Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Cruise-Control Downshifts!

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  praiseV8 
#1 ·
The A8 is very impressive. I enjoy the way it downshifts almost as much as the way it upshifts. Almost! But this Illinois flatlander wasn’t expecting this.

Just did a road trip in the SP (6.4/A8), Chicago to Iowa. On U.S.-20 in Illinois, there are downhills that are steep enough to warrant signs telling trucks to use lower gears; yes, in Illinois! I had the cruise set at 60. If the car went more than 1-2 mph over the cruise setting on the downhills, the A8 downshifted through the gears to slow the car down. More than once it downshifted to 5th.

My wife didn’t understand why I couldn’t stop laughing about how cool that was.

Next time I’m out that way, I want to see how the cruise control works in Sport Mode.

FWIW, averaged 23.2 mpg for the entire trip. When it could be used, cruise was set at 5 over the speed limit.

#2 · (Edited)
I thought it was cool when I discovered it as well. Every other car that I’ve owned that had cruise control only used the gas to control the speed. Going down hill it’s cool to see how the car uses the brakes and downshifts to maintain speed. My car has adaptive cruise so your car might control the speed differently.

I’ve found that sport mode with cruise control is great when you are going down steep hills because it uses engine braking even more because it won’t let the transmission go into the higher gears.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Yep, used it up in the Rockies. I always drive in Sport Mode, and engaged cruise going down Rabbit Ears Pass. Never touched the brakes once.

Before anyone calls BS, all that I can say is that it downshifted and held the gear needed to maintain the set speed. I've done this numerous times in my SP.

Google Rabbit Ears to see the downhill grades. The A8 is an amazing automatic. I've also done this through Rocky Mountain Natioal Park.

This all said, I wouldn't do it in the Winter. The SP stays home for Winter weather up there. Lol

#4 ·
Lot's of hills here also and I am impressed with the A8 in my car and my truck.
Just got back from a trip in my 1500 and got 19.9 MPG with a truckload of people and gear.
Both rigs get better fuel mileage when I use the CC and keep it under 85 mph.
The truck is a 2017 5.7 crew cab Ram.

#6 ·
I discovered this a few years back, and it scared the poop out of me. I'm going down a steep mountain in cruise control and suddenly my car downshifts and is running at 3500 RPM. I thought something happened to my transmission. /forums/images/ChallengerTalk_2014/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png
Yep, the first time experience is a WTF moment!

I like the engine braking experience, and zero Brembo dust! Lol

#7 ·
you don't really have to have a big mountain for the A8 to do it's downshifting. i have a good size hill in town that i have to go down to get home. she'll downshift to i'm thinking 3rd or 2nd & start popping & don't have to touch the brake till i get right at my house. the A-5 didn't do that. love the sound of her especially putting her in sport & shift mode. the shaker has no blanket under the hood, so you get great engine noise & exhaust noise as well. i didn't buy her not to hear her but the A8 is just great. the only problem in sport/shift mode, those 1st 2 gears you better be awake or you'll hit the rev limiter. reminds me of my friends roadrunner that had 4.11's. haven't ridden with any of my pony friends but can't believe their A10 is better.

Reactions: jzink0883
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.