Frustrated with delays after new car built - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:59 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Think about it, all the cars leave the plant with a bar code, ups and fed ex, to name a few, can track that shirt you ordered daily until it arrives. We pay when you order that car 1350 dollars and FCA can't and won't track it for the buyer, so wrong. Everything can be tracked in real time, if they want to!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:12 AM

There is a guy named Paul Klein who has uploaded YouTube videos of his new Red Eye. Off the truck, bringing it home, hey, look, this is unsat rock chips on the rear wide body fenders, and he did one where he documented rust on the brake parts, etc, and was pretty upset. Either rust from stored parts before assembly, or perhaps...sitting outside waiting to be shipped? He has a point that an 80k plus car shouldn't arrive with rusted parts, methinks.
post #23 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,567 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finface View Post
There is a guy named Paul Klein who has uploaded YouTube videos of his new Red Eye. Off the truck, bringing it home, hey, look, this is unsat rock chips on the rear wide body fenders, and he did one where he documented rust on the brake parts, etc, and was pretty upset. Either rust from stored parts before assembly, or perhaps...sitting outside waiting to be shipped? He has a point that an 80k plus car shouldn't arrive with rusted parts, methinks.
there are unfinished steel / cast parts on most new cars - the tie rod ends and machined faces after the part was manufactured. This is not structural compromised areas due to corrosion / rust.
-just a handful go through painting (spray or dip), most do not.

In the old cars - these are referred to as "natural" finish where there was no paint, plating or galvanized coating.

look under the major Japanese brands and its a similar thing as well with unfinished surfaces will have surface rust / oxidation.

Exhaust systems, driveshafts, suspension control arms, fuel tanks etc.

Its totally normal for brake rotors to have surface rust.

Wash the car and after it sits over night, the rotors will have rust. A vehicle sitting on the lot will have it after sitting in the rain. Apply the brakes and the pads scrape the rust off the rotor...normal.

The widebody models have PPF on the lower front section of the rear flares - probably was noted that this was appearing as claims by new owners.

Personally, I'd apply PPF to the front leading face of front flares and put this one front face of rear flares. If you drive on chip-seal roads or areas where there's sand, grit gravel - airborne debris throw up from the front tires is going to chip the paint.

Ask owners that are in areas like Oregon or Texas - those roads are known for having debris...and PPF is one way to combat that. Or never drive the vehicle...

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:44 PM

Hal H,

I suppose how one views rusted underbody parts on brand new cars depends on how rusted they are. My Subaru's brake rotors rust almost overnight if the car is left out in the rain and it does rub right off with the first brake application.

The OP is saying his car is sitting in some railway yard for a month or more. Not only getting wet and rusting on natural finish underbody parts, but as he says perhaps having his fresh paint adversely affected by acidic rain. One would think the factory paint would not be harmed by rain, but maybe it can be without getting waxed or ceramic coated.

I live 500 miles (9 hours by car) southwest of Brampton so maybe my ordered car will be trucked, not sent by rail, and won't sit in an outside lot too long.

Best,

Finface
post #25 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 01:12 PM

A new thread has a link to an article about how the Brampton Challenger/Charger plant will be idled for two weeks in April. Lack of winter sales, dealer inventory too high.

If so I'd think all previously ordered Challengers (mine ordered March 7) would be built, but I have no idea about how this works given parts availability and economy of scale in assembly line production.

I got a great price on my Red Eye wide body with all the options except sun roof and tech package - well under invoice here in the midwest. With orders down to the point of idling the plant soon right now might be a good time to negotiate hard to buy a Challenger.

I did my negotiating via emails to the 10 nearest dealerships - all within 70 miles - and I asked for wide body Scat Pack, Hellcat and Red Eye quotes. I'd say 8 responded right away. You have to be very specific about what options you want and about asking for their out-the-door price because they won't include the dollar amount of sales tax (or tell you what, exactly, is taxed so you can only figure out a ballpark yourself), and they won't tell you all the dollar value of "title and fees". I did discover that sales tax is charged based on the state in which you reside, not the state in which you buy a car. Joining this forum and being the beneficiary of many helpful responses to my novice Challenger wanna-be-owner questions, plus reading up on the Red Eye's various features, plus watching too many videos too many times (*grin* - I'm not sure I can do that they are fun!) helped me decide I'd go for the Red Eye. Once I decided on the model I had to go back to these dealerships with follow on emails and spell it out I wanted their bottom line price for the Red Eye - and not all dealerships wanted to continue the negotiation when I did that - but I did finally did get apples to apples offers from 6 dealerships. They were all competitive, I appreciated their offers and told them so and thanked the sales reps I was dealing with (even after I decided which dealership would get my business). All final offers were under invoice too - the dealerships either had some hidden incentives from FCA coming their way or they simply were willing to sell by getting into their holdback value. I was very pleased with the price I paid and am looking forward to a great relationship with the dealer I settled on. The bottom line for me was that these 2019 models are not commanding the kind of dealer markup they have in the past, which is good for us. My understanding is FCA will build as many SP's, HC's and Red Eye's are buyers want.

Best,

Finface
post #26 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14 R/T View Post
The flooding in the mid-west is causing a lot of problems with the railroads, its hard to get railcars where they are needed when the tracks are underwater. By design, rail routes are built on the most level terrain available and thats usually near a river.

I ordered my Wide body scat pack 4 weeks ago, and it just went to JB status today. Im anxiously waiting too.

Same here. I checked Monday and it went from paint last week to JB status. Looks like we are on the same schedule. Do you have an estimated delivery date?
post #27 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Then Paul Klein likely doesn't understand anything about manufacturing, assembly, metallurgy or at minimum, surface oxidation. Paul Klien should ask for a tour of a driveline supplier (AAM/Dana/ZF) and cringe at all those THOUSANDS of brand new, unused axle & housing assemblies/rolling chassis/brakes/driveline components (used by all OEMs) that live outside in the snow/sleet/rain/salt before they ship out to an assembly plant.

Poor Paul Klein would be very disturbed I'm afraid

2018 Challenger T/A Destroyer Grey
post #28 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,695 Times in 2,796 Posts
Garage
A couple of things, apparently an "expert" in the train industry decided it was better to lay off people so they can do more "on demand" rail cars. Well the demand for oil, and lumber are huge, so cars are being retrofitted for those uses, and the change to double high cars for SUVs and such has affected what's available to ship cars. The "expert" misjudged, and now everyone is paying. SUVs and trucks are popular so they take up 1/2 again more space, and apparently flooding has exacerbated the situation.

As far as Fedex and UPS being able to track a bar code. I'm sure FCA has the capability, they likely just don't want you to see day after day that your new car is sitting waiting for transport now that it is built. They'd rather you be in the dark, and make vague statements. I don't know how many buyers would walk if they just said "it way be up to a month before it can be transported to your dealer". It's like a serviceman calling the customer from their front door during the appointment time frame. The customer doesn't say "I'm 20 minutes away", because they know the serviceman may well tell them he has other appointments and can't wait. They say, "I'll be there in 5 minutes, I'm right around the corner".

Auto dealers are at the mercy of availability, but don't want to give you anything negative lest you go to another dealer, or brand, thinking you'll do better.

A Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
The Following User Says Thank You to A Guy For This Useful Post:
Jimmy N. (04-13-2019)
post #29 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I just watched his video about the rust on his 90K brand new car, then watched as he went over to his 2015 challenger with hardly any rust on it. Those parts sat outside for ages.

His video about the dodge dealer that made things worse on his hellcat is worth the watch, but 30 minutes long. FCA was trying to screw him on that as well.
post #30 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
As far as Fedex and UPS being able to track a bar code. I'm sure FCA has the capability, they likely just don't want you to see day after day that your new car is sitting waiting for transport now that it is built. They'd rather you be in the dark, and make vague statements. I don't know how many buyers would walk if they just said "it way be up to a month before it can be transported to your dealer". It's like a serviceman calling the customer from their front door during the appointment time frame. The customer doesn't say "I'm 20 minutes away", because they know the serviceman may well tell them he has other appointments and can't wait. They say, "I'll be there in 5 minutes, I'm right around the corner".

Auto dealers are at the mercy of availability, but don't want to give you anything negative lest you go to another dealer, or brand, thinking you'll do better.

A Guy
Well said ^. Should also mention that ETA's shift drastically when the vehicles are in transit. And yes, of course, tens of thousands of dollars of inventory, ie a single vehicle, are continuously tracked.

But understandably, the last thing a dealer wants to do is upset a customer/lose a sale because they were told 'Apr 1' and the vehicle doesn't get there until the 5th - all for reasons that are entirely beyond their control.

I'd point to this, and the many other 'where is my car' threads, as to why no OEM or dealership wants to open this can of flaming snakes & grenades. While the enthusiasm about orders is AWESOME (really - we LOVE our cars don't we?), best to under promise and over deliver than vice versa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode