Challenger Road Tests/Reviews - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,886 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up Challenger Road Tests/Reviews

In another month, all of the automotive magazines and web sites will be featuring Challenger road rests and reviews. Let's start a thread and post them all here in one place. Here is the first:

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8: Back From The Dead - Latest News, Features, and Reviews - The Forgotten Challenger - Automobile Magazine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 01:14 AM
RubberBannedWithCondom

Re: Challenger Road Tests/Reviews

Thanks much for the info this is a big deal is the getrag an option ?

The second Challenger we drove was almost identical to the first, except that it was equipped with a prototype Getrag torque-sensing limited-slip differential. Boy, what a difference this simple part makes on a damp racetrack. Stability control was less eager to step in, and the chassis hooked up in places where the other car struggled for traction - there's something fundamentally wrong with a 425-hp, rear-wheel-drive car that relies on ESP and ABS to control wheel spin. The good news is that SRT tells us that this differential, conveniently, works with stock ESP programming. Look for it as an option, most likely paired with a six-speed manual gearbox, on 2009 Challengers. In addition, the 2009 lineup will grow to include a V-6-powered Challenger and a V-8 R/T model with about 350 hp.

Last edited by NOT EVEN REMOTELY SURE; 04-19-2008 at 02:50 PM.
post #3 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 12:52 PM

Im waiting for one of the magazines or test for someone to actually come out and tell the truth like, Wow this thing is really heavy for a performance platform...thumbs down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBokus View Post
Im waiting for one of the magazines or test for someone to actually come out and tell the truth like, Wow this thing is really heavy for a performance platform...thumbs down.
Listen, I realize you just joined Challengertalk,so you have not read most or a lot of the info here; which is very extensive and answers a lot of this "weight issue" you keep bringing up[ so you are at a disadvantage already], but your weight issue doesn't seem to be slowing this baby down : https://www.challengertalk.com/forums...ideo-far-1629/ !! P.S. Do you know ERIK M3 ?????
post #5 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin View Post
Listen, I realize you just joined Challengertalk,so you have not read most or a lot of the info here; which is very extensive and answers a lot of this "weight issue" you keep bringing up[ so you are at a disadvantage already], but your weight issue doesn't seem to be slowing this baby down : https://www.challengertalk.com/forums...ideo-far-1629/ !! P.S. Do you know ERIK M3 ?????

Yes but I am a realist, my pickup will do burnouts. The guy in the Camaro thats blows you away from stoplight to stoplight doesnt care if it can do a burnout. Your getting me all wrong anyway, I wanted to express my dissappointment with what the finished product is going to be, I know since I am a performance enthusiets and have built many cars in my time.Ive been a lifetime Mopar fan but as a realist I see the writing on the wall,I know how hard it is going to be to make this thing competitive with the Camaro and Mustang, Im hoping if I can cause enough concern that more than just me will question Chryler and ask them to help us out just a little we might get a more competitive product.

Can you direct me to the threads where the weight issues have been addressed.

Last edited by BoBokus; 04-19-2008 at 02:08 PM.
post #6 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Since you seem to know the weight, and the disadvantages the Challenger "MAY" come to the table with, why are you waiting for magazines to tell you? I know why, so you can stir up some chit.. Oh well. your one of many who have logged in, lobbed a few bombs, then ran off. Who cares. Some of us are waiting to relive the muscle car era(ill be 40 in 2010, the height of the musclecar era), so I want a bad ass car, who cares if its 200 pounds heavier.. That is not going to make much of a difference when pushing 500 HP. If you are looking for a race car, go get a 86 mustang coupe and build a race car. If you want a bad A$$ car with a big ol hemi, stripes, paint, brembos, gears, and a pistol grip six speed, keep on reading... nuff said.
post #7 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Yes but I am a realist, my pickup will do burnouts. The guy in the Camaro thats blows you away from stoplight to stoplight

Can you direct me to the threads where the weight issues have been addressed.
Yes, so as to not hi-jack this thread, I've reposted here : https://www.challengertalk.com/forums...html#post22498
post #8 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 04:33 PM

There is a good article on the 08'-09' Dodge Challengers on LC: 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 (and 2009 Challenger R/T and SE) 23 pages in all and answered a few of my questions. Hope this helps
post #9 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 04:37 PM

Check out LC: 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 (and 2009 Challenger R/T and SE) for a decent article on our favorite ride!
post #10 of 117 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,886 Posts
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Here is Motor Trend's comparison of the Challenger SRT with the Shelby GT500. As expected, the lighter (3,887 lbs.vs. 4,137 lbs.) and more powerful supercharged GT500 (500 hp. vs. 425 hp.) has better stats (0-60 mph- 4.3 sec. vs. 4.7sec.; 0-100 mph- 9.7 sec. vs. 11.3 sec.; 1/4 mile- 12.6 [email protected] 114 mph vs. 13.1 sec. @ 108.3 mph), but a higher price ($47,210 vs. $41,158, as tested).

Motor Trend, however, liked the Challenger over the GT500. It said that the Challenger offers "Broad-shouldered good looks, thundering Hemi power, and savvy chasis tuning...(and) old school muscle." The GT500 while "still an eye-catcher, and sensationally fast (has an) archaic chassis and whiney motor."

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 vs. 2008 Ford Shelby GT500 - Specifications - Comparison - Motor Trend

Last edited by Cuda340; 05-22-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode