Having a hurst short shifter just got my entire transmission warranty voided - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Having a hurst short shifter just got my entire transmission warranty voided

Hey guys, been quite a while since I last posted here. I've had a lot going on career wise and the like, but a recent development here with my car has lead me to giving a bit of a PSA back to you guys on saving your warranty.

When I first got my car (2011 SRT8), I noticed some grindiness in the gears -- much more so than the 2009 SRT8 I had before that. After I brought it in, it was found that the clutch plate was not properly set by the factory and was never fully disengaging from the flywheel. They fixed that. I still noticed problems. Shifting 1->2 and 2->3 was still a bit grindy, but they assured me it would "work itself out" over the next thousand miles.

Over the course of the past 1.5 years or so, I've brought by car in 3 times for this grindiness and the fact that going from 2->3 will slam into the gate and refuse to budge unless you consciously make sure to push right while doing so (my 2009 had nothing like this and buttery smooth comparatively). Each time, they said the transmission was fine despite me repeatedly showing them in person how it'd slam into the gate easily. (Note that I have a skip shift installed, so it's not that -- plus its repeatable in all situations, even with the car completely off)

I was getting frustrated, but it was still drivable. This past Saturday, while parking (brake, parking brake, engine off, set to 1st) the handle of my shifter snapped off.

The car has 8500 miles on it, and I've driven my 2009 SRT8 much harder than I had this one (all with the short shifter, I might add). To me, this was evident of the stresses the faulty transmission was putting on the shifter. I took it in for service on Monday.

When I installed the shorter shifter myself on my 2009 Challenger, it accepted the stock shifter. I had my dealer (another dealer) install the one on my 2011 so I wasn't aware that a model change caused Hurst to have to grind down the stock shifters to fit the Hurst part. Therefore I came in expecting to have them replace the shifter itself no big deal and then I was going to press the issue about the transmission that they continually said they couldn't find problems with. They saw the shifter handle, and pointed out that it was ground down and mentioned they likely wouldn't cover it under warranty, and were having a Chrysler rep to come in and look at the transmission complaint (this now being my 4th time bringing it in for it).

Now we're up to 30 minutes ago, I got a call from the dealer saying a Chrysler rep was out, saw the hurst short shifter, and they are now voiding my transmission warranty wholesale. That I should expect an email shortly from Chrysler stating that fact.

I'm pretty livid at this point. The only "modifications" to my car are the Mopar CAI, a catback, and the hurst short shifter. Apparently if Chrysler gets wind of you having a short shifter, your whole transmission warranty is null and void.

I am obviously pursuing this further, but wanted to see if anyone else ran into such problems.

Register your Dodge Challenger at the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Performance Mods: Flowmaster Catback w/IE Mopar Tips, Hurst Short Shifter
Cosmetic Mods: 35% Tint, BT Underhood Kit, Door Sills, WebElectric Sequential Lights, RPI Stealth Splash Guards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 11:26 AM

Similar issue-$5200.00 bucks later...

Mine had to do with the Star # and grease turning to super glue. My "platinum" warranty blamed it on the throwout bearing and Dodge simply said, no factory warranty, no fix. Love the car, DISLIKE Dodge and Tremec.

https://www.challengertalk.com/forums...remecs-227025/

2009 R/T Deep Water Blue 6-Speed (Only 450 made in this trim in 2009)
20" Foose Legend Wheels and HD Brakes
Drilled and Slotted Rotors with Ceramic Pads
Hurst Linkage w/ G & K Mods and Hurst Pistol Grip Shifter
Lowered 1.7" with Eibach Springs and Sway Bars
Blue BT Catch Can-K&N Air Intake-Cabin Air Filter
Mopar Exhaust Tips,Caps,Front Badge,Steering Wheel,and Fuel Door Insert
Caliper Covers, Polished Stainless Steel Under the Hood
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 11:28 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
The stock shifter handle is very weak compared to the block of the Hurst shifter. Since they can prove that adding a beefer shifter caused the handle to be the weak link, they are within their rights to void the transmission warranty. If you want a bullet proof solution get a Barton shifter with the flat stick, there's no way to break that tank. Plus it will be much quieter.

2010 Challenger R/T Classic
.... sold, but not forgotten.

new rig :
2015 Chevy Traverse LTZ, siren red tintcoat.
- Husky all weather floor mats
- Lund bug deflector
- 20% tint all around

The Following User Says Thank You to OmahaRumble For This Useful Post:
shaker2014 (07-17-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
I of course agree they shouldn't warranty the shift stick itself, but I would have to disagree that the presence of a short shifter voids the entire transmission warranty. By Chrysler's actions, even getting some other shifter (Barton or otherwise) would automatically void the entire transmission warranty simply by its presence.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 11:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venthos View Post
I of course agree they shouldn't warranty the shift stick itself, but I would have to disagree that the presence of a short shifter voids the entire transmission warranty. By Chrysler's actions, even getting some other shifter (Barton or otherwise) would automatically void the entire transmission warranty simply by its presence.
No they can only void your warranty if they can prove that an aftermarket product caused failure. Just by simply having mods on your car they will not void the warranty. Read up on the Magnuson Warranty Act.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OmahaRumble For This Useful Post:
ghostrt (07-09-2014), shaker2014 (07-17-2014), snowcat256 (07-10-2014)
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,558 Posts
Garage
That's bunk - the Mopar '10 shifter was the very same Hurst supplied short-throw shifter kit. Factory equipped on those vehicles w/ 6-speed manual.

How can they defend their position, when clearly you've had issues and brought in for a prior issue with the clutch (whatever was done then).

You had brought it for ongoing 1>2 and 2>3 gear grinding issues.

There have been a couple of posts with others having their OEM shifter lever break (and I think some of those were with stock shifters).

I remember the times (when I still had the stock shifter), that going from Neutral > 1st when the light was about to change, that it took some force on occasion to push into the 1st gate due to the compliance of the rubber bushings along with the "slop" of the stock unit (more rubber in the block the lever attaches to).

I kept thinking that eventually something would bend and fail if this went on long enough.
Never had issues with grinding or shifting from one gear to another, aside from the cold-start "notchy" 1>2 shifting...that went away ~ 13.8K.

None of that with the Hurst unit at all, just positive shifts/short throw into each gate and none of those long 2>3 throws or the 4>5 / 5>6 vagueness of the stock shifter.

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hal H For This Useful Post:
70TA-09RT (07-10-2014), ghostrt (01-16-2015), sick'r bee (07-10-2014), snowcat256 (07-10-2014)
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaRumble View Post
No they can only void your warranty if they can prove that an aftermarket product caused failure. Just by simply having mods on your car they will not void the warranty. Read up on the Magnuson Warranty Act.
Correct. That is the basis for me being upset and why I am not dropping it with Chrysler. I guess I'm misunderstanding you here.

I read your initial reply and implying that my broken shifter lever was valid reason for them to void my entire transmission. That is in essence saying the symptom (broken shifter lever caused by faulty transmission) is the justification used against the origin cause (faulty transmission).

It does make sense for them to not warranty the shifter level because of the Hurst short shifter, of course. That makes sense (stronger hurst shifter causing weaker chrysler stick to break). I am not arguing that.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 11:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venthos View Post
Correct. That is the basis for me being upset and why I am not dropping it with Chrysler. I guess I'm misunderstanding you here.

I read your initial reply and implying that my broken shifter lever was valid reason for them to void my entire transmission. That is in essence saying the symptom (broken shifter lever caused by faulty transmission) is the justification used against the origin cause (faulty transmission).

It does make sense for them to not warranty the shifter level because of the Hurst short shifter, of course. That makes sense (stronger hurst shifter causing weaker chrysler stick to break). I am not arguing that.

It's definitely a raw deal, and I totally agree that it's bogus to void the entire transmission warranty for a shifter handle that breaks with stress over time. It's just that I've seen Chrysler do this so many times to other people. They find ANY reason to say "this mod caused this", etc, and then they take the opportunity to void your warranty. In your case you have nothing to lose by fighting it. Although it's not fair what they are doing, I understand their "logic" if you want to call it that.

Best of luck to you though, I hope you get it figured out.
The Following User Says Thank You to OmahaRumble For This Useful Post:
sick'r bee (07-10-2014)
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 02:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,458 Posts
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan
Sounds like a bad dealer/rep, I would fight it. Having a Hurst isn't grounds for having the transmission warranty nullified. My local dealer had no problem with my Hurst being installed when I took it in for the clutch issues, they covered the actuator and pilot bearings under warranty, but I had to pay for a new clutch and the labor. No restrictions or other issues with my warranty.

Keep us posted, but definitely fight it especially since you've had documented problems.

FWIW, the TR-6060 is known to have problems with the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts when the trans is cold. Once the fluid warms up after 5-10 miles it should be fine. This has been a problem for Camaro and Mustang GT500 owners as well.

If your trans is still notchy or grinding even after being driven for a while then there's something more going on than the "usual" problem.

2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack, B5, 6-speed, SPAG, WRTs, sunroof, SGII, Convenience, Tech and Leather; UPR catch can, skip-shift eliminator, Mopar splash guards.
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, Inferno Red, 4.7L V8
RIP 11/2/14 - 2011 Challenger R/T Classic GWE 6-speed
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yahooligan For This Useful Post:
70TA-09RT (07-10-2014), sick'r bee (07-10-2014), wasp392 (07-10-2014)
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 02:45 PM

What a mess... I'd call Chrysler executive customer care. I know the Business center in Texas is a pain to deal with but if you call executive customer care you can get the warranty bit straightened out. If I were you I would check your vin number in a few days if it's not warranty blocked. I would take it to a different dealer and get that fixed, and have the other dealer see the transmission noise. That should be enough for them to warranty the tremec. That transmission has all kinds of issues. Worst case scenario get a lawyer.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2doorrocket For This Useful Post:
sick'r bee (07-10-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode