converting to E85 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
converting to E85

In preparation for a large procharger, and since I'm having problems running 93 pump gas on the stroker, I'm converting over to E85.
So far the budget is looking to be right around $1200, not counting the tune (if I can't get it dialed in myself) and a few hours of my time.
This should fix the problem I'm having with the 426 squeezing the fuel too much and causing pre-detonation at lower rpms, and some people seem to think I'll get a little more power since I can ramp the timing up more with E85.

The list:
$619 Fore Fuel Hat with single 450 pump (expandable to duel pump later)
$219 BBK billet fuel rails
$185 Aeromotive pressure regulator
$50 Stainless braided fuel line
$75 -8 & -10 an fittings
$40 12 AWG wiring & relays

I'll be switching over to a 60 psi return style system using -8 line for the feed and return, the factory fuel regulator in the tank will be capped.
I have read that some people say the BBK rails are garbage, if that's the case I'll return them and go with a set from Arringtons, Speedlogix, or another vendor.
The 52# Deatschwerks injectors I originally installed when I built the 426 are large enough to handle the E85 NA up to 600hp, once I go forced induction I'll need to upsize to 112# injectors (and beefier valve springs).

Pics to follow once I get the parts together and start installation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 RAM 1500 Laramie 4x4 Eco Diesel GDE tune, fully loaded, hers.
2010 R/T 6M 500HP Daily driver
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6.1 based [email protected]:1,Howards Cam,ported heads/intake,52# Deatschwerks injectors,AFR shaker,Derale oil cooler,Barton STS,shorty headers,3" solo performance duals,BBK 85,HP tuned,Jet 180*,BT Catch Can,SLP locks,BT dash kit,MP hood struts,sequential tails, 20x10 Hellcat chromes wrapped in 305 Pirellis,MyGig 730N,rear cam,park sense.
09 Suzuki GSF1250 Bandit 1255 I-4 - Yoshi exhaust, WP seat

Last edited by chizzle1; 01-31-2019 at 07:29 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to chizzle1 For This Useful Post:
GreeninTN (02-10-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 08:35 AM

With E85, get ready to be intimate with your local gas station Have you considered water/meth injection?
The Following User Says Thank You to MiHiHemi For This Useful Post:
chizzle1 (02-01-2019)
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiHiHemi View Post
With E85, get ready to be intimate with your local gas station Have you considered water/meth injection?
Not really, the knock is happening at part throttle and I'm not sure I could setup methanol to work like that.
At 14 mpg average I already frequent the gas station :-)

I had a 50/50 shot of this thing running on pump gas, but the compression ratio is right at the limits of what 93 can handle.
Once I go forced induction I'm shooting for 15-20 pounds of boost, E85 will make life easier (I think).
The Following User Says Thank You to chizzle1 For This Useful Post:
MiHiHemi (01-31-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,429 Times in 2,622 Posts
Garage
I thought you were done?

A Guy

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
The Following User Says Thank You to A Guy For This Useful Post:
chizzle1 (02-01-2019)
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
I thought you were done?

A Guy
me too

I am getting the car setup for boost one day in the distant future...and might get a little more power from the E85.
The supercharger will absolutely be on the back burner for a while, I can't drop $9k on the car while I have 1 in college and 1 in grade school.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
The fuel rails came in, and they look to be a quality product.
I was a little concerned that the fittings on each end were only -6 but it appears that is the standard size (I checked other vendors and their rails were similar).
The fuel hat should be in tomorrow, it will take me a little while to manufacture the wiring & relays needed to for the larger pump.
I could not see paying $250 for some loom, wiring, and a relay so I don't mind waiting a few days until I get time to put it together.

The most time consuming (and expensive) part of this process so far has been trying to figure out exactly how many of each type and size AN fittings I need.
I'll probably lay the entire setup out on the bench and make sure I have everything before I start the installation.

I need to double the original estimate for line and fittings.

more to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel rails.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	387.1 KB
ID:	938901   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel rails 2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	338.2 KB
ID:	938903  
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 12:21 AM

I'm also in the works to change everything out and going e85. I have been trying to get a list down of exactly what I need. Do you need the fore hat or is that something you just opted for to later upgrade? I'm already running a 450 Walbro and wiring/relays are upgraded. All I really need is the correct fuel lines and maybe switch the 6.1 to the fore fuel rails. Could you let me know what fuel lines you went with and length I've been so lost lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to BeyondUno For This Useful Post:
chizzle1 (02-21-2019)
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondUno View Post
I'm also in the works to change everything out and going e85. I have been trying to get a list down of exactly what I need. Do you need the fore hat or is that something you just opted for to later upgrade? I'm already running a 450 Walbro and wiring/relays are upgraded. All I really need is the correct fuel lines and maybe switch the 6.1 to the fore fuel rails. Could you let me know what fuel lines you went with and length I've been so lost lol.
I went with the fore hat for ease of installation, and it (pump) was already setup for E85.
I am ordering 15 feet of -8 and -10 braided hose, probably more than I need but rather too much than not enough - plus I'm having to locate my fuel pressure regulator towards the front of the engine bay.
You will also need to add about 30% more fuel to the tune and new injectors (if they aren't rated for E85).

Last edited by chizzle1; 02-07-2019 at 08:17 AM.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzle1 View Post
Quote:
I went with the fore hat for ease of installation, and it (pump) was already setup for E85.
I am ordering 15 feet of -8 and -10 braided hose, probably more than I need but rather too much than not enough - plus I'm having to locate my fuel pressure regulator towards the front of the engine bay.
You will also need to add about 30% more fuel to the tune and new injectors (if they aren't rated for E85).

Thank you for the reply, yeah I have id1000s and a 450 Walbro. I won't be running e85 but would like to have everything ready to be able to run it once I have my built transmission. I figured I didn't need much length for the fuel lines. Did you purchase the braided hose's from summit? Those are the one's I've been looking at myself.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Thank you for the reply, yeah I have id1000s and a 450 Walbro. I won't be running e85 but would like to have everything ready to be able to run it once I have my built transmission. I figured I didn't need much length for the fuel lines. Did you purchase the braided hose's from summit? Those are the one's I've been looking at myself.
I haven't purchased the lines yet, but those are the ones I'm going with. I have a 08 CTS (customer car) to finish before I can start on mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode