Getting close to buying... questions... - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Getting close to buying... questions...

Think I'm about ready to buy a new 2018 Challenger R/T.

Haven't set foot on the dealer lot yet and maybe someone at the dealer could answer these but I thought I'd ask here first.

Have a couple of questions a search didn't answer.

1) Is the A/C compressor a constant displacement type or is it the variable displacement type? The car is equipped with the dual zone automatic temperature control. (My current 2 cars have the auto temperature control feature and both have variable displacement A/C compressors. This variable displacement compressor is very nice. It doesn't manifest the constant and I find irritating A/C clutch engagement/disengagement to deliver the necessary level of cooling. The auto temperature control simply adjusts the compressor's displacement to increase/decrease the amount of cooling.)

2) Does the 2018 model with the V8 and coupled to a 6-speed do the engine stop/start thing at stop lights? If so can this be disabled? The car I'm considering has the Super Trak Pak option with "Dodge Performance Pages" if that makes any difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 09:44 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockster View Post
Think I'm about ready to buy a new 2018 Challenger R/T.

Haven't set foot on the dealer lot yet and maybe someone at the dealer could answer these but I thought I'd ask here first.

Have a couple of questions a search didn't answer.

1) Is the A/C compressor a constant displacement type or is it the variable displacement type? The car is equipped with the dual zone automatic temperature control. (My current 2 cars have the auto temperature control feature and both have variable displacement A/C compressors. This variable displacement compressor is very nice. It doesn't manifest the constant and I find irritating A/C clutch engagement/disengagement to deliver the necessary level of cooling. The auto temperature control simply adjusts the compressor's displacement to increase/decrease the amount of cooling.)

2) Does the 2018 model with the V8 and coupled to a 6-speed do the engine stop/start thing at stop lights? If so can this be disabled? The car I'm considering has the Super Trak Pak option with "Dodge Performance Pages" if that makes any difference.
Don't know about the A/C.

None of the Challengers have stop/start.

Those equipped with the Automatic have MDS Cylinder deactivation, which only comes on at speed, and can be disabled by putting the car into sport mode.

2016 Dodge Challenger R/T 392
Jazz Blue, A8, Driver Convenience Group

2018 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab
Bright White, A8+V6
The Following User Says Thank You to praiseV8 For This Useful Post:
aldo90731 (02-10-2018)
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 10:15 AM

Garage
Had never heard of a stop/start before, had to look it up. Yuk.

17 Challenger R/T A8
13 Challenger R/T 6M (Gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 11:26 AM

I have NOT been impressed with the dual zone climate control on the Challenger, or the rest of the HVAC system for that matter. It's always too hot or too cold (same temp setting but different days), neither side seems to get comfortable and it never seems to blow enough air in auto mode. Give me the old manual controls that I can adjust while driving without having to take my eyes off the road to navigate through the infotainment system to get air from just my feet to both head and feet. That's my one big gripe about the car. If you are picky about the dual climate control you really need to drive one for yourself and then decide.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 11:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockster View Post
I can't speak for the Challenger (mine isn't in yet), but I've had a 2011 Charger since 2010 with dual zone climate and I don't recall ever hearing the AC compressor cycling on and off. I'm not sure if they have changed compressors since then, though.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 06:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 2,911 Times in 1,803 Posts
I double the compressors function like you’re describing. Windows down and listening to the exhaust note is even better.
That start stop is the most rediculous feature there is, destroy a starter but save an ounce of gas, sounds like a tree hugger solution.
Just go buy and enjoy the car and don’t ask the dealer any important questions as they will just make up the answer on the fly. The great members here will give you real world and knowledgeable answers.

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is
impossible- but pissing everyone off, is a piece of cake.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yellow Jacket 2012 For This Useful Post:
Grumpy59 (02-07-2018), silver scat (02-06-2018)
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 06:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket 2012 View Post
That start stop is the most rediculous feature there is, destroy a starter but save an ounce of gas, sounds like a tree hugger solution.
That is exactly what it is. To meet CAFE standards, passenger car fleet numbers have had to go up 3% per year since 2016 and only get worse through 2025. Shutting that engine off for a few seconds may only save a tiny amount of gas per stop, but add it up for a year, and across an company's entire produced fleet, and it buys them enough to survive another year. If it also means they get to install new starters in those vehicles at 4 years old instead of 8, that's a bonus.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 06:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 2,911 Times in 1,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josev View Post
That is exactly what it is. To meet CAFE standards, passenger car fleet numbers have had to go up 3% per year since 2016 and only get worse through 2025. Shutting that engine off for a few seconds may only save a tiny amount of gas per stop, but add it up for a year, and across an company's entire produced fleet, and it buys them enough to survive another year. If it also means they get to install new starters in those vehicles at 4 years old instead of 8, that's a bonus.
If on July 20th 1969 we put a man on the moon then why do we need stop start to raise fuel standards??????
They can shove cafe standards up their a sses, it’s all about money because the oil companies would fail if we got 50 mpgs or more out of our cars. We put a man on the moon and they still haven’t found a cure for cancer either as it would destroy many people’s income stream so they just keep things manageable and plugging along. Just stop and think of the mass unemployment numbers and shuttered facilities if cancer was no longer an industry.
Our entire society is based on money no more nothing less.
Today’s news was they are considering a per mile tax on cars out in California because electric and hybrids don’t pay enough or any fuel taxes, again it’s all about bending the public over for their share.
Buy carbon credits, what a load of crap, how does cash fix pollution? It doesn’t but it feeds the governmental cash machine. We the people are just an annuity for the dirt bags in government.
Gee, I feel better now.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yellow Jacket 2012 For This Useful Post:
Calvin43 (12-13-2017), Fawls (12-13-2017), MISCATPACK (12-14-2017)
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 07:35 PM

The climate control in my 18 Challenger is fantastic. Set it and forget it.
The Following User Says Thank You to OregonScat For This Useful Post:
aldo90731 (02-10-2018)
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,355 Times in 2,569 Posts
Garage
These cars have a dual heater core setup ['15 and newer] - so there's an actuator for driver's side, passenger side that regulate the amount of heat directed to each side (and allows blending temps for A/C operation).

So its a single constant displacement style A/C compressor. One chiller circuit feeding into the dual heater core box.

For reference, the earlier ['14 and older] had single zone heating / cooling. '11 brought auto-climate control, where '10 and earlier was manual climate controls...

The only vehicles that are stop start seem to be the Jeep models other than Wrangler that have engine stop/start - they get ~ 1 mpg higher on city cycle and this also lower the CO2 emissions on the EPA test.

For the models sold outside the US, the C02 emissions are a big deal with in the those countries; often the similar setup will be deployed across the line, and for the EPA test cycle, the higher MPG helps with a maker's CAFE number and the credits they earn. [if they're under the CAFE, they get fines...this goes back decades when CAFE requirements came into play]

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode