Few questions about Challengers - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Few questions about Challengers

Hey everyone, new member...as the name suggests I may be coming from a camaro. I’ve been saving up for a ZL1 for a while but I’m not sure I want to spend that much money anymore and I’m not sure I need that much car. I test drove a Mustang (meh) and the new 19 SS’s are butt ugly, thanks Chevy.

So I started to research Challengers more and test drove one the other day and really enjoyed it. Some questions:

1) Which options do I want? I test drove a 392 scatpack R/T with T/A, loved it. Loved the blacked out hood, hood clips and the infotainment system and the heated/cooled seats, air intake etc. Car seemed to have everything I wanted that could be upgraded. Is that pretty much the top of the line 392 without adding the 1320 package? It was priced at 49K.

2) what seems to be the general consensus here? Are most satisfied with their cars? Dissatisfied? Underwhelmed?

3) what seem to be the biggest gripes? 3 things stood out to me. Heads up display would be nice, interior lighting would be nice and the backup camera (maybe it was dirty) was REALLY blurry.

4) are there no Dodge performance exhausts? I haven’t seen anything about exhausts so I don’t know if the one on the car is tuned, performance, active, etc. Chevy and ford advertise this. I can always go after market, just curious.

5) how are these cars in rain, snow, cold. I live in colorado and a big reason I don’t want a ZL1 anymore is because it’s even more powerful than the 392 and while it’s not the frozen tundra some believe, it’s still cold in the winter. It’s not an everyday driver, 1-2 days a week but still it would be my primary car after work hours.

Thanks everyone! Any help would be appreciated, I know everything about Camaros and very little about Challengers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
After further inspection, the one I test drove did not seem to have any upgraded options outside of the alpine system, spoiler, hood pins and T/A. This explains the lack of embroidered seats/leather and the lack of ambient lighting. The salesman tried to tell me that the seats were the upgraded version and that the light on the bottom of the door was the “ambient lighting?”

Do you only get heated/ventilated seats with the plus package? The one i drove had cooled seats but they were just cloth as far as I remember.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cominfromcamaro View Post
Hey everyone, new member...as the name suggests I may be coming from a camaro. Iíve been saving up for a ZL1 for a while but Iím not sure I want to spend that much money anymore and Iím not sure I need that much car. I test drove a Mustang (meh) and the new 19 SSís are butt ugly, thanks Chevy.

So I started to research Challengers more and test drove one the other day and really enjoyed it. Some questions:

1) Which options do I want? I test drove a 392 scatpack R/T with T/A, loved it. Loved the blacked out hood, hood clips and the infotainment system and the heated/cooled seats, air intake etc. Car seemed to have everything I wanted that could be upgraded. Is that pretty much the top of the line 392 without adding the 1320 package? It was priced at 49K.

2) what seems to be the general consensus here? Are most satisfied with their cars? Dissatisfied? Underwhelmed?

3) what seem to be the biggest gripes? 3 things stood out to me. Heads up display would be nice, interior lighting would be nice and the backup camera (maybe it was dirty) was REALLY blurry.

4) are there no Dodge performance exhausts? I havenít seen anything about exhausts so I donít know if the one on the car is tuned, performance, active, etc. Chevy and ford advertise this. I can always go after market, just curious.

5) how are these cars in rain, snow, cold. I live in colorado and a big reason I donít want a ZL1 anymore is because itís even more powerful than the 392 and while itís not the frozen tundra some believe, itís still cold in the winter. Itís not an everyday driver, 1-2 days a week but still it would be my primary car after work hours.

Thanks everyone! Any help would be appreciated, I know everything about Camaros and very little about Challengers.
You ask a lot of questions and I can only answer a few.
I bought a wide body scat and while it has a lot of the options provided on the T/A scat the intake is different and this is big for lot's of folks.
I am very satisfied with it. I got mine with the A8 auto and I love it but some like the manual.
The only whining i could do is about the paddle shifters. I wish they were longer and toggled vertically instead of horizontally.I don't know about the heads up but I think the interior lighting is very nice.
I like the active exhaust and haven't and probably won't pursue aftermarket.
I don't drive mine in inclement weather, I drive my Ram.
Hope this helps.

2019 wide body Scat
Foot print gas pedal ( just kidding)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decay View Post
Quote:
Hey everyone, new member...as the name suggests I may be coming from a camaro. I’ve been saving up for a ZL1 for a while but I’m not sure I want to spend that much money anymore and I’m not sure I need that much car. I test drove a Mustang (meh) and the new 19 SS’s are butt ugly, thanks Chevy.

4) are there no Dodge performance exhausts? I haven’t seen anything about exhausts so I don’t know if the one on the car is tuned, performance, active, etc. Chevy and ford advertise this. I can always go after market, just curious.

5) how are these cars in rain, snow, cold. I live in colorado and a big reason I don’t want a ZL1 anymore is because it’s even more powerful than the 392 and while it’s not the frozen tundra some believe, it’s still cold in the winter. It’s not an everyday driver, 1-2 days a week but still it would be my primary car after work hours.

You ask a lot of questions and I can only answer a few.
I bought a wide body scat and while it has a lot of the options provided on the T/A scat the intake is different and this is big for lot's of folks.
I am very satisfied with it. I got mine with the A8 auto and I love it but some like the manual.
The only whining i could do is about the paddle shifters. I wish they were longer and toggled vertically instead of horizontally.I don't know about the heads up but I think the interior lighting is very nice.
I like the active exhaust and haven't and probably won't pursue aftermarket.
I don't drive mine in inclement weather, I drive my Ram.
Hope this helps.
Lots of questions haha! Thanks for the feedback. So the exhaust is an active exhaust tuned to each driving mode? I asked the dealer and he had zero idea. Where is the interior lighting located? I’ve googled all of this and can’t find anything!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 01:57 AM

Thanked 3,655 Times in 2,750 Posts
The T/A 392 and the Scat Pack are the same car mechanically, suspension and for 19 brakes is the same, if you want the 6-piston brakes on T/A 392 now you must order Dynamics Package just like Scat Pack. To get the absolute top, also order the Adaptive Suspension, then you will have it all.

16 SRT 392, 3 years and 20,000 miles and totally satisfied, great car and has been flawless, not one issue.

Don't know about a HUD, I guess if its done right could be good but I don't miss it. I've got all the options including technology group which I like and yes, the camera isn't the greatest resolution but I find it acceptable enough to do its job which is to let you know if anything is behind you, and there's also the parksense beepers to warn you too.

The standard 2.75" active exhaust is your performance exhaust and is near perfect imho and I wouldn't touch it.

No issues in the rain and many drive in snow. Just put the car in ECO and it will start in second gear with a different program to make it easier to drive or put it in valet mode and it knocks the power down to below an SXT.

Heated seats are standard but the ventilated seats will be only with the plus package and this upgrades the cloth to leather/alcantara. Plus also gets you a heated wheel and extra lighting on the door panels.

The exhaust is controlled by the computer based on the situation and drive mode. When it first starts up its open and loud then quiets down. As you drive it if you get on it it will open and get louder. In track mode it stays open, on the highway it is closed for a nice cruise with no drone.

Interior lights controlled by two thumbwheels on left side under light switch.

These are great cars. I'd probably go Widebody but if you go T/A 392 I would definitely recommend the dynamics package along with the adaptive suspension. On the interior I like the driver convenience group and the plus package for the nice seats. My car is also A8 and although I still miss the M6 occasionally, this A8 has been an excellent transmission.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

2016 SRT 392 - Billet Silver, Black Stripes, A8, Tech Group ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Slidd; 04-05-2019 at 02:00 AM.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Hey everyone, new member...as the name suggests I may be coming from a camaro. Iíve been saving up for a ZL1 for a while but Iím not sure I want to spend that much money anymore and Iím not sure I need that much car. I test drove a Mustang (meh) and the new 19 SSís are butt ugly, thanks Chevy.

4) are there no Dodge performance exhausts? I havenít seen anything about exhausts so I donít know if the one on the car is tuned, performance, active, etc. Chevy and ford advertise this. I can always go after market, just curious.

5) how are these cars in rain, snow, cold. I live in colorado and a big reason I donít want a ZL1 anymore is because itís even more powerful than the 392 and while itís not the frozen tundra some believe, itís still cold in the winter. Itís not an everyday driver, 1-2 days a week but still it would be my primary car after work hours.

Welcome to the Challenger chatty board. Keep asking questions.
Go to this link: media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsroom.do?id=136&mid=200 . Scroll down a bit and you will see on the right side (past the pictures) a heading "Product Specifications". The first item under that is "2019 Challenger and Challenger SRT Feature Availability". Click that to get a pdf of all of the features available on the 2019 cars. Study it. Below the feature availability link is the 2019 Challenger Specifications. Lots more good stuff there.

There is also a chance these two links will download the pdf files:
http://chryslermedia.iconicweb.com/m...i0oijm8tb5.pdf

http://chryslermedia.iconicweb.com/m...2mhu6dkr4s.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to Steven_sbs For This Useful Post:
Cominfromcamaro (04-05-2019)
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:49 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 611 Posts
Garage
First, good luck with your hunt....if you know what you want and educate yourself, you won't be disappointed.

Second, DO NOT RELY ON ANY DEALER/SALESMAN TO GIVE YOU ACCURATE INFORMATION....THEY DON'T KNOW. Two weeks after taking delivery of my 2015 Scat Pack, I stopped by the dealership to show it off to my salesman (he and I had struck up a casual "car guy" relationship. Several salesmen came out to look at the car, and asked me what it was and where I bought it.

This site is the BEST SITE to educate yourself on these cars. Search for ResumeSpeed posts on the model year you're looking at; you'll find accurate and detailed information on...here's the link for the 2019 MY:
2019 Challenger Information Thread

As to options, I would strongly recommend the Driver Convenience Group (at least that's what it was called for my MY 2015)...this will give you the Blind Spot indicators, which for these cars is extremely helpful.

Other than that one option, the rest is up to what you like, want, and want to pay for.

Again, good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Renny", a 2015 Scat Pack 392, 6M Pitch Black - Driver's Conv Opt; Tech Opt; Leather; SGII
Billet Technology engine bay pieces - Sponsor
Custom designed, George Barris inspired side pipes Hiflow Custom Exhaust - Sponsor
Katzkin Leather interior - Sponsor
NoWeeds Exhaust Diverters - Sponsor
Barton Flat Stick Short Shifter
Mopar Stage 1 Springs

The Following User Says Thank You to PaVaSteeler For This Useful Post:
Cominfromcamaro (04-05-2019)
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 11:14 AM

Love my 392! Absolutely love it. Great combination of comfort, style and brute muscle. Big enough for 5 and the trunk is a huge. Old school to me and a bit of a throw back. Car is very firmly seated and loves to come back to center. If I really unload on it, it can be scary. Handles better than you think. There will always be a faster car out there but this car to me - just hits it on all accounts. Not sure how many people like to come over or give you a thumbs up with the camaro or mustang but I do know this - the car gets a ton of people checking it out. Didn't buy it for that but have to admit its fun. Good luck!

2015 Scatpack 392 M6
Black/black
Stainless Works LT Headers
High flow cats
Resonator delete
274 Comp Cam with vvt limiter
Arrington 84 mm throttle body
Barton short throw shifter
Unlocked PCM
Diablo Sport Tuner
HHP Tune
Mopar CAI
Mopar front/rear strut tower braces
Speedlogix SS eliminator
Black lug nuts with Hellcat center caps
Mopar Performance Lowering Springs
Hellcat ram air intake
Hellcat red start button
275 Nittos
Heated/Ventilated seats

Last edited by Clevetown; 04-05-2019 at 11:17 AM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 11:23 AM

Also I get the weirdest people loving it, a lot of girls love this car. Young or old - I've had literally a granny pull up next to me - ya know the one with the rollers in her hair, and at the light give the car thumbs up. Middle aged women, my wife thinks its just a sexy car. But again, never intended that, was shocked at all the love for the car.

I bought it for the beast that it is!! Wanting to keep it long term as my fun car after such a great experience with my first a 2014 RT Plus M6. I really loved that car. I reluctantly sold it for the 6.4 and was shocked at the difference in power. Will never get rid of this one. With all its mods, it is an absolute beast.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:11 PM

Since full leather isn’t an option and if you don’t like the Alcantara seats, you could consider getting katzkin leather aftermarket in any color you want. I have ordered my car in cloth seats and will probably go katzkin route.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in