparing the only "muscle/pony" cars available at the time. Car and driver declared the brand new Camaro Z28/SS a much faster car than it's sister car the Pontiac Firebird and the Mustang GT.

It ripped off times that were "Corvette fast" at the time but just about EXACTLY what the Challenger RT with a 5.7 can do today.

So is the 5.7 Fast?

Sure......it's not as if that "new" 1996 Camaro Z28/SS wasn't or isn't still. It's just that today, unlike 1996, there are just so many cars that can achieve the 5.5 seconds to 60 and do a high 13 second 1/4 mile. 20 years ago it was but a very few that could do it avaiable from anywhere in the world.

In our normal test regimen, the Firebird took 14.1 seconds to trip the lights at 102 mph, with the Cobra right alongside at 14 flat at 102. But the Camaro, at Chelsea and at the drag strip, was the clear victor. The Z28 SS took top honors for straight-line acceleration, clocking 13.6 seconds at 106 mph. Street or strip, that's really getting with the program.

https://www.caranddriver.com/archive...g-strip-page-2
Dude, again with the dissertation lol I think its fast too...

I've had 47 cars of all kinds..and I am 63 years old so I know the "history" of fast. I was generally speaking of my definition of fast. My stick Scat will do 0-60 in 4.4 with granny launch on street tires.
The Following User Says Thank You to hawkgfr For This Useful Post:
VNT (04-09-2019)
post #28 of 108 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 04:21 PM

Garage
Looks so Fast

Not the fastest car I have ever owned.
Here's a few faster cars I have owned - 86 Porsche, 86 Audi Quattro, Riceburner Hondas, 86 Monte Carlo SS, 98 Ram 5.9 with racing cam/4.11 gears, 72 Stingray and 82 Corvette.

The other day when I drifted a corner with my big body RT, I thought it was pretty fast.

It reminds me of this video. Need I say more...

2018 Fate RT She-Hulk
Is that a Dodge Challenger? Yup and you can't drive it..
That's a nice Dodge Charger! Sorry whats a Dodge Charger..
I'm sorry your wife made you buy a Minivan..
Can you drive that thing in the Winter? Hell Yeah hold my Beer..

post #29 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzen3 View Post
I say my 2015 R/T gives me what I want. Lovely rumble with the Solo catback, and can smoke the tires and get sideways if I want to. It's fast to me. I am not lining up and racing people. I bought the car for the looks and the sound of a V8. Could really care less if the mustang, camaro or vette is faster. Fact of the matter is they paid more, should be faster. And in the case of the mustang and camaro, not nearly as good looking. So I win.
Same here, no desire to race. Love the sound of the v8 and when I punch it I get a big grin..... that is enough for me
The Following User Says Thank You to RTguy_1961 For This Useful Post:
18PCPGT (04-04-2019)
post #30 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:59 PM

Challenger R/T , also the lightest challenger with a V8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode